Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

3 biggest Georgia football Sugar Bowl storylines

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited December 2019 in Article commenting

image3 biggest Georgia football Sugar Bowl storylines

Georgia football will play on the national stage in the Sugar Bowl with Jake Fromm leading the way but other key pieces missing

Read the full story here

Comments

• BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited December 2019

Concerning Fromm: I don't see Fromm going any higher than the 4th round.....That is unless he just knocks them dead at the combines....If he pulls a Holyfield, he will suffer the same faith and will not be drafted......I think he comes back next year...But I will say that, at least this time around, his job as #1 QB is not guaranteed....But this game? Yeah scouts are going to be tuning in....If he throws under 50% and passes are going over people's heads and behind them....they are going to take notice

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Brian Heroine? Really? I wonder if that would have gotten by Bisher when he was editing the AJC. Maybe Brian is sitting out to contemplate his libal suit!

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • RedPantsDawgRedPantsDawg Posts: 174 ✭✭✭ Junior

Here you go:

1. This game is the first scrimmage of the 2020 season. Yes, try everything to win but keep it in perspective. Give the young guns a chance to prove themselves and make it to the top of the spring initial roster.
    2. He's coming back.
    3. He's not playing.
  • reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I like Jake Fromm. He is a great leader. Great human being. Is he a guy to get us a NC? I don't think so. (Can I say that without being **** to death?) Why not? He's had 2 chances. But the bottom line is, he doesn't make plays with his legs. Joe Burrow does, Tua does, Trevor Lawrence brought Clemson back from the brink of death with his running, Jalen hurts does. He killed UGA anyone remember? Fields does. Cam Newton, Jamarcus Russell, Nick Marshall, Deshaun Watson, Vince Young, even Doug Flutie back in the day.

I think this day and age when the shrapnel is flying late in a close game you have to have a guy who can do something with his legs. I'm sorry but Jake can't do that. I watched Tua beat us with his legs and the same with Hurts. When the pressure is on Jake he can't extend plays and scramble and that is the difference in being great and a really good player. If Lawrence can't run in that game Saturday, then Clemson gets beat, plain and simple. Great passer aside.

Everyone on here(I think) would like for UGA to win a Natty. If you believe we can do that with Jake if he comes back that's cool, I will be pulling for him too. As of right now he's our best chance. I'm just offering my realistic assessment. Hope I'm wrong. Then you can all laugh at me and I'll be eating crow, but celebrating a Natty!

P.S. it was going to be extremely hard for Fields to come in and beat out Jake after "almost" leading us to the Natty. But if you believe he got a fair chance to showcase his talent( other than mopping up late in the 4th quarter), then I don't know what you were watching. If there was one thing CKS was going to make darn sure he didn't have was a QB controversy. He didn't. And the rest is history.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Fromm's goals will determine his fate as an NFL contender. I can see him with the G on his helmet next season training hard for another 11 or 12-win season but worrying about whether it will rain or not.....remember??? Or, he may go in the 4th round of NFL draft or whatever...both scenarios. He has a stable of good new recruits to work with......Rosemy, Smith, as receivers and Kendall Milton..5-star RB...a powerhouse. The OL is still beefy with iron man recruits and in the capable hands of new OLC Matt Luke. I would like to know how good this Carson Beck really is at QB in the SEC? He could give Fromm a solid test next summer. Baylor is next...GO DAWGS!!!

• JimmyBobJimmyBob Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think Smart is a very good coach and I think we are far better off than when he took over. He's a great recruiter who loves the school and I think he's got a great shot at winning a natty in the future....HOWEVER, he has got to get his program together. Richt always had a few guys mess up with the law here and there, but this is crazy having this number of players out for a bowl game. I get the injuries and guys prepping for NFL, but all these failed tests (both drug and academic) is a major red flag, as is bringing in a kid like Pickens. I've never heard of a player getting tossed in the 3rd quarter for fighting after already missing the first half for violating team rules. Not only were Nick and Sony great players who sacrificed to come back for a senior season, but they were high character guys. I know there are several high character guys on this team, but it seams Kirby is getting a little too willing to take a chance on dudes who still need to grow up. There's a certain RB who's trending towards us that seems to fit that description, too.

• bigdawg88bigdawg88 Posts: 64 ✭✭ Sophomore

If y'all mention substance abuse suspensions without names one more time...!! Just drop it if you aren't going to name the names. Otherwise people will start speculating on whether some of the injuries are really drug suspensions. Y'all need to do better.

• 1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2019

If they aren't in New Orleans because of academics, or failed drug tests.. That's entirely THEIR fault, and they can't pass the blame on to others for their actions..

• 1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wonder how many remember ol' Furman? Keep on and we'll be telling our ages lol Always liked that name..ShoottheHooch. Tried the Chattahooche River raft race a couple of times, many moons ago.

• JimmyBobJimmyBob Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

Just another comment on this: I get Kirby being wary of the media, but credibility is important. Not addressing all these players not being at the bowl game just fuels speculation. I also think he handled Swift's status during the SECCG poorly. After only getting a handful of touches, Kirby said Swift seemed fine to him. Well, that means one of two things: Kirby was plain out lying about Swift's injury, or he and the staff were spectacularly **** in only giving their best offensive player a handful of touches. Which was it?

• osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Look, y’all: Fields did fine at OSU against non-SEC competition. He wasn’t better than Fromm at UGA with GA’s scheme. End of story. Please stop bringing him up. He was fine for OSU, fair for UGA. He left because he wasn’t going to be better than Jake for another year, and didn’t want to sit in a mop-up position for that year. Good for him; he got to be in the spotlight until he sputtered. His legs didn’t help him there. Neither did his inability to watch the field for a second. Sure, Fromm came out slow in the pocket here and there, but the decisions he made in that hole kept us on top more often than not.

• BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

Last time I checked that G has been on the helmet every game for the last 50+ years

• UGADAWG4LifeUGADAWG4Life Posts: 273 ✭✭✭ Junior

College is a great place to mature and grow up ! What better place than Athens and the UGA program

• ancelyancely Posts: 79 ✭✭✭ Junior

It's surprising how many comments are made by people who don't know much about the passing game. When receivers run the wrong route and the ball is where they should have been it's not on the qb. Balls in the air before the break and Of course if qb could throw them and catch them that would help his completion %.

• ancelyancely Posts: 79 ✭✭✭ Junior

Read what Todd McShay? NFL draft analyst says after watching play by play of Fromm's season. He's definitely not a big DAWG fan just a play by play analysis of his season.