Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

WATCH Richard LeCounte assuming leadership role: 'It's something bigger than football'

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited December 2019 in Article commenting

imageWATCH Richard LeCounte assuming leadership role: 'It's something bigger than football'

NEW ORLEANS — Richard LeCounte provided insight into a mindset that’s made him one of the most promising and improved defensive backs in the SEC this season. The Georgia junior safety is asserting himself now more than ever with All-American safety J.R. Reed’s decision to skip the Senior Bowl after suffering a foot

Read the full story here

Comments

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

J.R. Reed and his minor foot injury excuse is very disappointing. I know that Richard LeCounte, as the new leader of the secondary, takes this new role very seriously. He is stepping up when needed most...like a true Dawg!!!

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Good for Lecounte! He is a fine young man. He has come a long way. CKS must be proud of him too. I promise you Lecounte will always be one of Smart's favorite players. He was his first commit and he plays Smart's position!

I will make no assumptions about Reed's decision to sit out this game. Reed has ALWAYS been a devoted Dawg. I will not question his integrity because he has never given us any reason to question it.

Go Dawgs!

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Man, I hope Richard stays for his senior season! Kirby has been grooming him for this moment since he stepped on campus!

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've had times where I've been critical of Richard's play (I still think he takes bad angles to the ball carrier too often) but one thing that has NEVER been in doubt is his loyalty and love for the University of Georgia and its football team. Glad to see it because we need more like him right now.

As for J.R. Reed, those of us upset and disappointed that he's not in New Orleans are not necessarily impugning his integrity, but we're not ignoring the obvious either out of some sort of blind faith to him. Up until now, he has given 100 percent to the Dawgs. But the current evidence would indicate that he walked out on the team. What evidence?

1. Tyson Campbell, a fellow starter with Reed in the UGA defensive secondary did not even realize Reed wasn't going to play in the Sugar Bowl until AFTER the team arrived in New Orleans. Now we must assume that as starters on the same team, Campbell and Reed practice together, so this tells me that whatever Reed's injury was (is), it wasn't so severe that his own teammates thought he would miss the game.
    2. Well before team left Athens, Kirby Smart said he would only take players who wanted to play in the Sugar Bowl, who were engaged. Yet he's taken both Lawrence Cager and Dominick Blaylock, even though though both of them have season-ending injuries. So CKS takes two guys who weren't even on the UGA campus six months ago and who can't play a down in New Orleans, but leaves behind a senior 2-year starter, permanent team captain and Jim Thorpe Award finalist because he has a "minor" foot injury. What, he's on mandatory rest?
    3. Which leads me to D'Andre Swift. Here's a guy that everyone remotely knowledgeable about UGA football knows is fighting a painful injury, who is nearly a lock to be one of the first -- if not THE FIRST -- running backs taken in the upcoming draft, who not only travels to New Orleans with his teammates but by all accounts, is doing all he can to try and play Wednesday, even though it's fairly clear, according to those same accounts, that he won't be 100 percent and ready to go. But the point is, he's with the team, he's trying to play even though few would probably blame him if he simply said, "my shoulder is hurting me too much to go out there." Yet Reed is sitting back at home nursing (we assume) his self described "minor" foot injury. Since Kirby is obviously rewarding those players he believes are all in, even injured-for-the-season players, one would assume he would have brought Reed. Even if he couldn't play, he could provide insight and help for youngsters such as Lewis Cine and Otis Reese. But the fact he's not in New Orleans, is indicative of how Smart feels about his injury status.

Go Dawgs!

• UGADAWG4LifeUGADAWG4Life Posts: 273 ✭✭✭ Junior

Lead us to victory LeCounte ! Go Dawgs ! Beat Baylor !

• SCJdawgSCJdawg Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

Love this young man and his attitude... ever since he made that Christmas video and promised we wouldn't lose to FL on his watch.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Stay another year kid and be a possible 1st round draft pick, even if you go in the high second round you'll more than likely make a significant amount of change more after next season than coming out this year. Think of it as you said, " a job." A job where putting in the time will garner you thousands, no tens of thousands, possibly even hundreds of thousands more , just by being patient. Be wise.

DGD!!.