Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

How Georgia football ended up missing on Tank Bigsby, Theo Johnson and some of its top targets

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited December 2019 in Article commenting

imageHow Georgia football ended up missing on Tank Bigsby, Theo Johnson and some of its top targets

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more. Why Georgia ended up missing on some of its top targets Georgia football and Kirby Smart have put themselves in

Read the full story here

Comments

• kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Yeah as far as the TE goes. I totally see why we can't get top TE's like we want. 1 target maybe a game, yeah I wouldn't entertain the idea of coming either. Like with woerner, extremely talented, 4 years playing. 1 TD. That's terrible. Yeah I know nauta done well, but that's because of his lofty me first attitude. Like most 5 stars. And tank bigsby, auburn is about as unreal as it gets. Malzahn is a salesman. Point blank. As far as the others go, I could see why they would turn away, it's hard to want to go somewhere where youth rules the roster. Why would you want to go, when the guy ahead of you is only a class ahead of you. Now if we were chock full of seniors, then you can sell that pitch.

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Milton ( who would be higher rated had he not committed in July) and Evans were UGA's priority, with Bigsby coming in third.

Don't blame the kid for not wanting to come in as third choice, but no need to lie about how he was recruited...

Hopefully Malzahn can bring in some other RB's to help Bigsby out. Otherwise the kid might not have much tread left if he makes it to the NFL. Best of luck with that...

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If we had signed Tank we wouldn’t have a chance for Zach. Good example where we can’t take everyone. You can also say the same for Theo and Darnell. I just hope we sign Zach and Darnell so my comment isn’t **** ;-)

Go Dawgs and Happy New Year!!!

• RomeDawg288RomeDawg288 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We got our "thunder" target - Milton, and will hopefully add our "lightning" target in Evan's. Sounds like the chance to be two for two in the RB chase!

• ATDATD Posts: 258 ✭✭✭ Junior

Agree with the other post about the TE position. The lack of targets to our TEs the last 2-3 seasons has been a real head scratcher, especially when Nauta was in the lineup. We honestly don't have a highlight reel to show a recruit how they will be featured to showcase their talents. Given today's pass-friendly rules, a dominant TE is a huge third down, chain-moving necessity. Hopeful that the staff has made this a commitment going forward and done a good job of showing Washington how he can make UGA a destination for future elite players at the position.

• Tom1111Tom1111 Posts: 179 ✭✭✭ Junior

Doesn’t really matter how many 5 star receivers we get if we are not going to utilize them. We had Pickens and Robertson and how many passes were thrown their way ? Until we get a OC that utilizes the talent we have , we are spinning our wheels.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

" The Bulldogs will end up with a top-three signing class for the fourth consecutive season. It will be the only team in the country that can say that."

That's great, but when all the hype is said and done the Georgia Bulldogs have only made the playoffs ONCE. And we lost.

That boils down to player development and coaching. All the #1 recruiting classes in the world won't win you a National Championship if you can't coach or develop players well enough.

Kirby MUST close the deal within the next couple of years or his tenure will be seen as one who came close but couldn't finish the drill. As I've said many times, close is only good enough in horseshoes and hand grenades. It ain't good enough for the likes and monies spent on this program.

GO DAWGS!

• ChiTownDawgChiTownDawg Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

First of all CR, you can't get everyone. If we get Ringo, Evans, Washington and another DT or CB, UGA will have a Top 1 or 2 class. I think the 2 biggest questions are 1. Is Fromm going to stay? 2. Is Coley the right OC? If Fromm leaves, we don't have any experienced QBs and not really sure on the status of Mathis. We will need to bring in a transfer such as Costello from Stanford. If Fromm stays, we need the OC to get creative and get past page 2 in the playbook. Coley (or a new OC or QB coach like Brady at LSU) has to open up the O. Maybe we could get Hines Ward in to teach our receivers to block and get separation. Or maybe throw to the TEs. Or maybe run the toss sweep more. Or maybe run a screen pass to the RBs.

• kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

That goes back to kirby and his whole mantra about "he doesn't block well". Like with demetris, all the speed in the world. "He's gotta show he's physical and blocking for the running backs". That's why we lost out on haselwood. If our offensive philosophy doesn't change, we're gonna have 2 and 3 star receivers that are butterfingers but block well. I mean yeah fromm has been off this year, but something has to give.

• GBALGBAL Posts: 739 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited December 2019

He had 19 receptions.... The top FR receiver in the country had 37 receptions... and played for UGA. Unfortunantly he was also UGA's top receiver as well. LSU and Bama each had 2 receivers with over 70 catches each.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm with RomeDawg288.....pairing Milton and Evans is like Michel and Chubb deux. Both can explode through a defense for long yardage. We have to get away from the 3rd and sixes, etc. These two can handle it. Also, I have to believe Rosemy is ready to plug into the WR role opposite Pickens.... couple of wild pups!!!! Washington and Ringo are still questionable but we should know soon. I do think Evans will sign.

• rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It kind of sounds like a couple of these guys didn't get the feeling that each was absolutely the most important recruit on UGA board. If a coach is being honest (as at one lost recruit says) how can everyone be the single most important target? If you tell everyone that they're NUMBER 1, what happens when they talk to each other? We are going to end up, at the worst, with the number 3 class and some of you fans are trashing Kirby! The real world doesn't work with coddling prima donnas. I want the players that desperately want to be DAWGS. That way, the transfer portal is not filled with players leaving UGA.

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Couple of things. I hear ya about Haselwood @GBAL. He may have only had 19 receptions BUT the receiver on the other side of him was named CeeDee Lamb and he was a monster. In addition to all of that, Haselwood started and played in the CFP as a freshman, something that Pickens isn't able to say. And if history is any indication, he'll play in the CFP during his entire college career, again a distinction that neither Pickens -- or any other current UGA player -- will be able to say. I'm not saying we should have taken one or the other. I am saying that Haselwood didn't make a mistake in choosing OU.

I agree with many of the points of other posters. Of the kids mentioned in the article, Johnson seemed like the most thoughtful and on point. And it sounds like he really wanted to be a Dawg but even our own coaches couldn't show him tangible evidence that we develop tight ends. That in and of itself is sad. And the fact that's true is knock against the coaches. Seems after all this time, they would rectify that situation; that they haven't is troubling. And confounding.

As for Tank, he's the most confusing of all. Go to Auburn if that's your desire. But in ALL of the recruiting stuff I've ever seen, I never seen or heard any kid say that UGA coaches were phony and/or lied to them. In fact, it's almost always the complete opposite of that. Even the kids who don't sign with us often praise CKS and the other coaches for being "real" with them. Sounds like Tank either thought, or wanted to be our #1 guy for RB and when he wasn't, he became bitter. Oh well. Next!

• Dawg88Dawg88 Posts: 202 ✭✭✭ Junior

Missed on Bigsby and Johnson? 😂 Evans is better than Bigsby. Washington is better than Johnson. Burch was always a reach and Dexter is overrated. Who gives a rip what the 3rd or 4th options think about Georgia? The whole premise of this article is goofy and if it needed to be written at all (it didn't) then it would have been better to wait till the recruiting cycle was completely over. But then, it would have been even goofier to whine about the No. 1 class in the nation. So, yeah. 🙄 Of course, some folks have a weird need to bash the program they claim to support and obviously any negative angle will do, no matter how much of a reach it is.

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Uhhhhh, I think Washington over Johnson works for most people. Zach Evans for Tanks Bigsby. Yeah, I'll take that one too.

Nice troll job Conner Riley, but it won't work!