Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Caleb Williams: No. 1 junior QB has LSU, UGA and four others in mind

SystemSystem Posts: 10,680 admin
edited January 2020 in Article commenting

imageCaleb Williams: No. 1 junior QB has LSU, UGA and four others in mind

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Caleb Williams. That's the guy at quarterback in 2021. For a lot of big-name schools. There is no bigger target for the Bulldogs in the 2021 recruiting class than Williams. Georgia has been and continues to be in the race for the 5-star QB. Williams said offensive coordinator James Coley has let him

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2020

I am perfectly fine with UGA going all-in on a special QB like Williams. Get him on campus, take the chance on losing a few games his Freshman year and start him unless there is a VERY special talent already ahead of him. All due respect to Beck, Mathis and Bennett-they currently do not appear to be that guy. Good but not great at QB should not be our MO. Good hasn't been good enough for UGA. BAMA and Clemson do not settle for good at the most important position in all of sports!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

“I know that I have certain abilities, I believe myself, that even though I am in high school that [Jake] Fromm doesn’t have,” Williams said. “No offense to Fromm. Fromm is a wonderful guy. He’s the smartest guy that I have seen offensive wise. But he can’t move as much. So they don’t do as much.”

Markdawg is spot on....This kid is egocentric! Waiting until HE says yes or no could be a bitter pill for UGA. Could miss many other candidates. You gonna tell them you are waiting for Caleb Williams before selecting??? 2021 is a ways down the road coaches....why wait that long for this kid>? He'd hit the transfer portal at first let down or problem. I am not saying he does not have talent!!!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There is believing in yourself and then there is egotism. Not sure how these guys are not going to believe they are better than they really are when everyone is blowing them up with "You're the guy."

• Options
    BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As he said, “No offense to Fromm” I say “No offense to Caleb Williams” but that clip shows me that he is playing against a bunch of slow, smallish high schoolers. And, why in the hell would we make him such a priority as to not go after another QB just so he could play out his recruitment to the very end. Makes no sense to me. Wanna be a Dawg, be a Dawg but enough with the games from eighteen year olds! Go Dawgs!

• Options
    SAVYSAVY Posts: 260 ✭✭✭ Junior

No more letting these big fish go elsewhere. The really do need to be all in on this guy.

• Options
    PetesdawgsPetesdawgs Posts: 412 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

No longer all the eggs in one basket and go get the Georgia kid who just decommitted from Oklahoma.

• Options
    LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2020

Did we seriously not learn a lesson with the other 5* QB who transferred?

What if Fromm stays next year? What if Fromm leaves and Carson Beck absolutely kills it?

Seriously, there is a difference in wanting a recruit badly and wanting him so bad that you tell him something like they did and he tells it for all the world to hear. That really makes Coley look bad IMHO.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Best of luck in your decision young man..GoDAWGS!

• Options
    UGADAWG4LifeUGADAWG4Life Posts: 273 ✭✭✭ Junior

Brock to UGA is still a strong possibility! Vandagriff and Caleb Williams are the big fishes we are looking at.

• Options

"Vandagriff lives 14 miles from the University of Georgia, and as he said in the interview, Georgia would be the favorite should he de-commit."

These young high schoolers change their minds all the time. He is already talking with Florida. You will have to work on this one coaches. He is quite the catch.

• Options

Time to move on writers!!!

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hold on, everybody. This kid says the coaches told him they would not accept a commitment from another QB until hearing from him. But what did the coaches actually say to him? Of course, they can't talk about an unsigned kid, but we just don't know. Maybe they actually said, "we'll wait as long as we can on you," which is not the same as saying "we'll wait indefinitely." Or maybe they said, "we'll wait but before we accept another commitment, we'll let you know." I mean, there could be all sorts of little nuances and discussions in the actual conversations he's had with our coaches. I'm not getting my hopes up because when a kid this talented has this many schools on his radar, I always think UGA is just being thrown in there for the mix, like Notre Dame and Southern California in the old days.

But it's hard for me to believe UGA would turn away Brock Vamdagriff if he expressed a desire to sign with the Dawgs! Then again, I wouldn't have believed Matt Landers would have caught a TD pass in the Sugar Bowl, either, so I guess anything is possible. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The guy make be great but he has not played a down of College football yet. No way I set on the sideline with an recruits awaiting any an who is not committed to me. If he wants to be a Dawg then he needs to commit. I don’t Georgia would be that foolish.

• Options
    RealityBasedDawgFanRealityBasedDawgFan Posts: 198 ✭✭✭ Junior

I see that a lot of the UGA faithful Still have not learned what it takes to be a national champion, not just an SEC East/Sugar Bowl champ.....

• Options
    budknox310budknox310 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

At my age, I can call them kids. But I want these kids to be part of a family, not to think they are an only child. Isn't Vandergriff from Ga? Is there any hope for him? 5* also, I believe. Why not go after him?

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Brock Vandergriff plays at Prince Avenue Christian in Bogart Georgia just outside of Athens. He often spoke about Georgia and Florida and they were finalist along with Oklahoma prior to choosing OU. I hope Kirby goes all in on this kid. He is very bright and level headed. He Dad is a coach and has coached at both high school and collegiate levels and is the mastermind that modified the M43 defense.

Brock has been taught to understand defenses from the defensive side of the ball by his Dad. So he knows how to adjust and is not easily fooled. Brock is a humble kid with great confidence in his abilities and what those abilities bring to the game. Kirby needs to get this kid quick because Mullen is all over him.