Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Not a big basketball guy, but

Huntindawg81Huntindawg81 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

can someone explain to me why you can play 1 year in college and then hit the draft? That has to be a freakin nightmare on coaches going after elite players. You get Edwards for 1 year and then what? Back to being below average? From what I do know, UGA doesnt have a history of landing big recruits for basketball. Sorry if this has been discussed, still sittin at work bored out of my mind and trying not to fall asleep.

Comments

• UGA21UGA21 Posts: 54 ✭✭✭ Junior

Well first of all we won on the road vs a top 10 team with Edwards shooting 4-17 from the field. The program won't collapse without him. The difference in rules between football and basketball is because basketball players are physically mature enough to play in the NBA out of high school while there are practically no 18 year olds who could do well in the NFL (not to mention the injury risk). I'm pretty sure in a couple years the top basketball talent will be allowed to bypass college altogether.

• dradcliffdradcliff Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You have to decide as a coach if you are going to go after those kids that plan on being there for just one year or if you are going after a lesser talent that you can develope. As a coach I am sure they would rather develope players. However, bringing in a player like Antman will help with recruiting that year and future years if you win and he goes high enough on the draft. Wins are good for job security.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2020

One and done? Duke's been dealing with it for years. Good coaches adapt to the rules as they are.

• pocoyopocoyo Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Looks like a "one and out" player is giving UGA some cred. That alone makes it worth it.

• TuckyDawgTuckyDawg Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I dont like the one and done, but Ky, Duke and a few others have cast their lot with it. I would rather see it like Baseball, where you can go pro straight out of HS,, but if you deicide on College you have to stay for 3 years.

• scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2020

I’d think it’s all about getting your program out there. Kids today don’t have long memories but they now know the Dawgs because of Antman. Gotta help recruiting.

Then, when you have a solid program in place you can try to supplement that with a 1 year guy to put you over the top.

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Here’s the thing. Our current team has two players from last year’s team. The rest are 3-5 star players, mostly four-stars. Edwards is a great basketball player, but he’s also a great teammate and shares the spotlight. CTC is building something quickly here. I just hope he stays for 5+ years to cement the trajectory of the program.

• MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Top 5 class gets the ball rolling, Antman's success shows other prospects Crean can get it done at Georgia, like he did at Marquette and Indiana with other Top 5 picks.

Edwards has been a great ambassador and representative for Georgia.

If you haven't seen him play or heard or seen his interviews, you are really missing out. This guy is special.

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think Edwards is special also. But it sure looks like his game would benefit from staying another year. He has played 352 minutes and is shooting 43%. I'm not a basketball expert but it is the second lowest percentage on the team. Would that be a problem for the NBA?

• PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

While his game might benefit from another year of seasoning with the way the NBA draft works he's a shoe in for a top-5 pick based on potential alone provided his play doesn't fall off the table the rest of the season.