Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Jake Fromm: What we're hearing right now on stay or go to the NFL Draft

SystemSystem Posts: 10,528 admin
edited January 2020 in Article commenting

imageJake Fromm: What we're hearing right now on stay or go to the NFL Draft

Will he stay or will he go? DawgNation has learned the Jake Fromm decision will likely come to a head soon. Very soon. What is the latest?

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    randyglass14randyglass14 Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'm torn...for next year alone, Fromm back at QB is clearly the best thing for UGA's chances to be back in the CFP given the lack of depth at backup. However, UGA should be able to more easily open up the offense will a more mobile QB (Beck, Mathis, or transfer) which is an urgently needed progression.

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

And now with tua going pro, he may just stick around. Come on back jake and go into Tuscaloosa beat the crimson tide. It may be your final chance.

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Decision making and accuracy is the cake. Mobility is the icing. I'll take Fromm for one more year over Beck, Mathis, or any grad transfer. There's been 4 mobile/dual threat QB's who've won Natty's in the last 15 years: Vince Young, Cam Newton, Deshaun Watson and Trevor Lawrence. The other 11 were not mobile/dual threat. I'd rather have a mobile QB but that's a preference not a prerequisite to win Natty's.

• Options
    FalconUGAFanFalconUGAFan Posts: 142 ✭✭✭ Junior

I hear ya and agree to a point but who better to learn from than Fromm on progressions, work ethic and grit. I hope he stays one more year to help the young Pups and and compete for a Natty.

• Options
    ItchyZItchyZ Posts: 179 ✭✭✭ Junior

...and Tua bolts for the NFL.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Tua just declared for the draft.....Fromm stays....IMO!

• Options
    97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 349 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Yep, I think Jake stays now that Tua's gone.

• Options
    Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

Maybe Fromm can speak to Herschel Walker. I don't know Walker's exact feelings about it, but he declined a senior season for a $2 million payday from the USFL.

I could be wrong, but I assume Herschel would gladly pay back the money to go back and have a chance at another Heisman and national championship, not to mention setting rushing records that would never, ever be broken.

I want Jake to do what is best for him and his family, but there are some things more valuable than money.

• Options

Yeah, was around when Herschel Walker won that natty. He was UGA's best player, and top Dawg...won the Heisman. Interesting what he would say regarding his senior year walk out. We were all crest fallen at the time. He is often over at the practice sessions even now. He has spoken with Jake...count on it. Hershel I'm sure will agree money is not at the root of one's life path. Jake is a prayer warrior....he will get his answer!

• Options
    budknox310budknox310 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

No disrespect but I wouldn't put TL in that group, he can definitely run, but more of a true pocket passer than the others you mentioned. Put in Tua/Hurts in there instead. But also add the qb for Ohio state, he was also a dual threat.

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I can tell you for a fact that Herschel got bamboozled by then-New Jersey Generals owner, Donald Trump. Herschel did indeed sign with an agent, who told him that he had three days to back out of the deal if he didn't like it. Donald Trump told him the same thing and said he would gladly let Herschel out of the deal if Herschel had second thoughts. (Kind of similar to how you can take a car or an appliance back within 3 days nowadays, no questions asked).

But what both the agent and Trump knew (but Herschel didn't) was that NCAA rules at the time AUTOMATICALLY made a college player ineligible to continue playing, even if said player later came back and said he was no longer interested in turning pro and wanted to come back to school. The rule was pretty ironclad. In other words, even if Herschel had decided that he didn't want to go pro (which, in fact, he did decide that about 24 hours after signing the contract) he still would not have been able to come back to the Dawgs, or any other NCAA institution. It's what's commonly known as having him by the short hairs.

As a result of that option, which was really no option at all, Herschel went ahead and announced that he was leaving UGA to go play for the Generals in the now-defunct USFL. He had no choice at that point. He did quite well his rookie year, but we all are left to wonder what might have been had he been able to return to Georgia for his senior season.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,884 mod

Trump didn’t own the team until after Herschel was on the team

• Options

Thank you Kasey. That is true. Herschel was a member of the NJ Generals before Trump bought them. That was not Dallas Dawgs point...I don't think. After Trump bought the team he negotiated with Herschel...if I read about it correctly. Actually, the bigger news then was Trump signing Doug Flutie! Trump liked splash and celebrity recognition to increase ticket sales. It did. For awhile.

• Options
    VenomGAVenomGA Posts: 363 ✭✭✭ Junior

If Kirby and James Coley will talk with Fromm about opening up the offense more like what he had in high school, we could be in for an EPIC season especially with the defense we have coming back. But this is the key....OPENING up the offense.