Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Triggered: Jake Fromm NFL decision could be determined by Tua Tagovailoa Alabama announcement

SystemSystem Posts: 10,410 admin
edited January 2020 in Article commenting

imageTriggered: Jake Fromm NFL decision could be determined by Tua Tagovailoa Alabama announcement

Georgia QB Jake Fromm has a big decision to make, whether or not to return to the Bulldogs or make himself eligible for the NFL draft

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

My gut tells me Jake is leaning toward leaving. It seems like the decision to stay would have already been made if it was strictly about being in college, around teammates, and wanting that championship. I would like to see him come back, but my reasons are selfish, I wish Fromm the best with whatever decision he makes.

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Nothin new here.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2020

Wishing Jake the best whatever he decides is best for him. Hoping that decision is returning to Athens to help teach a Corp of young, talented, inexperienced QB's..GoDAWGS!

• Options
    DawgOnTopDawgOnTop Posts: 15 ✭✭ Sophomore

Posting again what I posted three days ago on the Eric Zeier article. As one can see, moving up even one QB slot in the draft is millions of dollars. This is all a business decision. /////

If this is about money, here's what Fromm likely already knows from last year's top five selected quarterbacks. They are (name/round drafted/overall pick/contract) --

Kyler Murray, 1/1, $35M

Daniel Jones, 1/6, $17.2M

Dwayne Haskins, 1/15, $14.4M

Drew Lock, 2/42, $7M

Will Grier, 3/100, $3.8M

Unless I'm looking under the wrong rocks, Todd McShay, Mel Kiper, and a recently released CBS Sports mock draft all seem to have him as the #5 (+/-1) QB taken. Seeing how much Fromm likes the college game, simply moving from the #4 or 5 QB to the #3 next year, although not guaranteed, the decision might actually seem easier than one might think (hint, return). Good luck in your decision, Jake.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I haver already made my feelings known several times. He really needs that last year to cement any doubts in anyone's mind...even his own. That one crown still awaits. I am all for him remaining at UGA. Tua, I would think would opt for the NFL. Further injuries could damage his draft grade. Plus, the incoming cast of Georgia recruit players is phenomenal! Fromm knows this. He also knows there is no Fromm ll on tap at the moment....Carson Beck....but he is such a raw recruit. UGA backup QB Stetson Bennett just isn't championship material in my eyes....yet. Transfer QB is only other option. This is why Fromm needs one more year and so does UGA!

• Options
    97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 346 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I've been thinking for a while that Tua's decision would factor into Jake's. The other thing that comes to my mind is Jake's floor a year from now. Barring a career-ending injury, Jake likely wouldn't drop any further from #5 overall should he opt to return. He the key question is how high he would realistically climb. It seems thaqt there isn't much upward mobility for him if Tua comes back. so I'm guessing if Tua stays, Jake goes and vice versa.

• Options
    KBPKBP Posts: 379 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I wonder how many teams are taking a QB in the first round this year? My guess is Cincinnati and Miami but who is fairly certain there will be more than two QB's taken in the first round this year? Who thinks the Chargers, Indy, and Tampa are taking QB's because if they don't. . . . To me this issue should be less about Tua and more about is a team in the first round interested in Fromm. The 3-5th rated QB in this draft could go in the second round or later.

• Options
    rjallenrjallen Posts: 74 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 2020

In this College Football world of "Business is business", there is another factor for Fromm should consider. While not not the first or second issue on this QB's list of considerations. In the long term, it may be of great importance.

Even with a late first round or even a high second round selection, there is no guarantee of a long highly paid career as a NFL QB. Yes the up front money is great but, as with Shockley, Green and Murray, pro careers can be short and frustrating.

Fromm is a Georgian native son. In all likelihood he will make this state his home for many years. A good 4th year would go a long way in assuring Jake a high place as a Georgia sports celebrity. I could be wrong and he could make a very good coach, but I do not think, at least for the present, he is thinking about a coaching career. As a four year starter at QB, his analytical and verbal skills, Jake would make a very good sport's analyst or he could use his great fame to profess his Christian faith. An early departure to the pros would not help him with this future. In any case, I hope he returns but I really wish him well in whatever he chooses to do. Is and will always be a DGD.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Look at what it did for Burrow's draft stock when his talented sophmore receiver (Jefferson) became a junior and his two talented freshmen receivers (Chase and Marshall) became sophmores. Like Fromm if he stays, Burrow didn't get bigger, faster, stronger between his junior and senior years. The difference was the experience of his receivers. Burrow went from mid-round, maybe, his junior year to Heisman and projected #1. Fromm won't be bigger, faster, stronger, but his receiver group with Pickens, a Biletnikoff candidate, and Blaylock, if healed, and the rest will certainly be a huge improvement over 2019! Fromm's love for his team, university, and college football, and some unfinished business of reaching his stated goal of winning a national champioship while at UGA means Jake stays!

• Options
    QvoxQvox Posts: 436 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well said, but I don't agree. I really think Fromm is leaning towards staying. The number one reason, he's a DGD, and a good man with some unfinished business to attend to. Number two is I think staying can only help him with his NFL career. I don't see a downside for him to stay. He's a durable, dependable, and capable QB, who is one hell of a leader. Next year with the tools he'll have available he'll shine, and lead the Dawgs to make another grab for the brass ring.

I think next year is going to be special.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Tua just declared for the NFL! Fromm should remain another year...if the logic/rationale holds up! But this is Jake Fromm we're talking about....he has a Leader above all this and will seek His guidance...that is given. We are with you, Jake, in whatever your future holds.

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I refuse to believe that Fromm will base his decision on what another player on another team does.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree with Shootthehooch on this one.

Good analogy of Burrows. He didn't get bigger.stronger,and faster. He was already all of those. (Lot more mobile than Jake) But what dramatically improved were numbers. If Jake improved his numbers, albeit with better receivers, then it would be hard for GM's not to move him up higher on the draft board. Not that UGA will suddenly turn into LSU's passing attack but a decent 30 percent bump in TD's -receptions, and yardage would do it. Not to mention a SEC Championship and a playoff win or two.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yep, don't forget that Eason declared to go as well. Now that Tuo has declared, he'd be a fool to leave this year.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My hope is that Fromm and Smart work together and come up with a plan to succeed together: Smart to find the plays and players that Fromm needs to maximize his abilities. I firmly believe that Fromm began to lose trust in himself and his players once they started dropping every ball. I still don't understand why a lot of earlier classes had highly rated WRs that didn't pan out, but don't forget that we're adding Washington as a possible TE as well as the 4th and 6th best WRs in the nation (Pickens/Blaylock were 5th and 7th last year, Kearis Jackson was the 33rd best in 2018 and Holloman/Webb were 16th and 19th in 2017).

• Options
    andrews1253andrews1253 Posts: 427 ✭✭✭ Junior

Nice article @mikegriffith32

• Options
    bigdawg88bigdawg88 Posts: 64 ✭✭ Sophomore

Does anyone know if those draft grades they give out are accurate or not? I've heard of a few players who got 1st round grades and then got drafted in the 2nd round. I think Nick Chubb was one. Sometimes teams change their minds for whatever reason. And if a team changes management between the time the grades go out and the draft, they may go in a completely different direction. I think Jake would make a lot more money if he stays one more year. He can get insurance in case his draft stock falls.

• Options
    VenomGAVenomGA Posts: 348 ✭✭✭ Junior

well one thing that affects some players is when teams in front all of a sudden go rogue with their pics (I'm looking at my Raiders for a chief example). So this then has players fall into the draft right into the laps of teams who never thought they would be there. SO while a RB (using the Nick Chubb example) might be a need position, another position could be in more of a need, like O-lineman especially tackles.

• Options
    williewolfwilliewolf Posts: 58 ✭ Freshman

Tua is projected to get a 20 million dollar rookie contract because of his potential. Following three short, injury riddled seasons at Alabama I don't see him being the key-to-the-future for any pro team. Meanwhile, Nick Chubb, who has always delivered at every level is set to make 1.2 million in his third year of a 7-8 million dollar 4 year contract. What NFL team is willing to bet 20 million dollars on a gimpy QB? I hope its not Atlanta. Furthermore, Aaron Murray threw the ball all over the field for UGA and couldn't make it in the NFL. Maybe Fromm's nearing the end of his career and wants to get some "Holyfield" type money before he slips on back to the lake.

• Options
    williewolfwilliewolf Posts: 58 ✭ Freshman

Make no bones about it Jake Fromm is a DGD and will always be a favorite of mine