Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

What options Georgia football might have if it goes to the transfer portal for a quarterback

SystemSystem Posts: 10,478 admin
edited January 2020 in Article commenting

imageWhat options Georgia football might have if it goes to the transfer portal for a quarterback

Georgia quarterback Jake Fromm's Georgia career has come to an end. The junior quarterback announced that he will be bypassing his senior season and declaring for the 2020 NFL Draft. Fromm posted his announcement on Twitter and thanked the Georgia fans for his time in Athens.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Personally I believe Fromm has made a mistake, he will go the way of the Greene's, McCarrons, Murrays, McElroys, etc., He will be around for a year or two carrying a clipboard, IMO, and looking for work elsewhere.

That said, Jake will be successful in whatever he does, outside the NFL, IMO. We wish you the best and thanks for your time at UGA....

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Interesting. Some pretty good choices.

I will say this: Whomever we get to play QB for the Dawgs MUST be at least able to scramble (preferably a dual threat guy) and throw accurate passes - downfield. With all these quality WRs that have signed on for the Dawgs and will be playing next year in addition to our current studs then we'd better use them or we will lose some of them to the portal as well.

• Options
    AirmanEAirmanE Posts: 34 ✭✭ Sophomore

Aj Mccarron is still in the league he plays for the Texans right now. I believe that’s the best comparison to Fromm anyway so worst case scenario he’s a ten year backup qb that’s great money.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'd think it's much tougher having success with a transfer QB, more so than with a transfer WR,TE, or DB. Definitely need someone with experience at QB now though, so a transfer QB is a viable option..GoDAWGS!

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2020

@1SICemDAWGS1...

Seriously? Just think about transfers Joe Burrows, Justin Fields, and Jalen Hurts. Transfer QBs have proven to make a huge difference with A) The right team and B) the right offensive game plan/style. Player development and coaching are key when it comes to any player.

Joe Burrows was pretty much a dud under LSU's offensive strategy until they brought in new coach Joe Brady this season. Now the guy is playing for a Natty and won the Heisman!! He excelled under LSU's new style.

An article said a few days ago that Fromm was being used in a different style offense under CKS than what he played and excelled in during high school. Under a different offense, Fromm may have done either better or worse, but he was always meant to be in an offense that passed the ball more than we did.

• Options
    97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 347 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Transfer QBs who would have to sit out a year can be disregarded, because Mathis and Beck will have plenty of experience at that point. We would be looking for immediate help. That makes the Matt Jones scenario above a non-factor. I am guessing that we would only Byrnes scholarship if we could get someone significantly better than Carson Bennett.

• Options
    UGADAWG4LifeUGADAWG4Life Posts: 273 ✭✭✭ Junior

I miss Jake Fromm already !

• Options
    Billy2131Billy2131 Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

Sorry alumni and fans...this list is full of a variety of unknowns and severe downside risks... Injury prone is the top of the list amongst many others!

• Options
    randyglass14randyglass14 Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior

Lightening can always strike I suppose, but Dawg fans expect a big step back next year until we get the right QB in place. The Alabama game was always going to be tough, but now the Florida and Auburn games now look at risk. We're in for a wild ride!

• Options
    WestAshleyDawgWestAshleyDawg Posts: 19 ✭✭ Sophomore

Brock Vandergriff, it's your time to shine for the hometown Dawgs!

• Options

Felipe Franks, what a joke 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Options

Not everyone has the talent of those 3 on those listed above..not even close. So, yes..Really

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Costello is good for a year while UGA rebuilds...The rest are hand-me-downs....all I have to say!!! Not in a good mood!

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Oh my, I cannot even believe you mentioned Felipe Franks. If UGA puts him on scholarship I will return my degree. The Stanford kid looks like the best worst option. Ugh.

• Options
    sutherngasuthernga Posts: 30 ✭✭ Sophomore

Who in the HELL wants Felipe Franks EXCEPT FloridUH?! lol...my money is on Newman and King from Houston. They will be viable game changers for an anemic offense, IF Kirby let's them LOOSE.

• Options
    Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Franks! !!!!! Say what!? You trolling mofo! Nobody wants Beef Franks here in Athens!

• Options
    Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

And we've got the future, and greatest available QBs already in Athens! Enough of this talk!

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Costello from Stanford and Newman from Wake Forest. Both would fit well into UGA scheme.