Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Neil Peart

GradyDawg85GradyDawg85 Posts: 436 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

To my fellow Dawgs of the 60's and 70's - and those from later years who appreciate an amazing musician - the music world lost a great one today at way too young an age - 67.

As Reverb.com wrote, "This one hurts."

Shot below is one I took on the `79 Hemispheres tour stop at The Fox. Pardon the grain, it's what you got in those pre-Photoshop days of pushing 400 ASA to 800.

RIP, Professor on the Drum Kit, you will live on through what you gave us, but you will be sorely missed.

Comments

• DirtDawgDirtDawg Posts: 532 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Very well said, and very cool photo.

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,566 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Some disagree.....but I think he's the best... or at least top 5 ......drummer of all time. Pert, Bonham and Grohl are my favorites.

Listening to Spirit of the Radio and Limelight as I type

• Stingray2112Stingray2112 Posts: 132 ✭✭✭ Junior

His lyrics really connected with me as a young man. Made a big impact on me. And what an amazing drummer!

• razorachillesrazorachilles Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This one definitely hurts. Ironically - I’m here in NH with some friends waiting for a Rush tribute band to take the stage (band is called Lotusland).

They’re showing a series of Neil photos and clips as people file in before the show starts This place has the feel of a wake.

“Suddenly — You were gone

From all the lives you left your mark upon”

• Afterimage

• BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My favorite band growing up in Ohio in the 1970's. Saw them in Cincinnati and Richmond, VA. Really sorry I did not see them in Virginia Beach during their last tour which had not been announced as a farewell tour.

Neil's daughter was killed in an auto accident in 1997 and his wife died of cancer a year later.

RIP Neil!

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lost one of the best RIP Neil Peart. The man was fast, crisp and precise on the drums made it look easy

• KeithsaxonKeithsaxon Posts: 683 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No one is even close to him beating the skins!!

• Tdub0199Tdub0199 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hate to hear this, I finally got to see Rush about 4 years ago. They still rocked that ****!!!

• RandomFanRandomFan Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sucks. Definitely in my top 3 all time with Bonham and Danny Carey

• GradyDawg85GradyDawg85 Posts: 436 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Excellent, @texdawg - "Free Will" was the first cut I put on. And I might have to give Bonzo a slight edge on that list. As @orlando pointed out, Neil was so fast and so crisp, but Bonzo just owned heavy. Alan White of Yes - king of offbeats and syncopation -and Keith Moon - master of controlled mayhem - reside in the upper reaches of that list for me.

I didn't cry when we lost Keith or Bonham, but the faucets wouldn't stop for a few minutes when I read about Neil. Man had a lot of success, and a lot of heartbreak per @BobcatGrad, but just too d amn soon and too d amn young..

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

RIP, brilliant drummer, brilliant writer

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bummer and man that was a young age to go

• SavageSavage Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2020

Nooooo!!

No question he was the best imo. Was fortunate enough to catch them in Atlanta a few years ago & they were as good as ever. Snuck up the side stage & was able to watch him from 20' away for about 10mins before security made me leave. Blew my mind, was like watching Yoda put on a lightsaber demonstration.

RIP Neil!

the GOAT!

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Awesome photograph Grady. Thanks for sharing.

• TurkDawgTurkDawg Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2020

Saw Rush in concert on the Moving Pictures tour at Atlanta’s Omni in December 1981.

For my first ever rock show, I was lucky to see such a good one. Rock concerts in those days usually featured a long drum solo, which many considered a good time for a bathroom break.

But no one left when Neil Peart was doing his.

A great writer and lyricist, too.

”There’s no swimming in the heavy water, no singing in the acid rain....”

• LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yes, this one hurt.

Had CNBCs "Fast Money" on when Sullie (I like him more and more as a fill in host) made a reference to Peart.

I was trying to meet a Friday deadline and instantly did a double take...sure enough they played a short clip of him.

Instantly thought of "Limelight" and played it.

As I told my Bro-In-Law, what teenage boy in the 80s didnt fantasize about being behind his kit and letting loose.

"Subdivisions" really stuck with me, especially the lyrics.

RIP Neil, from this dreamer and misfit! GOAT!

• SavageSavage Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The greatest Power Trio ever led by the human metronome