Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

ESPN names 2 Georgia football standouts to All-Bowl Team

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited January 2020 in Article commenting

imageESPN names 2 Georgia football standouts to All-Bowl Team

Georgia's bowl game against Baylor was a success, as the Bulldogs came away with a 26-14 win to end the 2019 season. The win pushed Georgia's record to 12-2 and ended up putting the Bulldogs at the No. 4 spot in the final AP Poll.  And ESPN took time to recognize the efforts of two Bulldogs for their bowl game

Read the full story here

Comments

• BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 620 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Connor, has Newman already been named the QB for 2020? Jeez, you are one crappy writer. Go Dawgs!

• GBALGBAL Posts: 739 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2020

Agreed. Already been anointed the position. Let let competition and coaches make this decision. 8 pieces have chimed in on this topic in 3 days on DN. Theres a reason for coaches and a reason for reporters. Respect the team.

• KBPKBP Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2020

If Newman doesn't erase all doubt in spring ball about who should be the unquestioned starter in the fall then either he's not very good or Bennett, Mathis and Beck are much, much better than what everyone thought. As incredible as Fromm and Lawrence were as true freshmen, it's still not the norm for true freshmen QB's to be ready to lead an offense especially in the SEC. For a QB to have been in a Power 5 conference for 4 years and have 20+ starts and put a stat line together this past season that was comparable to Jake's and a little better in some metrics, there's no way Beck and Mathis, with no college game experience, should be able to compete with Newman. Bennett and Mathis have a slight advantage in my opinion because they've been around the team and should know the playbook, although obviously Mathis hasn't had any live action since G-Day. Bennett has talent but he's not the future of Georgia football in 2020. This should be Newman's job and in 2021, who knows?

• Hedges27Hedges27 Posts: 18 ✭✭ Sophomore

Some you UGA fans are so annoying! Connor is not a crappy writer. If some of you UGA fans weren't so blind folded you would understand. Connor is simply doing his job. Giving a real opinion as a writer instead of hovering the fence. He and everyone else know Kirby will not announce Newman as the starting QB. Nevertheless, it seems like ESPN, PFF, Sports Illustrated, Saturday Down South, Mark Richt, SEC Network, ACC Network, Apparently everyone outside of UGA know who will be our starting QB. Heck I don't even remember him announcing Fromm as the starter with all of his accomplishments in 3 years. Some of us, like Connor took the blinders off and used common sense. Kirby is not bringing Newman in to be a backup!!! I don't care how many people in the UGA fanbase want to ride the fence or simply don't like Newman. He brought Newman in to replace Jake Fromm. Yes, there will be a battle in the spring (Connor knows this. This is his job.) Yes, there will be a battle in the Fall. No, Kirby will not announce Newman the starter week 1 or hold a press conference before the season to name a starter. But Newman is HIGHLY LIKELY(barring injury or something unforeseen) to start week 1 against UVA. Trust Kirby! If Newman is not the man for the job Kirby will make a change during the season. But if you don't think Newman will start over a bunch of guys who have never started a college football game. Over some playes whose last significant snaps were in high school. Then I feel bad for that segment of UGA fans!!!

• Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Man, I agree. If you want to dictate the content and quality of the articles.... for Christ sake, go PAY to read articles on ANOTHER WEBSITE.

This segment of UGA fans is no better than folks on state funded benefits complaining about the quality/consistency/timeliness of care. If you want better there’s a free market where you can go and PAY FOR IT.

Pretentiousness like this is what gives our fan base such a bad name nationwide, so kwitcherbitchin!

Nice rant there Hedges27 but I stand by my comments. I don’t know how long you have been reading DN but I see you are a new poster here. Welcome aboard. However, I made my comments based on Connor constantly speculating without fact checking, misleading titles and in general poor writing without proofreading. Just like you, we are all entitled to our opinions and the right to express them. Go Dawgs!

• Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

"Georgia also went the entire season without giving up a rushing touchdown to an opposing running back." Let that sink in for a second... Has that ever been accomplished in the SEC of all places? 2020 looks bright indeed!

edited January 2020

That was not a rant! Those were facts! Kirby will not name a starter at any point during the season. I have 4 years of evidence and one of the greatest QB's in UGA history to prove it. That's his philosophy! Another fact, He has also never started a true freshman at UGA QB in an opener in 4 years. In that time he also signed 3 5 star future in NFL QBs ( Jacob Eason, Jake Fromm and Justin Fields and each will be an early round pick). It's one thing to give an opinion. It's another thing to give an opinion and not know what the heck you're talking about. Then say Go Dawgs! Some UGA fans just will not get get it! People have misleading titles all the time(not agreeing with you just saying). It's called click-bait.

• Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Newman did not start at WF until an injury to the other starting QB half way through his Junior season. He only has one full season as a starter under his belt. I'm grateful for all the QBs at UGA.

Go Dawgs!

My comment was not about Kirby naming a starter during the season. My comment was about writing in a manner that leads readers to think Newman will be the starter before spring and summer workouts have even begun. Who’s to say Carson Beck may not come on and earn the starting job. He is already enrolled and learning the system. Would have been very easy to word article so as to not assume he knows something no one else knows, including Kirby, and included other QB’s in the comments.

Wrong! My point exactly about some UGA fans. Where did you get that information from? Yes, Newman became the starter due to injury in his SOPHOMORE season. His earned him the starting job his JUNIOR season and beating out that same QB (Sam Hartman) Newman and going to be 2nd in the ACC in total offense. FACTS!!! I am also happy to have all off the current QBs in UGA roster!

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Let's play nice. Does UGA need some cold water in his water dish? LOLOL. There has to be a reason Kirby went to the transfer portal for Newman....Carson Beck is an early enrollee...did this satisfy Kirby? Even though this kid could prove out to be really good. ..and a possible starter? UGA back-ups Bennett and Mathis are the other two credible competitors on the roster. ...both have merit. Why Newman then? Will Newman stay if he loses the start? Will the others stay if Newman wins the start? D'Wan and Beck may knowing Newman has one year of eligibility. Kirby wants a "known quantity" I believe that does have some successful NCAA experience as a dual threat. He cannot afford to break in a raw recruit or non-starting QB and a new, more open offensive line and sync. them while trying to win another SEC East or beyond. Just my gut feel. He is looking down the road at maintaining top 4 ranking and his best chance for a natty. I believe Newman is that guy. Kirby does not want to lose his momentum. He has a tough decision to make. Have at me all you want. I am wearing a helmet....LOL