Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia football expected to announce 'Air Raid' expert Todd Monken joining staff

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited January 2020 in Article commenting

imageGeorgia football expected to announce 'Air Raid' expert Todd Monken joining staff

Georgia football is expected to announce 'Air Raid' offensive expert Todd Monken is joining the Bulldogs' coaching staff

Read the full story here

Comments

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Things are looking up. Get it?

• TfbTfb Posts: 40 ✭✭ Sophomore

A much needed hire. Welcome aboard.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bama threw for 1,700 more yards then they ran for in 2018. LSU threw for 3,400 yards than they ran for this year. Similar differences with Ohio St. and Clemson. I think CKS, whether he admits it or not has seen the light of day when it comes to the passing game. You have to put points on the board.

• ScoreCheckScoreCheck Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Welcome to the Bulldawg Nation!!!!

Another home-run hire by Coach Kirby Smart!!!!

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Let's get it on....a UGA Air Raid from Monken!!!!!! That will include Jamie Newman I am guessing. Bombs away!!!!! Kirby is "woke." It will take time to perfect but Pickens will shine with this emphasis on the air raid. So will the new WRs....I especially like Rosemy. For raw speed...Smith! Wonder what his title will be? Air Raid Coach...lolol

• randyglass14randyglass14 Posts: 199 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 2020

We're a little late to dance...but we are finally getting there! Very impressed with CKS's ability to recover quickly with grad transfers and coaching hires. We need to temper our expectations that next year won't be a total "air raid" type of year, but clearly we're going to make a significant step in that direction. Nice job CKS....now go turn all this momentum into a CFP berth next year!!

• kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Guess we'll have to wait and see if Kirby will take the "hands-off" approach and leave it to Coley/monken to handle.

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Looks like a Grand Slam hire. Directed the NFL’s top passing offense in 2018. Then changed teams, and produced the NFL’s No. 2 rusher in Nick Chubb. Seems like Monken knows how to get the most out of his talent.

Well done Kirby!

• booker0815booker0815 Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

In the previous article there was a comment that Newman was brought in to pass “downfield but outside the hashes”. That statement explains everything we need to know as to why we struggled. LSU threw across the middle more than anybody and you need to keep the linebackers and safeties back expecting the slant or crossing pass. Absent of that you have backers and safeties playing up and it nearly being impossible to only create separation on the edges. Fromm eliminates the middle of the field which makes everything harder. The few times we did throw slants or I the middle we had success. I hope that changes.

• VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So, based on the hires/recruits it DOES seem Kirby was watching the same games we all did this past season.

huh, imagine that!

looking forward to seeing what’s in store.

• Ugagolf80Ugagolf80 Posts: 72 ✭✭✭ Junior

Even Saban changed from the ground and pound to pass a LOT more. Kirby is not dumb-he sees where college football offenses are now, and he will keep up. Great hire.

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We now have the depth all across the defense to be able to withstand two and three minute drives without the D being totally gassed in the fourth quarter.

I still doubt we will see an all out "air raid" offense. We are still RBU! What I do see is opposing defenses not being able to commit to stopping any one aspect of our offense. With a more athletic OL, elite playmakers in the backfield, elite playmakers on the outside, and an accurate, strong armed QB with some escapability, a balanced offensive attack that is a threat for chunk plays, Kirby's stated desire, running and passing is a best case scenario!

randyglass14...you better hope the Air Raid offense is up and running, cause everybody knows Kirby's grind and pound stacked offense routine..forever chopping wood. It will no longer produce the desired results. I said in my comment air raid (passing) would take some perfecting but it had better be in place....it is TIME. Monken can do this.

Todd Monken......“That really to me was the Air Raid. You had a certain amount of run game, you ran a lot of the same concepts and you could throw to win. That was really it. Like any offense, it works a lot better if you have good players.”

UGA has the good players.....set it up and run it....Todd.

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wow, we have 2 new coaches who have both been head coaches as well as successful offensive coordinators. I’m very impressed with these hires, but I wonder who will take over “special teams”. Did I miss that announcement? Go Dawgs!!!

• JackJack Posts: 87 ✭✭✭ Junior

Even Pop Warner coaches could figured out how to minimize our offense this last season. Great hire if he has a say in play calling.

• chilidawg1chilidawg1 Posts: 154 ✭✭✭ Junior

Buk Belue isn't convinced Monken is the answer, but I think Buck doesn't want the fan base to put all the blame pn Coley.

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m certain our recruits are pumped and hopefully Sedrick and Broderick like what they are seeing. Going from Pittman & Fountain to Luke & Monken is simply amazing. I’ll take the latter combo of coaches any day. Go Dawgs!!!

• Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

Wait a minute, according to Kirby, all of our offensive problems were due to crappy receivers.

So why demote Coley?

Actions speak louder than words, don't they?

Anyway, welcome Todd! Great to have you! Great to have anyone!