Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia football updates status of James Coley after hiring of Todd Monken as offensive coordinator

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited January 2020 in Article commenting

imageGeorgia football updates status of James Coley after hiring of Todd Monken as offensive coordinator

Georgia has a new offensive coordinator in Todd Monken, as the school officially announced his hiring on Friday. So what does that mean for James Coley, Georgia's offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach for the 2019 season? Georgia released a statement on that matter as well, saying he will remain on the staff

Read the full story here

Comments

• Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

is this a home run or Schotty 2.0, someone with knowledge please share!

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Monken is officially OC. Coley takes one of the titles Pittman had as assn't head coach. That is an open position as Smart wants Coley to recruit as he did Pittman. We know how that worked out. Monken, Luke combo...I like it.

• LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2020

I hope Coley can take this as a solid learning opportunity!

I remember at the start of the season that he was going to be on the sidelines during the games. That really made me scratch my head.

Maybe Coley simply wasn't ready to be OC.

If Monken can be successful, and establish a culture of success, he'll probly be gone in a couple years max. At that point, maybe Coley would be ready to be OC again.

I don't lay all of last season at Coley's feet. Maybe he didn't know how to get the help he needed? Maybe so much help was needed that it was overwhelming.

Either way, I'm glad steps are being taken to get us going strong!

Go Dawgs!

We are seeing a steadily developing metamorphosis within UGA football. It had to be. Modern college football requires QB mobility integrated with an offense set up to execute that approach. UGA showed some signs of it with Coley but not fast enough, obviously, as Smart moved forward with the departure of Fromm. He is making quick but decisive moves with staff and recruits towards this new "game plan."

• Tom1111Tom1111 Posts: 179 ✭✭✭ Junior

Let’s put Coley in a position where he can’t do much damage

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm with you @Tom1111 . Folks on here voting thumbs down on your post and trying to make out NOW that Coley wasn't really so bad, after we spent all year wishing he would pack up and leave. He is an outstanding recruiter, just like Pittman. But he **** as OC and that's just the truth. That's why Kirby went out and found someone else for the job. It's extremely rare for a person to be successful at a task and their boss go out and find someone to replace them while they're still in that job. Kirby realized that Coley was a weak link. That doesn't mean he's not a nice guy. It doesn't even mean that he's not a good coach. He may be both of those things. He just did not do well as Georgia's offensive coordinator last year and at this level of play, he was in a position we can't afford. Call him an assistant coach and let him be in charge of all recruiting. That seems to fit him well. And let's pray that Monchen does well and when he does, that he won't pull a Joe Brady and be gone after one year. If we're successful, we'll need him to hang around Athens a few years until we get this new offense down pat. Go Dawgs!

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm glad coach Coley's still on the staff.

He only had one season as OC, and all the injuries and the expulsion of his best returning WR, were not his fault.

He really didn't have much to work with, and as a result I think it's impossible to give him a full and fair evaluation as an Offensive Coordinator. He is a great recruiter, and still likely a good offensive strategist.

• Ugagolf80Ugagolf80 Posts: 72 ✭✭✭ Junior

Coley will probably end up coaching WRs/QBs or both. Monken is a VERY good hire. I think Kirby wants someone he can trust to run the offense so he can concentrate on the defensive side. Monken and Luke give him that. We HAVE to change the O to what is successful NOW, not 5 years ago. Smart knows this and is making bold moves even though we are a top 5 program. He expects his players to keep getting better, and he is leading by example. If you want to stay elite you can't wait years for something to improve. Great job.

Coley will work with Luke and Monken...in a limited capacity....but mostly recruit. IMO! He is Smart's good friend but eventually he may leave...unless Monken leaves first, huh? Remember Baylor coach Matt Rhule. They don't seem to last long. Baylor picked up DC Aranda from LSU as head coach.

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m sure this is a tough day for Coach Coley, but I’m very happy Kirby is keeping him in the fold. He’s a good coach and recruiter and most of the DawgNation appreciates his contributions. I think we just needed to head in a different direction offensively. In fairness, Coley had a tough year with all the issues related to our lack of a good receiving unit which was not his fault. Go Dawgs!!!

• Dallas1862Dallas1862 Posts: 43 ✭✭ Sophomore

It's a great hire by CKS, he's realized that the offense couldn't stay On the field when it needed too. Much less fight back from a deficit. The SEC CG taught him that.

It'll be interesting to see how the recruiting evolves now. Coach Luke will definitely light a fire under some asses in the O-line room. Plus having a mobile QB will help them with pass protecting.

I also feel this will help the RB room as they'll know the load isn't squarely on their shoulders. Go Dawgs!!

• WalteregoWalterego Posts: 11 ✭ Freshman

Coley's offenses as a play calling OC have scoring rankings of 4th in the ACC in 2013, 9th in the ACC in 2014, and 5th in the SEC last year. While this may be above average, it's not great and won't bring any team close to winning a Natty.

Jake Fromm, for all the grief he got this year, was not the variable that changed. Those variables were the WR talent/depth and OC. One would think that the (on paper, better) OL, RB, TE and OC creativity could have accounted for the WR depth issues if schemed correctly. How James Cook wasn't a part of the scheme more given our WR issues confused even Kirby. I also expect Swift to look much better next year. Think about it, under Coley both Swifts YPC and Fromm's everything (Y/A, total yards, comp %, overall rating) got worse - the later even compared to his freshman season.

You don't have to agree, but everything and everybody getting worse under Coley should not afford him some martyrdom, scapegoat status. Truth is, I'd LOVE for him to stay and see if they can make it work. I like Coley.

• GoodLifeGoodLife Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

Curious if Coley is being paid the same and if Georgia merely added another million-plus dollar coach to the staff? Money drives championships nowadays...

• jrmdvm1jrmdvm1 Posts: 130 ✭✭✭ Junior

Coach Coley, if you happen to read this, please know that many Dawg fans want to thank you for putting our team ahead of ego. With you and Coach Luke and Coach Monken finding a way to work together to maximize the Dawg's offensive output, I get excited about the possibilities. When I entered my profession ( veterinarian ), I and my classmates were told that we were about to become "professional" students....that it would be our responsibility to continue studying and learning the rest of our life in our profession. I think this is true for those in the coaching profession as well, and, to me, you are fulfilling that responsibility. Thanks to you and all our coaching staff that puts egos aside for the good of our team.