Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

New QB and coordinator have Dawgs fans more optimistic about 2020 offense

SystemSystem Posts: 10,420 admin
edited January 2020 in Article commenting

imageNew QB and coordinator have Dawgs fans more optimistic about 2020 offense

Kirby Smart’s bold move is an encouraging sign for Bulldog Nation.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good one, Bill. Honest..... "If Georgia loses to Nick Saban’s Crimson Tide, chances are they’ll have to run the table to win the SEC East and return to the conference championship game for a fourth consecutive year." My concern all along. UGA is snake bit against Bama. It is like a curse that cannot be removed. Am not convinced 2020 is that year to remove it either. Bill...."Looking ahead, it’s true that, with Georgia having to replace most of its starting offensive line, top two running backs, top two tight ends and two of its best remaining receivers, Monken is pretty much looking at a complete rebuild." This is not a naysayer comment, however, just brutally honest. Is Monken UGA's svengali? We'll know Week 3. Bama is beatable now, not the indomitable force that the SEC cringes to play. Maybe the Dawgs can pull this off!!!! GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    MOSSMAN93MOSSMAN93 Posts: 44 ✭✭ Sophomore

When will the Dawgnation writers EVER get over George Pickens' "emotions"? Good grief....every single article that even mentions Pickens just has to bring up something that's in the past.....if they would just leave it there. Let the kid learn and grow without his past mistakes being thrown up every time his name is mentioned.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

MOSSMAN93...it makes for good copy in the overall message on UGA's future....everybody knows about Pickens' missteps. So you allude to them and move on...but not into next season....no. George even admitted he is growing each game. He is certainly a dynamic receiver. So, he will deserve some positive picas as he progresses.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You are absolutely correct. DN writers could just as easily mention that Pickens plays with passion and exerts 100% effort never taking a play off regardless if it is run or pass. If he's not running a route, he's in some defender's grill blocking until the whistle. That pi**es DBs off and when they push, he pushes back. George is not just an elite receiver, he's an elite football player!

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Monken better enjoy the adulation during the spring and summer, because in the fall when the season kicks off, the first stalled drive that results in a field goal, the offense geniuses will howl loud and long about how the Dawg's offense should have done it.

Don't forget, when Bobo's offenses were averaging 35 to 40 points, the couch potato coordinators were shouting to the heavens about the Dawgs having an idiot running the offense.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bill you just gave us another informative article. I always enjoy your well balanced and honest approach to all things UGA football.

Reminds me of how Larry Munson used to call the games. Always pulling for the Dawgs, but also coming from a realistic and balanced point of view.

I think it's possible that Coley got somewhat of a raw deal, with all the criticism of his first UGA offense considering he had no control over how many receivers left early, as well as the injuries that also took away a few others. It must be hard to call plays under those limitations. On the other hand maybe some of it was due to play calling, we may never know.

I'am well pleased to see Kirby hire Monken as OC to open things up on that side of the ball. It's going to be very interesting.

• Options
    maconexpressmaconexpress Posts: 164 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 2020

I believe Todd Monken has what it takes to help this team get over the hump but does he have sole control over the offense and players?

I watched some of the reruns of the Oklahoma State games in 2011 and you can tell that that team was well coached.

Against Drew Lock in the TOSTITOS FIESTA BOWL they fell behind 14 points but never lost their composure and came back in the 2nd quarter (thanks to the superb play calling) .

Brandon Weeden wasn't that mobile but he never got rattled and could make tough passes under duress.

I can see a lot of Justin Blackmon in George Pickens. Both players are fiery and demand the football. Without Justin Blackmon I doubt they would have won that game.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Everyone is better appreciated after they are gone(generally speaking) even with an ex-spouse we have with the passing of time a remarkable ability to just remember their finer points.

Bobo's offenses did put up scoring wise about what Cheney's did in 2018. Not sure where we ranked nationally during his tenure in offense. It's not so much that Bobo was bad at his job(he wasn't ) but there was always the inexplicable calls that he made at times that often left the most die-hard fans, scratching their heads. If you don't know what I'm talking about then you weren't watching the same games as everyone else.

We can even look back with fondness on Cheney , after the offensive struggles we had this year. On second thought, nah.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2020

Thanks Bill. Great article as usual. I love Kirby's approach and quick moves to get the players and coaches he needs to try and be the best the Dawgs can be.

Kirby's goal is to win the SEC East, make the playoffs, and win a National Championship. That SHOULD be the goal of ALL Dawg fans. With our Top 5 recruiting classes year-after-year under CKS you have to ask - when are we going to reach the pot of gold? In this day and age of players leaving early for the NFL, transfer portals, and brief windows of real opportunity to compete for a Natty then I totally think that it's time to put up or shut up when it comes to bringing one home. Kirby wants to build the Dawg's program into a dynasty just like Bama or Clemson. That means beating the likes of Bama or Clemson. Let's not blame lack of results on tough schedules. You play the hand you are dealt, and the Dawgs should welcome tougher schedules and want to prove they can beat Bama. These teams like Clemson and Bama keep winning despite player turnover, injuries, transfers, etc. They simply reload every year. Personally, I'm not satisfied with the Dawgs being a second-tier team (think of Oklahoma) behind the heavy hitters. Close is only good enough in horseshoes and hand grenades. Finish the drill.

So, you're right, simply a Top 10 finish just ain't good enough any longer. We've got the tools, the players, the coaches, and the opportunity to make 2020 something special.

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great article Bill. Has anyone heard what the plans are to replace our “special teams” coach? I may have missed the announcement, but I certainly hope we are able to get a good one. I remember several year ago when we coached special teams by committee and it wasn’t pretty. Maybe Kevin “Butthead” Butler will take over......Just dreaming. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    Tom1111Tom1111 Posts: 179 ✭✭✭ Junior

Replacing Coley with Monken gives us a better chance to defeat Ala on Sept 19th.

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

UGA66, I respectfully completely disagree with you. BAMA is going to have an dominant team in 2020. Look at their roster and who is returning. They will have the best receiving corp. in the nation. Trask looked very good in their bowl game. They will have absolutely NO competition in the West in 2020. None. LSU will not even be a top 12 team and Auburn will be good but not great. The only thing that scares me is that if we beat BAMA in week three, they will be gunning for us in the SECCG. It may be a better scenario for us to lose to BAMA in week three, run the table and face an over-confident BAMA team in the SECCG. The team that loses on week three will be significantly more fired up to win if/when they face each other again later in the season.

• Options
    UGADAWG4LifeUGADAWG4Life Posts: 273 ✭✭✭ Junior

I live to beat BAMA! Go Dawgs !

• Options
    DawgOnDawgOn Posts: 265 ✭✭✭ Junior

While you may not be able to put Zeus in the same category with Chubb and Gurley as of now, he was higher rated than either when coming out of high school for a reason. Both Chubb and Gurley suffered catastrophic knee injuries and it took both a while to make a complete comeback. Zeus will prove so many doubters to be the fools they are when doubting. Zeus, prove 'em wrong, my man!

• Options
    DawgOnDawgOn Posts: 265 ✭✭✭ Junior

UGA66, I respectfully completely disagree with you. BAMA is going to have an dominant team in 2020. Look at their roster and who is returning. They will have the best receiving corp. in the nation. Trask looked very good in their bowl game. They will have absolutely NO competition in the West in 2020. None. LSU will not even be a top 12 team and Auburn will be good but not great. The only thing that scares me is that if we beat BAMA in week three, they will be gunning for us in the SECCG. It may be a better scenario for us to lose to BAMA in week three, run the table and face an over-confident BAMA team in the SECCG. The team that loses on week three will be significantly more fired up to win if/when they face each other again later in the season.

I agree with you, UGA66. If we take care of business come the Bama game, and everyone else before and after, we can pull a 2017 Bama and still get into the playoffs even if we lose the SEC Championship game. If we win it, Bama will be out and we will not have to worry about them again come the playoffs.

• Options
    Tom1111Tom1111 Posts: 179 ✭✭✭ Junior

Replacing Coley with Monken gives us a much better chance of beating Ala on Sept . 19th

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Play the game, enjoy the game, suffer over the game, but we all should move on."

I doubt he's experiencing any trauma. He just "lives to beat BAMA." It's called hyperbole. It's what fans do. He doesn't need counseling.