Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Neil Peart

2»

Comments

• 914Dawg914Dawg Posts: 315 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Saw Rush (Signals Tour) in 1982 at MSG - when I was in 8th grade. Great band and RIP Neal Peart!

Besides great youtube clips of band and NP. Two recommendations: 1) Rush documentary on Netflix (Beyond Lighted Stage) - saw it a few months ago - really interesting backstory of Lee and Peart; and 2) Great featuring/honoring of band in movie "I Love You Man" - 2009 movie w/Paul Rudd - this movie is definitely not "family friendly," but I think it's hysterical and not sure there's ever been a comedy featuring Rush before/since. (And did I mention Rashida Jones is in it?)

• PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If not the best ever he's right there. Sad to hear.

• razorachillesrazorachilles Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Spent the morning reading all the tributes and “in memorium” articles online. This one piece in particular may have been the most fascinating to me...revealing how insecure he could be about his performance and how much he still wanted to be the best he could be despite the fact that he was universally lauded as one of the best ever at his craft.

Exit the Warrior...

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As a former drummer Peart was one of the gods of the skins. Guy was just unbelievable. Very sad day for the music community. RIP Neil, thoughts and prayers to your family, friends and fans.

Great photo thanks for posting.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, at this point I can't think of Rush without thinking of "I Love You Man." Thanks for the Netflix rec- I'll check that out.

I played bass in a rock band in the late 80's. We were more into Led Zeppelin, but I had an instructor who swore that Geddy Lee was the greatest bassist ever.

Mad respect for Neal Peart. Condolences to the band, his family, and friends.

• BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2020

Both NBC and CBS have played Rush going into several commercial breaks during the games today!

• 914Dawg914Dawg Posts: 315 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"I Love You Man" is such an underrated move - and so re-watchable. Which reminds me I need to see it again soon.

• GradyDawg85GradyDawg85 Posts: 436 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@AnotherDawg - your instructor may be right on that call. If not, then he certainly is one of the best and The best musician I’ve ever seen play foot/pedal bass, keyboards and sing all at the same time. Mind boggling how he can do that.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2020

Not sure if there has ever been a more influential musician on any instrument. Seems like EVERY drummer is influenced by Peart. If you are a guitarist, you might be influenced by Van Halen, or SRV, or Vai, or Malmstein, or BB King, Jimmi, Clapton...but I don't recall any one particular musician have such a universal influence on virtually ALL drummers like Peart did. Nobody dislikes Peart. I know guitarists who can't stand SRV, Malmstein, and Vai.... I have never heard a single drummer say a disparaging word about Peart.

The cool thing is that if you listen to Rush on a stereo it's pretty cool stuff. But if you put on some good headphones, you will hear something entirely different. There is so much going on that you don't pick up through normal speakers.

• RandomFanRandomFan Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2020

All this drumming talk made me go back and rewatch one of the craziest drum deconstruction videos I've ever seen. Meaning no disrespect of the loss of Peart by sidetracking this a bit, but if there are any drum fans that have never seen this then I have a feeling you will thoroughly enjoy it.

It's a deconstruction of Rosetta S.t.o.n.e.d. (censored, really??), focused on the drums but also the rest of the band as well. I always liked the song, but before watching this I didn't realize how ridiculous and intricate the composition was and the genius behind it. Not to mention how impossible it seems Carey's drumming is here.

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So sad! Unbelievable at what he did. I always told others with no knowledge of Rush music? Rush is a 3 man orchestra!!! Rest In Peace Neil. 💔

edited January 2020

The fills on By-Tor and the Snow Dog rolling from one ear to the other and back again with a good pair of headphones is my favorite example of this.

Cue the 3:48 mark and enjoy for those who haven’t done this recently. His first album recording with the band, no less (Fly By Night). What a debut!

• GradyDawg85GradyDawg85 Posts: 436 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Glad to see this thread's still getting some life.

Agreed on your points, @pgjackson and By-Tor is a great call, @razorachilles.

I've always envisioned they'd live intro live versions of "La Villa Strangiato" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNilsLf6eW4) by saying, "And here's the one where we're just showing off." I've probably listened to it two dozen times the last couple of weeks and have asked myself, "Why did I stop listening to these guys on a regular basis???"

edited January 2020

La Villa Strangiato is really peak Rush in terms of musicianship for those guys and that’s saying something! The fact that they would play that thing live start to finish also boggles the mind.

It’s also peak hi-hat work for Peart, IMO. His open hits are pristine on any record but to hit that many that close together on that song and still hit each one so cleanly still defies logic.

if you haven’t seen the documentary “Beyond The alighted Stage” it’s really worth a view. They go into detail about what went into recording Villa and how it almost killed them as a band.

Even if you’re not a a Rush fan per se, it’s a great insight into a band that inspired o many other artists with interviews with everyone from Dave Grohl to Billy Corgan to Gene Simmons. It can be found on Netflix.