Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

ESPN lays out a simple case for how Georgia football can win a national championship next season

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited January 2020 in Article commenting

imageESPN lays out a simple case for how Georgia football can win a national championship next season

Georgia football once again enters the 2020 season with national title hopes. The Bulldogs figure to have one of the top defenses in the country and an offense filled with promising, if somewhat unproven, skill players. But if Georgia is going to win the national title next year, it will actually end up coming down

Read the full story here

Comments

• WCHWCH Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Hopefully, CKS will have the judgement and humility to use the talent he has at quarterback and the offensive coaching he hasn't had up until now to match our defense and bring a National Championship to Athens. Go Dawgs!

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Why is everyone in the media ASSUMING that Newman is automatically going to be the starting QB next season? There needs to be a fair competition between all the scholarship QBs. There are some good QBs besides Newman. Just remember, we lose Newman after ONE season and it's highly possible we'll lose others to the transfer portal like we did with Fields. Let's make the right choice and have a competent and above average backup QB.

• QvoxQvox Posts: 436 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think we're locked and loaded to make another run next year.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

MontanaDawg... They believe CKS brought in the one-year wonder Newman to start....not to compete. Then he is gone, yes. The back-ups will contest for the start in 2021 after the offense gels this year...unless Monken sees it differently. In my humblest of opinions. I agree.....there is the ever-present portal....yes. Albeit, Monken is already coaching and working with Newman..an early enrollee...fitting him into his new-look offense. IMO.

• Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I agree but from the coaches perspective, Mathis is a toss up and unproven risk, and Beck had planned to sit a yea (if you read between the lines). I hope the best guy plays but not too much of a stretch to assume he will. In my humble opinion. Excited to see what Beck throws at him though! Go Dawgs.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

UGA66...CKS said during one interview that the QBs WOULD in fact all compete for the starting job. I do not think Newman has been guaranteed anything. However, things change.

Remember how well Fields did in a brand new system and school at Ohio State in his first year after virtually no playing time at UGA? Any of the current UGA QBs could do the same thing. I do think Kirby would be making a mistake by not having the QBs legitimately compete. Newman needs to earn his spot just like anyone else.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

MontanaDawg..prefaced my last comment with "THEY", not my opinion altogether...although I do feel they went to the transfer portal for an experienced college starter for Monken. Hey, I have been wrong before....so has Smart. I hear you, though.

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There are a lot of moving pieces to the offense. The receivers are young, the QB new to UGA and the system will be new to everybody.

Beating Alabama, at home, in only the third game is a tall order, but if Ga sees them again, it may be a different story in the SECCG. I can't wait to see the spring game and the QB's...

• ZbulldawgZbulldawg Posts: 83 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think we should be in the wait & see mode ! 80 to 85 % of our players on offense will be new. Half our coaching staff on offense will be new with a new system to learn for all ! If our defense can carry us in the beginning until our offense can catch up I will be happy ! Let's not start this season like we did last year begging about our OL & how bad we are going to beat teams ! This season will be harder than last year. I am excited to see different players on offense & the growth of our defense this year ! Go Dawgs

• ZbulldawgZbulldawg Posts: 83 ✭✭✭ Junior

Who do you think Ohio St. would have liked to have at QB this past season ? Justin Fields or Joe Borrow ? Just asking

• Trey33Trey33 Posts: 133 ✭✭✭ Junior

Cant wait to see him and Beck compete!!!!

• DawgOnDawgOn Posts: 265 ✭✭✭ Junior

The trepidation felt by the various pseudo-prognosticators baffles me, were it not for click bait being so popular these days. I once anticipated reading Connor's prognostications, but I am increasingly finding they to be - click bait. We can do better, for I hate to read articles only falling them falling far short of reality. We will kick arse this year, come what may!

• UgahikeUgahike Posts: 70 ✭✭✭ Junior

I say win 15games oughta do it.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You don't have time to learn on the job with Beck(if you want a Natty next year) unless he just totally outshines Jamie, but all things being equal or nearly equal in the passing dept. Newman is a beast when he runs and he has the experience Beck doesn't have. It's his job unless he craps his pants. I don't see that happening. Beck needs to be ready to go though in case of an injury. If this offense rolls like it should then there will be plenty of game experience for Mr. Beck in 2019. That will make him the odds on favorite for 2020 unless Brock comes in and takes it away.

• UGADAWG4LifeUGADAWG4Life Posts: 273 ✭✭✭ Junior

Black don't crack lol Jamie is going to do well in Monken's offense.

• maconexpressmaconexpress Posts: 164 ✭✭✭ Junior

I would like for Kirby to stop chewing out his players. This may cause them to underperform. Vince Lombardi did that sort of thing but he let up when Bart Starr had a talk with him and thereafter GB started winning SBs.

After one such blowup, Starr asked for a moment in Lombardi's office.

“I told him very respectfully that he can chew me out anytime, but it’s going to be very hard for me to lead these guys if you keep tearing me up in front of everybody and apologizing in private,’’ Starr remembered.

Lombardi saw the sense in that and let up.

“I think it helped establish our relationship for the years after that,’’ Starr said.