Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia offensive personality shifting, but core beliefs and process likely unchanged

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited January 2020 in Article commenting

imageGeorgia offensive personality shifting, but core beliefs and process likely unchanged

Georgia football coach Kirby Smart believes in his process and core beliefs, but the offensive personality will change based on personnel

Read the full story here

Comments

• westlcwestlc Posts: 11 ✭ Freshman

I would be careful about labeling Landers a capable pass catcher. I remember more passes hitting him in the hands only to fall to the ground than momentous catches. Robertson is a capable receiver but a weak link in physicality. What is his yards after catch when contested? Looking for Freshmen to make an early impact.

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good article.

I am also counting on off season improvements in some of our veterans. Plenty of time to learn to catch the ball better and plenty of opportunity to become bigger and stronger in the S&C program.

Although I'm glad to see the changes we've made on the coaching staff I don't believe our offensive identify will be as different as many people seem to want it to be (BTW, I'm not one of those people although I get their point of view). We should have a much better passing game next season. Our running game should be much the same as it's been, but it will improve if the passing game forces defenses to be respectful of their risks assuming we're always going to run up the gut.

Kirby's offensive philosophy is very sound.

Go, Dawgs!

• dawgfan623dawgfan623 Posts: 110 ✭✭✭ Junior

Robertson drops balls in his bread basket all the time, neither he nor Landers is a capable pass catcher.

• 97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Philosophy will also be indicated in how we recruit for the offense. Kirby has admitted that recruiting at receiver wasn't where it needed to be for a year or so, but if we put a dual threat QB to good use next year and continue to recruit dual threat QBs and maintain the emphasis on receiver we saw this year, it'll be a good indication that we're looking to continue with a bit more of a pass orientation. I don't think we'll turn away from the run altogether, but we might not be quite so much the TBU.

And I have two hopes for the coming season:

1. That our offense is able to consistently sustain drives and score.
    2. That we don't let up on the gas so much when we have the lead. I know we'll have a strong defense, but I'd like to see us stay aggressive for more of the game when we're ahead by less that about 16 points.
  • lmiked7lmiked7 Posts: 144 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

That second point is huge. Last year whenever we had a second half lead the play calling got so conservative. That game against Auburn it felt like the offense got like two first downs the entire second half and it almost cost us the game. Hopefully with some new personnel and coaches coming in we can fix that next year.

• DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

I disagree Mike. I believe there is no way Monken would have signed up to come to run an offense even similar to last season’s. Only an idiot would team up with a HC who tried to run up the middle of an eight man front, all **** season...

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Watching LSU receivers was a thing to behold. You were in shock if they ever dropped one. Chase was a 4 star coming out of high school, Jefferson was a 2 star according to rivals. Who needs stars. They got coached up and they got into a good offensive system with an outstanding QB. Lethal combination.

Here's hoping for similar results. LSU had something like 90 scoring drives in under 3 minutes. To heck with controlling the clock and wearing a defense down with the run. Just score so fast they don't know what hit them. Like a knock out in the 1st round.

• MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Dawggy

"the Bulldogs will also add more personality to the pass game "

the core belief that won't be sacrificed by Kirby is the ability to run the ball effectively when necessary

• Trey33Trey33 Posts: 133 ✭✭✭ Junior

Throw the ball or go 10-2!!!!!!

• ATDATD Posts: 258 ✭✭✭ Junior

Definitely excited for the weapons coming in and a new emphasis on the pass game, as well as a QB with the ability to escape when the pocket breaks down. Curious as to thoughts on Dominic Blaylock. All of these stories mention Dominic as if he's a plug and play this fall after his ACL tear. Are we presuming he starts this fall and has his full explosive ability to perform?

• tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Capable pass catcher!, anyone with two arms and two hands is a capable pass catcher, but being capable does not make you an outstanding pass catcher. Dominick Blaylock tore an ACL in the SEC Championship Game, and before the injury was playing well. It will take most of this year for him to regain his form. Demetris Robertson hasn't played up to his potential since his freshman year on the west coast. If I had a dollar for every pass that I have seen Matt Landers drop, I would be wealthy.

We are all having hope the new receivers will be a great upgrade over the stable of receivers this past season. The only two that showed they could play catch with Jake Fromm, was Pickens and Cager, and when Cager finally got knocked out of the game because of injuries, Pickens was still there, but he needed help and the help wasn't CAPABLE!

Being able to totally dominate through the air doesn't mean you can't run the ball. Both LSU and Clemson had great ball runners over a 1,000 yards each. I think there is a false dichotomy being set up that it's one way or the other. No one is expecting UGA to start throwing 50 times a game ala Mike Leach.

Clemson beat BAMA the year before by throwing even though they had Entienne. But they threw it on BAMA because it was their strong suite against them. BAMA's defense was not going to allow you to beat them running the ball. OK, fine we'll pass it down your throats. Same with Clemson this year, LSU wasn't going to beat them on the ground by running an even amount of times or running more than pass even though they had a great back. LSU knew what they had in their passing attack and they never deviated from their core beliefs. They never once thought we have to run in order to set up play action. How many times did they go empty backfield? "Hey, we're throwing it, try to stop us."

In those games where the other team(your better teams) is going to take away your run game, then you'd dang sure better have supreme confidence in your passing attack and it has to be something that is second nature to your offense instead of uncharted waters. More than just hoping a guy who hasn't caught but a handful of balls all year can now magically come through in the clutch on the biggest stage. That's laughable. But that's pretty much where we were when it counted most. I don't see CKS allowing that to happen again.

I look for more passing in games where last season we would have just shut it down in the mid 3rd quarter and ran out the clock. That works against weak teams only. Look for more receivers to get more opportunities to prove themselves before they need to be counted on in crucial situations in the biggest games. It has to be 2nd nature and not something they haven't been doing all along.

It's a mindset.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The offense is still in transition. The QB will make a difference. All on deck now can run when the opportunity arises. Jamie has happy feet as do Mathis, Bennett and signee Beck. If the OL is still evolving...then UGA needs a strong running QB. The QB will likely have more great newbies to toss to as well. Pickens will be in good company. Blaylock will be healed at some juncture. I think UGA will be fine offensively.....but have thought that before,

• DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

Kirby's offensive philosophy is very sound. - Jim Wallace

Jim, the Nation's 1, 2, 4, and 6 scoring teams were in this past CFP. UGA was 49th. 49th! In the second half of the SC home game, we ran the ball up the middle of a stacked box on 1st and 2nd downs, seven times in a row.

I'm sorry, but there is nothing sound about Kirby's offensive philosophy, in my opinion.

• maconexpressmaconexpress Posts: 164 ✭✭✭ Junior

Mark Richt tried to combined his offense with Brian Schottenheimer but that decision ended badly. As for running the ball up the middle, Sony and Chubb held a meeting with Chaney to discuss their concerns about the offense and one of their concern was why Cheney shied away from the outside runs.. The following season (2017) Chaney made the adjustments and they won the sec title and the rose bowl.

Remember when we kept trying to convert 3rd and 1 with a run and 4th and 1 and kept getting stuffed? The big uglies up front under-performed to a certain degree(although they will all get drafted at some point- go figure). That speaks volumes about the offenses ability to pass the ball. No one respected the passing game and they knew we were a run first, pass if you have to team, so they all sold out on stopping the run putting 7-8 mean in the box which as we have seen can negate a mainly run teams ability to move the ball.

Also remember Notre Dame's coach speaking of UGA, when he said,"their receivers run simple routes.' He was saying in so many words, "we're not concerned about trying to figure out what UGA does in their passing game, it's basic stuff.

Basic isn't bad if you have great personnel. We didn't. Cager was the go to guy early on and then when he went out due to injury it became Pickens and that's about all.

I will like it when the defense we're playing looks lost because they don't know whats coming. Imagine that, if you can.