Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Off Topic and Down votes.

Comments

• QvoxQvox Posts: 436 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2020

We have a lot of Gen Z and younger Millennials, a lot of these poor kids have spent most or all of their lives on the dopamine rollercoaster that is social media. To them the down vote is a real weapon.

Boomers and for the most part Gen X, and some of the older Millennials are somewhat immune to it because we weren't raised on it. For me this up and down vote thing is new. This is the only forum I'm a member of that has both up and down votes. I don't have social media accounts like Facebook or Twitter, I never have.

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is not off topic. It just proves with the OT vote that there are some sick minds on this forum!

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I am actually grateful we didn't have social media growing up. And I'm doing my best to raise my kids knowing how insignificant it is, and in some cases harmful.

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • truepingtrueping Posts: 360 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2020

All of us on this forum have come here to read the opinions of others and to express our own opinions. It is all too easy to misinterpret the words that someone else types. For example, I posted a comment here that received several "votes up" and a "flag" for being disrespectful of another member. The flag was subsequently removed, but this demonstrates my point. We all like the ego boost of being "voted up" on our comments but we should also be ready to accept that others might not agree with, or might completely misunderstand our point and vote down what we post. In those immortal words of Sgt. Hulka "Lighten up Francis"!! Not all of our comments here are golden and if someone disagrees with you, SO WHAT. A little number in a black rectangle is not the end of the world. It's just someone expressing his/her opinion just like you.

I"m done now.

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think most posters couldn't care less about UV, DV, OT, Flag, whatever.

I am too.

I think we're going to get some long-term, not so great, effects from all of this. Social media is a technological form of low dose amphetamine. We've really only had it since the '00s. What happens when you start people on something that raises dopamine levels above baseline from childhood? It's an interesting question.

What happens to those kids in their mid-life. Will we have a wave of depression and suicide? Are we already seeing the effects in some way?

When I first joined Dawgnation's forum I thought a person could be banned for having too many down votes or off-topic tic marks. Kind of like that episode from the anthology television series Black Mirror, titled "Nosedive".

If that's not really the case, then there's really nothing to worry about with upvote and off-topic tick marks, is there?

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm one that could care less. I get more Off Topic and DV's than anybody on this board and I'm sure I'll get a bunch for this one. I just laugh, who cares to many other more important things to think about.

Goooooo Dawgs!

• truepingtrueping Posts: 360 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2020

Don't worry Johnny, It was probably me with my hormonal-overly sensitive computer touchpad that casts Off Topic, and Vote Downs if I so much as look at it wrong. Think nothing of it.

p.s. It does cast a lot of Vote Ups too!!

• RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think they let you know if folks are listening. I like To receive and give out uv’s. Have only dv’ed 12ed. I dont think anybody cares if I disagree with them or not

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think I'm establishing a new policy. I'm Off Topic voting everyone, just for fun.

DVs seem to come in waves, I wonder if it's hormonal, or maybe it has to do with the lunar cycle in some way.

hmmm ....I bet there's a big fat federal grant available to study this phenomena.

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod

Like most, I really don't care about the votes pertaining to me, and I think others should brush it off and not get worked up over it. This is something installed by the board "builders" and we Mods have nothing to do with what is in place. If it is disliked so much, maybe we Mods can "suggest" a change to the Admins, but it is not up to us make changes.

On the other hand and a side note, Mods can see all the members who vote. We look at those who really have an agenda in using the option towards other members for no reason but spite. Those doing so really take this as a warning to stop it now. If certain members decide to ignore this advice, don't be surprise of the outcome.

• CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Maybe create a poll and let the results speak for themselves ?

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod

That can be done but Jeff is the pretty much the only one that can make any changes to the board format. As the members and even us Mods know, it's not easy tying Jeff down for anything, much less looking into this for a few weeks/months.... 😉

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thank you for seconding the Black Mirror reference. It's spot on.