Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

National Signing Day: Georgia football live updates, 2020 signees, commitments

SystemSystem Posts: 10,439 admin
edited February 2020 in Article commenting

imageNational Signing Day: Georgia football live updates, 2020 signees, commitments

The Georgia Bulldogs can wrap up their 2020 recruiting class on Wednesday as a part of National Signing Day. This is when committed prospects can sign with schools after some have done so during the Early Signing Period back in December. Georgia begins the day with the No. 1 recruiting class and some of its top

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Jones has signed already. Not sure why story says he re-committed.

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

What's up with no news about Sedrick Van Pran-Granger? What time does his ceremony commence?

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Jones is a Dawg! Van Pran-Granger....no word. He will sign UGA. Said he would. No worries, mates.

• Options

Well, I guess we're going to find out if we can be a National Championship contender with a bunch of 3-star players in main positions. Sure seems like we signed a bevy of them late in the recruiting game, almost like a brand new coaching staff that's coming into the situation late. But I guess there was no need to rush on these guys. Not gonna lie, the lateness of the signings and their mid-level ratings has me somewhat concerned. I know, I know -- again, I KNOW -- that stars and rankings aren't everything. But like keeping score in a game -- there's a reason why people rank these guys and I want all the big ones we can get. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    Dawgfan1995Dawgfan1995 Posts: 77 ✭✭✭ Junior

Three-star players in main positions are not a problem. See, for example, Deandre Baker, Eric Stokes, Solomon Kindley, Jordan Davis, Lawrence Cager and J.R. Reed, just to name a few. J.R. Reed, coming out of high school, was the 1856th best player according to 247 Sports.

The problem is when you ONLY have 3-star guys everywhere and you're relying on them to start as freshmen. I highly doubt that many of these guys will start immediately. These guys are ones you work into rotations, redshirt after playing 3-4 games at most as freshmen, and get them on your strength & conditioning program. Some will develop, others will not.

Finally, in total this year, Georgia signed SIX three-star guys (and one of those was a kicker). The only ones who signed FEWER were Alabama (4) and Texas (4). Clemson also signed 6. For comparison, under Kirby, we signed 9 in 2016 (incl. Tyler Simmons, Tyrique McGhee, Brian Herrien, & Solomon Kindley), 5 in 2017 (Stokes, Landers, Shaffer, Ameer Speed, and Latavious Brini), 4 in 2018 (Jordan Davis, Owen Condon, and Jake Camarda, with Tramel Walthour going to JUCO), and four in 2019 (Tymon Mitchell, Brett Seither, Walthour, and Stetson Bennett).

So, the sky isn't falling. The birds haven't stopped chirping. And Georgia can be a National Championship contender by signing 6 three-star players for depth and specific roles in a single recruiting class.

• Options
    FlallnaturalFlallnatural Posts: 14 ✭ Freshman

We still have the #1 recruiting class in the country with those 6 players. Those players may turn into stars themselves and outshine the 4* and 5* players on our team. Competition brings out the best of people and Georgia has had the best of the best for years. They can step up their game with good coaching. In Kirby & Co I trust.

• Options
    BoydCrowderBoydCrowder Posts: 73 ✭✭✭ Junior

Great day to be a Georgia Bulldog. Looking forward to seeing these young men play. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

In Kirby I trust.

More and more as he grows in coaching wisdom and experience.

It's a great day to be a Georgia Bulldog and football fanatic.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options

Thanks for the dose of reality @Dawgfan1995. I hadn't realized the depth of the talent. And you're likely right -- most of these guys won't play right away (if at all their freshman year) and will get the chance to develop. And, as you said, some will stick, some won't. That's the nature of the game. I feel better now.

But on another matter, in this most recent post, it's funny to me that Kirby is saying you can hardly find a freshman tackle who starts right away. "It's hard to do," he said. Yet, Kirby somehow managed to find exactly that three years ago. lol. And I really do appreciate his comments about chasing guys who don't fit in with the values of the university of the football program. Winning with honor is always best. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Since we're #1, wouldn't UGA be the top SEC & SEC East team, as opposed to FU?

• Options
    Dawgfan1995Dawgfan1995 Posts: 77 ✭✭✭ Junior

That's the spirit, @DallasDawg. Always keep in mind context when we get to this second signing day. The evaluations by Georgia's staff for these last few guys seems to be driven by senior film -- the stories about these guys all cite to their senior year film -- and often that film is overlooked or not evaluated as heavily by recruiting services in coming to their rankings of guys.

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    budknox310budknox310 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I agree. Poor writing perhaps? I'm guessing they meant after GA and Ala.

Now a question. How are these numbers going to work? Didn't Ga only have 23 scholarships available? Are there going to be blue

shirts? More transfers we don't know about yet? More info would be nice. Happy about the class, but not sure if I'm happy about losing several scholarships for next year on that many 3 stars. Some could work out , but some will probably not. But who cares, give these young men a chance. And maybe they will work super hard to make it.

Go Dawgs.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's GREAT to be a GEORGIA BULLDOG!!

SEC has 7 of the Top 10 recruiting classes this year. BIG 10 only has Ohio State in the Top 10.

GO DAWGS!!

• Options
    jackbmattjackbmatt Posts: 122 ✭✭✭ Junior

Patrick Mahomes was a 3 star recruit...as were literally about half of each of the Chiefs and 49'ers rosters. Just sayin'

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Georgia finishes with the No. 1 class, Alabama at No. 2 and Clemson at No. 3. Florida is the highest ranked SEC East team, as the Gators and Dan Mullen came in at at No. 8. Tennessee finished with the No. 15 class.

Connor blew it, it appears: UGA is SEC and is #1n nation and SEC East and SEC.

Quite a few 3 stars....but I am a believer in these guys. Smart knows what he is doing. Sure, some may not work out. The coaches are closer to the situation than we are. Scholarships do matter. All we can do is see how it works out.

I see a deep and powerful UGA team this year.....tremendous potential.....nearly unprecedented. So proud of our coaches!! This gives UGA the talent, now develop it and win us a NATTY!

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2020

Broderick Jones re-commits to UGA? How so? Impossible to re-commit when you never de-commited. Never saw 1 article on his de-commitment, only articles stating he was taking his allotted official visits.. HUGE difference between visiting, and de-commiting.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Roquan Smith was also a 3* recruit coming out of High School.. Turned out to be 1 of the best LB's to ever play at UGA.

• Options
    rhclaghornrhclaghorn Posts: 106 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited February 2020

Pretty sure Roquan was a 4-star. I remember him being highly sought after, and was considered a big win when we pulled him from UCLA. If his position coach there hadn't bolted for the NFL, he probably would have been a Bruin. Anyway, I agree with your point that he turned out to be an even better player than his recruiting ranking would have indicated. One of the all time great Dawgs!