Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Why do some threads get closed?

JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I understand why a thread gets shut down because two forum members take it over with a tangential argument that spirals into name-calling. But why was the 2020 recruiting (or the Zach Evans) thread shut down? There are over a thousand threads that run their course naturally; when the forum ceases to be interested they just filter into oblivion. That seems like a pretty good system to me.

If I (or anyone else) have a thought to add to the subject of 2020 recruiting I could start a new thread, or I could just post it onto an existing thread... if it weren't closed.

I'm not taking up a pitchfork for leaving threads open, I'm just asking, "why?" Why don't we close the "Keys to beating Notre Dame" thread or the "Gene Steratone is an idiot" thread?

Comments

• BeefDawgBeefDawg Posts: 115 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I agree. Seems the solution would be for moderators to "moderate"... ie. delete the offending posts. Closing the threads just seems lazy.

• Bulldawg1982Bulldawg1982 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What's crazy is there's a thread on the 1st page right now that started in April 2017.

• OldGuardDawgOldGuardDawg Posts: 19 ✭✭ Sophomore

My .02 cents worth. If a thread is going to be “retired” or closed, make a announcement or something. I thought there was something wrong with my browser. Lol.

ok rant over!! Go Dawgs!

• Bulldawg1982Bulldawg1982 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I guess b/c NSD is officially over, they would've liked to have seen the 2020 thread die off without closing but when people started arguing with the homophobic guy they just decided to shut it down. I assume that's the only reason b/c the "WHAT'S WRONG WITH UGA RECRUITING" thread is still kicking.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We have some pretty aggressive mods (some, not all). Never seen so many threads closed on a forum. A lot of times it's simply because "there's another thread already on the subject"...like we have limited bandwidth and can't handle two threads on the same topic.

I agree with the OP about closing a thread just because a couple of guys go off on a tangent and start calling each other names. Just delete those posts and warn the offenders....but leave the thread going. This forum should be about what the members want to talk about, not what some of the mods want us to talk about.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Jeff set the precedent of shutting the Commit to the G threads down after signing day. Feel free to PM on why it is that way, as I'm not quite sure either... I agree with @JoelSidneyKelly on letting threads die a "natural" death or fading pages deep if folks are no longer talking about that topic.

• dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,169 mod

My call want to fight about being gay or not gay take it somewhere else

• UGA_2019UGA_2019 Posts: 157 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited February 2020

Great example of good vs not-so-good moderation in the two posts above. Thanks @Teddy for answering OP’s question in a respectful manner.