Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Prep Sports and the Courts...

Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just a good FYI if anyone wants to comment or discuss, since there may be a void in discussion points right now...

In an age of entitlement, this shows that the courts do not believe in entitlement when it comes to high school athletics...

Constitutional Law:

Due Process & Being Cut from Teams

In May 2019, in another of the long line of precedents addressing the issue whether students have a constitutional right to participate in school sports programs, a federal trial court judge denied a motion for a rehearing of his October 2018 ruling for the school in a case involving a high school soccer player cut from his team, Doe v. Ladue Horton Watkins High School (MO). The 16-year-old junior, identified in court documents as John Doe, didn’t make the varsity squad at the school and was barred from returning to the junior varsity team because younger players were given priority based on the coach’s discretion. His family sued, claiming several constitutional and civil rights-related violations. However, in the court’s written opinion in the case, U.S. District Judge John Ross stated, “[the school] argues that Doe will suffer no harm because he has no legal right to participate in high school sports … the Court agrees … Courts have long held that participation in inter-scholastic athletics programs is not a property right, but a privilege … accordingly, Doe suffers no legal harm by being excluded from the JV team.

Comments

• Options
    LBCoachLBCoach Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have no words except L O L.

• Options
    texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Coaches have to be able to make cuts. And playing HS sports is a privilege.....not a right. Completely agree.

That being said..... I absolutely hate cuts. Never had to deal with it in football. Football is rarely a cut sport.

But have had to deal with it in softball for years. Had to make cuts last week. I lose sleep over it and will do everything possible to keep girls. But can only have so many on a roster.

I'm the only coach at my school that doesn't post roster until after all cuts were made. Other coaches use the roster to announce who made the team. I sit down with each girl I cut. I hate it.

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, cuts are no fun for anyone, including coaches, but they are a part of life.

As everyone knows, one of the best things about sports is that it constantly teaches life lessons. Failure is one of them. As well as success. Along with how to work, how to sacrifice, how to be a leader or a role player, how to be a team player, how to handle victory with grace, and defeat with dignity.