Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Great local HS story that made national news, in case you missed it...

AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Credit to @Canedawg2140's other thread about the role of cuts in high school sports for inspiring me to post this.

It's a feel-good story, and one I'm personally involved with, but I'll leave those details out. Suffice to say, if you or your own child has ever failed to make a team, this is a dream scenario, too good to be true. That's why the story was picked up by ESPN, CNN, NBC Nightly News, and other national media.

Here's the USA Today account, with video footage.

Comments

• pocoyopocoyo Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Awesome. He'll remember that the rest of his life.

• RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2020

That is awesome. Has some game.

Saw something similar in the last few days on the news. Manager of a boys basketball ball team had autism. He was allowed to come in and score a few baskets . Uncontested. Can’t remember if it was national news or local (Savannah area)

• JayCrowJayCrow Posts: 131 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited February 2020

I have seen that video as well. It's been around several years.

No, this was recent. Like within the last week. Unless it was fake news

Could have been, but you know how these videos get recycled over & over again...

It was Savannah. Google “Top fight soars for Atom Smashers”. His nic name is top flight

The one I've seen was from 2006. Kid's name is Jason McElwain. Scored 20 points in 4 minutes. Pretty darn impressive.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This kid was not autistic. But he was a senior, and he had never been able to make the team. So he signed up to serve as a manager, and after doing that all season, the coach let him dress out just this one time because it was the final regular season game of the year.

There was no expectation that he would even set foot on the court. But Pace had a safe lead late, so he subbed in with a minute left. Got the ball on the inbounds with 10 seconds left. Brought the ball up court, made that behind-the-back move and drained the three at the buzzer.

This wasn't just his "first" game, as the headline says. It was his "last" game too. One brief shining moment in the sun.

If they made a movie with that ending you'd say, "this would never happen in real life." And it couldn't have happened to a nicer kid.