Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

1917 Was Robbed!!!

Comments

• DawgsauceDawgsauce Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What do you think about Snowpiercer being the sequel to the original Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory?

• bobbybobby Posts: 150 ✭✭✭ Junior

Ha - I'd like to read that interpretation. I was an English professor in a former life, and I told my kids that they could tell me that Moby Dick was about a guy trying to hail a large white cab if they wanted to - as long as they had something to back it up. The goal of course was to think and analyze beyond the surface of the material . So, Snowpiercer being the sequel to WWCF would be something I'd enjoy reading if it was well thought out.

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2020

I love war movies, and few are done anywhere near as well as 1917. The storyline, acting, and the effects were all equal to or better than Saving Private Ryan. It didn’t have the brutality of Omaha Beach, but it still shows just how barbaric WWI was (11 million soldiers died and another 21 million were wounded). Anyway, Hollywood can su€k it. I don’t care two dog barks about what Brad Pitt thinks or what Joaquin Phoenix thinks of me eating beef. I saw Parasite, too. It was good, but not as emotionally moving or of the scale as 1917. JMO.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Saw Snowpiercer and liked it. The Host and Mother were also good. No doubt Bong is a talented film maker.

The Willy Wonka clip you posted was funny and interesting- thanks for sharing.

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Technically, 1917 was also a foreign film. I don’t have a problem with Parasite winning, but I personally don’t think it was the best. As for award shows, I’d rather watch a WNBA game.

• RandomFanRandomFan Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lets leave the political commentary out, thanks. Unless we're going to remove the hypocrisy and it's going to become possible to actually defend the other side without having posts deleted?

• BeefDawgBeefDawg Posts: 115 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited February 2020

First, it's an Off-Topic thread, so anything is fair game. Not to mention this topic is inherently political.

Second, this is rich coming from the TDS afflicted guy who can't leave political posts out of threads on the Falcons forums.

And lastly, **** did I say that was really political? I said what everyone on the planet knows Hollywood actors do. They say one thing and then do another.

• RandomFanRandomFan Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Are we on the Falcons forums?

And I said what I'm gonna say here. Leave it at that. Trust me, you don't want me to undress that ridiculous post of yours, and several others in here.

• pocoyopocoyo Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2020

Agree with some of this but you're painting with a very

broad brush. Generalities are just that. They clump people who are not deserving in with people who are.

• LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Saving Private Ryan is great, but the scene where Mellish dies is just unwatchable for me. Awesome acting though...it's just tough to get through.

That said, I thought "1917" was a beautifully made movie. They could have made the violence over the top, but I'm glad they didn't. The story was about the mission, and how it made you feel like you were there with them. The cinematography for this really was the Oscar winner to me! The first time I saw it was in Dolby Vision + Atmos, and it was a much better experience than the typical cinema.

Somehow, I got my wife to go with me the 2nd time I saw it. She was reluctant since it's a war film, after all. There were a few "ewww" moments, but I think the story overcame them for her.

The Blake and Schofield scene was the main Oscar worthy moment, I thought, because it came as a complete surprise for me and you see it happen in real time. The "big" running scene has been played over and over, and it still isn't a giveaway because it doesn't have context until you see it.

Roger Deakins (cinematographer of "1917") said yesterday that if "Parasite" wins, it will deserve it because he really liked it.

Based on what I've read about "Parasite", it's a good movie, but the end scenes were described as over the top by the reviews that I read.

I can guess why voting members may have voted for "Parasite" to win...it makes much more of a political statement over a movie that glorifies war.

And I understand that not everyone likes a good war movie. My middle daughter went with me the first time I saw "1917", but nothing could compel my oldest daughter to go see it. She says she'll watch it when it comes home, and I definitely plan to get the 4K disc.

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2020

I'm honestly curious what the political statement behind "Parasite" winning best film is? Anti-war? Pro non-white? I'm kind of lost on it.

Edit: 1917 is also a foreign film, so I'm confused why some are frothing at the mouth over a foreign film winning best picture and insisting a different foreign film should have won?