Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Fire Tom Crean after the season

FBdawg2FBdawg2 Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

I miss Mark Fox. Yeh, I know that he didn't recruit very well, but the guy could coach. He was not a flashy coach, but his teams played DEFENSE. BBall defense is effort, want to, discipline. Watching Coach Crean's team Ply defense is a joke. An embarrassment. This is not going to change. Sure you can blame young players, lack of big men, etc, etc. But ask yourself,...did we see Coach Fox's teams repeatedly mail it in on defense?! NO!

Our AD needs to hire a Good coach after the season,..someone with experience who can COACH!

Comments

• FBdawg2FBdawg2 Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman
  • greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

🙄 Well, you would have fired Kirby after he went 8-5 in year one, so... I’m as disappointed as anyone, but be patient. It isn’t like we were a perineal final-four team up until he arrived.

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

... which is really sad when you consider the amount of High School Basketball talent is in this region. There's no excuse for Georgia to continue this odyssey of failed round ball.

• TuckyDawgTuckyDawg Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I would not call for his firing. We have not exactly set the world on fire in attracting great coaches, that wanted to be at Georgia. We need to give him a couple of more years, if we ever going to sustain a decent level or recruiting.

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agree, he has to have time to recruit the players that fit his scheme and philosophy.

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • LowcountryDawg21LowcountryDawg21 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Perhaps not. One BojanglesInsider got shown the door for such, ahem, “diagrams.”

• GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

These two things can be separated...

Mark Fox needed to go, there is no doubt in my mind he needed to go and I stand by it. The offensive scheme he utilized is mostly antiquated and although he had brought back respect, it was clear to me that he was not going to take Georgia to another level.

Tom Crean is proving to be a bad coach (if he's not one of the worst in the SEC, he's easily bottom 3) that has lost anything he had previously over the past two seasons. He has his team in position where it's very likely they will not win another game, so it'll be back to back 2-16's and some of the worst seasons in Georgia basketball history since Dennis Felton, and as things have cleared out, there's pretty much nothing to cheer about right now other than recruiting (and that's a maybe with how this year is going), unless you want to be extremely, extremely patient.

He's not getting fired because of the buyout though. It's very high. The buyout gives him a 3rd season almost by default and honestly a chance at a 4th with even minor improvement if I'm remembering correctly. But one thing that I can tell you is that he's lost any good will very fast. He likely won't get a sell out of season tickets even if he begs and cries for it after this year.

If there's any hope at all, it comes in the foreign tour this summer maybe showing some things to work out and young players having to improve by default.

And just so you know, I wasn't calling for Kirby to be fired when he went 8-5 either. I held out to year 2, saying that we need to wait and see, and I honestly mostly did with Crean as well. Generally if a coach is going to work positively for you, you're going to figure it out very quickly. Even if you want to call it a major rebuild. I'd say you do in 2, maybe 3 years at the most, and by my window, Crean's window is closing very quickly. It will be shut if you don't see a huge leap in 20/21, and needless to say, I'm not counting on it.

I didn't expect national championship, but I expected at least respectability, and you're not seeing it.

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m amazed at the talk of firing Crean. Georgia has not been a top basketball school. We have a mediocre history lately. Crean has not had time to build the program.

Tom Crean is a proven coach. It might take a little longer to bring Georgia to respectability.

• SpikedDawgSpikedDawg Posts: 106 ✭✭✭ Junior

I never understand this line of reasoning. Crean is not inheriting some behemoth program. Fox did something that had only been done once in UGA history by getting us three 20-win seasons in a row (you know, considering we only had ten 20 win seasons dating all the way back to 1905. There are decades of complete irrelevance in UGA history. To build anything with this program, it will take a while - especially given we aren't known for getting players into the league. While I am not saying to give Crean unreasonable patience, we also need to be realistic in what our program is.

• dirtypantsdirtypants Posts: 259 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Let's pump the brakes here. I am a dawg fan living in Indiana. I am also a purdue alumni. One thing I can say is that I was very excited the dawgs got Tom Crean and I still think he is the right coach for the job. If you look at what he did as IU's coach, and what has happened since, you see the guy needs time. He is trying to balance one and done players with guys that need full college careers to make the league. To date, only a handful of coaches have done that, and those are the programs that are perennial contenders, and even those programs go through slumps.

Biggest takeaway though, is that when he leaves a program, he leaves a smoking crater where the basketball program used to be. He does good work, he is a great coach and recruiter, but we have to give him his time.