Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Memorial Day weekend in Maine?

tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Booked airfare to Boston early morning Thursday, flying out late Monday. That would give me almost five full days. Head up to Maine. Bar Harbour was the goal but not sure 5+ hour drive each way is worth it for a short trip. 

tentative plan would be head to Kennebunkport for Thurs-Fri, then to Portland Fri-Sat, then to Rockland Sat-Sun, then head back to Boston Monday morn. Spend the afternoon in Boston and fly out that night

any suggestions on where to go, to eat, etc

Comments

• DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sounds like you’re asking about what to do in Maine not Boston? I would ask the same thing about Maine and can ask a coworker. In Boston we got a good bicycle tour That’s an easy way to see some good sites

• tfk_fanboytfk_fanboy Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yes sir (or ma'am)

Only flying into Boston but the three cities I mentioned, and the duration of the trip, are in Maine. Haven't been since I was a kid and that was in Bangor

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Pemaquid (Bristol) is half way between Portland and Rockland. It's a scenic small town with great history. There's a famous light house on the point that dates to 1827. Might be worth a lunch stop when you make that drive on Saturday.

• PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A few random recs: we stayed in Kennebunkport and Camden, and both were nice, and we did several day trips. My faves were Bar Harbor/Acadia and Ogunquit. There is a nice walking path by the sea in Ogunquit called the Marginal Way. We ate at a place called, On the Marsh, in Kennebunkport--quite good when you get tired of lobster rolls.

• GolfdawgGolfdawg Posts: 5 ✭ Freshman

Wrapping up four days in Portland today. Great city. The food scene is amazing. If you like oysters do not miss Eventide. They have 12-14 different varieties every day.

• Old_lady_dawg_fanOld_lady_dawg_fan Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've been trying to get to Kittery where US submarines have been built and tested for years. They have a few museums in town where you don't have to get into the navy yard. The first rescue equipment was used there in 1939 just off shore to bring up half the crew off the Squalus that sank during a shakedown cruise. Fascinating story! The command tower is in the yard if you can figure out how to gain access.

• JAXDAWGJAXDAWG Posts: 134 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Check out the Topside Inn at Boothbay Harbor. Charming little seaside town and the Inn sits up on a hill overlooking the bay.....and of course lobster is available for every meal. It's been a few years since I visited Maine, but I loved Boothbay Harbor.

• dirtypantsdirtypants Posts: 259 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Portland is awesome. It is a quaint small city with great food. Basically everything on the water side of commercial street is going to be great. Particularly DeMillo's and Duckfat. Also Lukes if you want lobster.

Fishing in Maine cannot be overstated. If you are any sort of angler, you need to get a temporary license(any wal mart) and hit the water. You will not regret it. Fish off a pier or head inland to a lake. Fishing in Maine is some of the best, unspoiled, open water fishing you can get. Take advantage. Although, it will still be fairly cold in Maine at the end of May.

• Massdawg624Massdawg624 Posts: 53 ✭✭✭ Junior

While in New England come visit me here on Cape Cod!

• BangersBangers Posts: 825 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Stop in Wiscasset for a Lobster Roll at Red's Eats when you are driving between Portland and Rockland. But before you get there, stop in Freeport and visit the L.L. Bean store and buy a pair of Bean boots if you don't already have one - if you do, buy something else - tons of great appear and gear there.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I received my first pair of Bean's when I was 18, and I still have them almost 40 years later. Gave a pair to both of my sons as well. Would be a cool experience to see the store in Freeport.

• DawgsauceDawgsauce Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I hiked the A.T. in 2000. When I got to Maine I hitchhiked to Bar Harbor. I had met somebody else who was hiking the trail that had a house there and they let me stay there. I spent three days on the island and hiking around Acadia National park. It was an amazing time in an amazing place. The beauty of the island can't be overstated. I spent the weekend eating lobster tail baskets for $8.00! The people were friendly, went sailing around the island, and the Park is such a cool juxtaposition of cliffs and the ocean. I would highly recommend visiting the island, but not if you have to spend a bunch of time getting there only to spend 1 day. For a weekend I would pull the trigger.