Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Bama, Georgia, Ohio State and Clemson may be responsible for changing transfer rules.

Comments

• Options
    joe_n_stefjoe_n_stef Posts: 112 ✭✭✭ Junior

Did Luke Ford red-shirt?

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Without consist regulation this is getting worse. If restricting transfers to one per player with immediate eligibility, I can live with it. I’d place one caveat on that—no transfers within the conference.

• Options
    dragonslayerdragonslayer Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not certain whether I like the proposal versus the current flawed and seemingly arbitrary system, I'd like to see argument from both sides. It does seem that transferring within conference should be discouraged in some way. Maybe the recipient school should reimburse the transferring school for the year(s) of scholarship the athlete enjoyed. Just throwing that out (as a booster).

• Options
    umoonerumooner Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That would just add unnecessary complication. Most school are going to be paying very close to 85 scholarships anyway.

• Options
    DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Who trusts the NCAA to go by any rules they put in place?

• Options
    MinnesotaDawgMinnesotaDawg Posts: 552 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Another unsavory, but realistic scenario....

Player decides to use freebie transfer to School A in order to avoid a mandatory or discipline-related suspension at School B, which has a higher standard with respect to certain behaviors or activities.

Fill in the blanks for Schools A and B however you wish.

• Options
    deutcshland_dawgdeutcshland_dawg Posts: 1,595 mod

The bigger impact is if the XFL actually sticks around. Vince McMahon has stated they are not ruling out taking kids straight out of High School. May do like the NBA and make it one year removed from High School. This could potentially have a huge impact on CFB. Why transfer when you can join the XFL and get paid while waiting for the three years the NFL requires?

https://www.nj.com/sports/2019/04/reshaping-professional-football-could-the-xfl-take-players-too-young-for-the-nfl.html

• Options
    law_dawg35law_dawg35 Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is getting ridiculous! I believe this will hurt the game alot. But on the flip side I also believe that because of this the NCAA will have to expand the playoffs. Cause ultimately the number of teams with a shot to win the NC will increase. Thats the only good thing I see coming from this.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2876937-ncaa-working-group-proposes-waiver-change-for-immediate-d1-transfer-eligibility

• Options
    UgahikeUgahike Posts: 70 ✭✭✭ Junior

Just wait till other schools get the word out by means of behind the back hearsay . All the hard work some coaches put in will be wasted on recruiting. Does this mean a letter or intent signed will be worthless. Can they leave after spring game if they think they want get playing time. This is a huge mistake.

• Options
    QvoxQvox Posts: 436 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2020

This isn't going to increase the number 4 and 5 star players available. There are a limited number of talented players available each year, and those talented players tend to want to play for successful programs.

Think about it, there are roughly about 1,100,00 high school football players in the US, about 10,000 scholarships players in Div 1 football at any time. Out of those roughly 10k scholarship players roughly 250 will be drafted into the NFL each year.

If a 4 or 5 star player only wanted to make sure he started for a team, pick any number of non-elite teams that's not stacked with talented players. They'd be guaranteed to start their freshman year.

I don't see this one action leveling the playing field dramatically. Elite players will still want to play with elite programs. The playing field was leveled when the NCAA enforced scholarship limits, and cracked down on recruiting violations.

• Options
    bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This works both ways.

UGA will be impacted, but you better believe they will impact.

think about how much effort they put in recruiting... do you think if a player can transfer in to play for the top programs that they won’t.

they get more exposure and can win a natty without sitting out.

• Options
    corai3corai3 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If a kids wants to transfer in conference, then they should have to sit a year. If a kid wants to transfer out of conference, then let them play.

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2020

My biggest point I try to make in all of this is how some think sitting out a year is the end of the world. People act like this is detrimental to their rights and future or such crap. 🙄

• Options

It's a good idea to attach some sort of cost to a school that poaches their competition's players. But the actual price tag of one players scholarship to a big time program is to insignificant to sway any behavior of that sort.

• Options

I kind of wish they would. It'd clean up our sport a lot if they took the ones that are only interested in getting paid and playing. I guess we'd lose some talent but I'm not sure if it'd be noticeable in the grand scheme.

• Options
    edited February 2020

As a fan of one of the bigger programs in college football, I'm well aware that this would likely help UGA more than hurt. But there are bigger things at play here. I think turning college football into a dirty mercenary league would absolutely destroy the support it receives. It would drag the entire thing down into the mud. Fans won't care about players that have no loyalty what so ever to the program. Do not underestimate what this would do to the sport overall. Do not think college football is to big to fail.

• Options
    law_dawg35law_dawg35 Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If that happend then the NCAA would have to start allowing the schools to pay the highly ranked players. They would be forced to.