Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Covid-19

corai3corai3 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This virus is getting crazy. Just saw the Ivy League canceled their basketball tournaments and spring practice. The NCAA is contemplating canceling the NCAA tourney. Colleges going to online semesters or canceling altogether. I work for a school system in Georgia and it looks like we are about to have a 3 week spring break.

Comments

• CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2020

Yale is moving to online classes until at least early April @YaleDawg

You know, for a hoax they're really selling it well

• corai3corai3 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That's my thought exactly. I believed the hoax narrative, but the longer its going on the more I'm getting actually concerned. My wife is pregnant with our first kid. I'm not trying to take any chances.

• lmiked7lmiked7 Posts: 144 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I live very near that Waffle House so that kind of made it feel more real. It's weird seeing this go from starting off in China a couple months ago to now see a case pop up so close to home.

Honestly though unless this thing does some weird mutation or something I don't see what all the noise is about. I feel like we're living inside of the chicken little story the way everyone is reacting. Schools are closing, the stock market is crashing, people are raiding grocery stores, there's talk of literally cancelling March madness and having NBA and MLB games with no fans in attendance. All of this while there are a whopping 500ish cases in the US?

I mean I get you don't want it to spread but this has gone past ridiculous at this point given the fact that we're basically talking about a cold that has infected a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the population.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We own a bar. I’m very worried about people staying home out of fear. Take what King County (Seattle) in Washington did last week when they advised all 2.2 million workers to telecommute. The impact to local businesses is tremendous. Just think about all of the restaurants in Seattle who suddenly had their daytime and happy hour business squashed because of a small handful of cases, where every death involved a cluster of elderly people in a nursing home. In this instance, local government has done more damage than anything else. No doubt, the stress of this has likely brought on a heart attack or **** for a small business owner.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As long as your wife is generally healthy (no heart/lung disease, diabetes, etc) you should be fine. It's going to be a very contagious cold for most of us. Tell your parents to be cautious though. In the very few people it's actually killed, the average is age is ~ 80.

• UGA_2019UGA_2019 Posts: 157 ✭✭✭ Junior

Oh yeah, and here’s an article on why social distancing helps to prevent the spread of a highly infectious disease. I see a lot of misinformation here so I thought I’d include this as well. Of course, if you want to continue to go out in crowded places when there’s a global pandemic occurring, that’s your choice. But to spread misinformation because you’re poorly informed is something that’s very dangerous. Don’t be dumb.

Source:

http://smaldino.com/wp/covid-19-modeling-the-flattening-of-the-curve/

• DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My son is home on spring break. Yesterday got an email to stay home another week. Not sure where they go from there but even if it’s just a week it screws up a lot of vacations Were they to extend school as compensation. My youngest daughter will drive my wife crazy if she is home all the time. Time to roll with the punches

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2020

When this all blows over and it turns out to be a whole lot of nothing, I hope someone really takes the media to task for hyping this non-event. It really is a global equivalent of yelling fire in a crowded theater. The mass hysteria is being fueled continuously by media. People are glued to their news source for new information...and the media loves it.

A friend of mine just said that the people who aren't afraid of the virus are the problem because they could inadvertently spread it to others....W.T.F.? That mentality is the problem. People have been brainwashed to believe they could be making the situation worse just by existing. That's the mentality that convinces people to unnecessarily shut down schools, cancel events, and disrupt everyday happenings over a cold.

This discussion has been closed.