Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Youth Coaches. What's the funniest thing you have seen on the field?

JAXDAWGJAXDAWG Posts: 134 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I once saw a coach try to teach his team to bunt by straddling the plate.

During a 10-11 baseball game I was coaching third base when I noticed the other teams left fielder sitting on the ground. I notified the coach who called timeout and shouted to the player to stand up. The player looked at the coach and shouted back "F___ you". He was then taken out of the game. I asked the coach after the game if he spoke to the parent. He said yeah, the parent said "F___ you too!".

Comments

• DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wasn't a coach but when my middle son was playing T-ball we had this girl on the team and when the last inning of a game was over she comes running in from outfield with blood running down her chin. All the adults are freaking out because we thought she got hurt somehow but she runs up to her parents and proudly lets them know she pulled a tooth. I love T-ball.

• TurkDawgTurkDawg Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not from youth sports, but my dad pitched for many years in a men’s slow pitch softball 🥎 league that allowed Unlimited arc on pitches. If my dad got two strikes on someone, he would throw the next pitch backhanded about 30-35 feet up in the air.

Umpires sometimes would yell, “BALL! TOO High!” and my dad would chew them out for not knowing the local rules.

But the funniest thing I saw was one game after a batter reached first safely on an infield error, the umpire called timeout and then called the runner OUT because he was wearing metal spikes.

My dad walks over from the pitchers mound and says, somewhat argumentatively “What’s wrong with that?! Those are the same spikes like I’m wearing.”

Umpire - “Well then you’re out TOO!”

My dad - “I can’t be out - I’m PITCHING!!!”

• deutcshland_dawgdeutcshland_dawg Posts: 1,595 mod
    edited March 2020

Obligatory not a coach but I Umpired baseball and managed the basketball game clock and scoreboard for the local Rec Dept while in Highschool. I Umpired from coach pitch and up. At least once a year you would see kids running to third first or kids scoring baskets for the opposing teams. Its like herding cats. Had a kid in machine pitch that was afraid of the ball. The coach put him at catcher. He literally jumped out of the way of every pitch. Luckily I had the shield versus the catchers gear that day so it wasn't to bad but I flat out ordered the coach to put someone else in as catcher once the half inning was over. Also had a kid in player pitching (10 year olds I think) that when he got to two strikes he would wait to see if the catcher actually caught the ball and if he didn't he would then swing and take off to first. Tried it multiple times and it always ended the same way with us calling him back to the box. Don't know what he was thinking.

• FloridaSuxFloridaSux Posts: 76 ✭✭✭ Junior

7-8 baseball. Foul ball down the left field line almost all the way to the fence. The left fielder stares at it and doesn't go and pick it up. My catcher runs all the way out there and brings it back. I gave him the game ball

• Ace343Ace343 Posts: 41 ✭✭✭ Junior

When I was younger playing rec ball the coach asked a player if he had his cup in the player looked confused and of course went and asked his mama and then came back with her drink from the concession stand and gave it to the coach