Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

What should I plant in my garden?

DuckDawgDuckDawg Posts: 48 ✭✭✭ Junior

With the time off from work, I’ve been making quite a bit of progress on carving a level garden spot out of the hill I call my backyard. What do y’all think I should plant in my garden?

Comments

• Options
    DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Tomatoes and pole beans if you can fight pests. How bad are the deer.

• Options
    allywallyw Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lettuce and herbs are great to start (if your climate is cool enough for lettuce year-round.) Theres actually a good article in this month’s Southern Living about veggie gardening.

• Options
    JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Devil lettuce. Apparently good money in it

just messing around... get the soil ready for what you enjoy and can grow.

• Options

I live in Athens and the deer are pretty bad. I’ll probably have to build a fence around the garden.

• Options
    Old_lady_dawg_fanOld_lady_dawg_fan Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Pick up Square Foot Garden (book). Even if you don't follow it perzackly, you can pick up great principles.

Right now, lettuce, peas, cabbage, etc. can go in. After your last frost, beans, cukes and other veggies will work. You might want to put herbs along one edge. You'd be surprised at what will work practically year round if you don't disturb them. Chives will come back in the same spot year after year. Peppers and tomatoes will thrive in hotter weather. Then you can reverse the veggie planting in the fall. We had broccoli out to Thanksgiving in Georgia.

• Options
    AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Tomatoes, cucumbers and corn.

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I can tell by looking that your dirt could be better. Check your ph amd amend your soil. Squash and cucumbers might grow okay in that soil, but tomatoes need a good root system.

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    how2fishhow2fish Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Heck if you are just starting out , check out can grow in your area and try growing what you and your family will consume. Some things you may have issues growing... I can't grow bell peppers to save my life for some reason. Pinterest is a great source for gardening tips..good luck !

• Options

Yeah I just dug it out of a clay hill, essentially, so its gonna take some mulching to add nutrients.

thinking that I’ll stick with basic row crop vegetables this year

• Options
    DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bring the ph up with lime will help Prevent blossom end rot: Sure deep organic matter will help tomato roots but meanwhile if you like tomatoes I think there still a good choice.

• Options
    BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Composite Seeds

• Options
    dragonslayerdragonslayer Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Plant what the deer like and practice archery skills.

• Options
    JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If you wanna make a lot of money...

• Options
    pocoyopocoyo Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2020

That's funny. It's fairly profitable I hear. Downside is that it may tend to attract a war for control of his garden.

• Options
    Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I am a squash, cucumber, tomato guy. They usually are pretty easy to grow with a little fertilizer and lime in the tomato spots.

• Options
    Bulldawg1982Bulldawg1982 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Legal to grow. Just illegal to harvest. Very easy to grow also, just sprinkle them around on top of soil. Pretty flowers, one of my wife's favs. But you need many many acres to produce a small amount of opium. Wouldn't be worth the risk to harvest in the U.S.