Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Opinion: Kirk Herbstreit's reckless speculation does college football a disservice

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited March 2020 in Article commenting

imageOpinion: Kirk Herbstreit's reckless speculation does college football a disservice

ESPN analyst Kirk Herbstreit offered a bleak projection of an autumn without football Thursday night. "I'll be shocked if we have NFL football this fall, if we have college football. I'll be so surprised if that happens," Herbstreit said on ESPN radio as reported by TMZ.  "Just because from what I understand, people

Read the full story here

Comments

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Maybe the reason Herbie takes himself so seriously is that his media brethren take him seriously. All of the college football fans I know are intelligent enough to recognize that just because he gets paid big bucks by ESPN his opinion is no more valuable than their own.

• WhiznotWhiznot Posts: 9 ✭ Freshman

Herbstreit is just facing reality. If the coronavirus isn't seasonal it will still be active in the Fall. If the virus is seasonal it will return in the fall. We might not have football before we get a vaccine.

• tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

When and if the health experts tell us it is safe to gather in a group larger than 10 should we even be thinking of going back to what we used to do. No one and I repeat no one knows when this pandemic is going to die down. If there is no football this fall then I will greatly miss it, since I am a GA Football Junkie.

• ByrdManByrdMan Posts: 66 ✭✭ Sophomore

Totally agree Brandon!!

• SteelerDawgSteelerDawg Posts: 71 ✭✭✭ Junior

Personally I would be shocked if we don't have football . If we all just do what they are recommending now this will pass through well before summer. Some parts of the country sure, they may be dealing with this and it would probably be much more isolated by then. If it is not they we are truly f'd.

• KBPKBP Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If the reported cases continue to rise and there's probably more people infected that what the latest reports states, then it is not inconceivable that Herbstreit is right. To me, he's not preaching gloom and doom, but I do hope he's wrong.

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sorry BA.....Herbstreit is likely correct. Dang I hate it, but if I could bet on it I’d side with Herbstreit. My heart sides with BA while my brain says we are screwed for a good while. Go Dawgs!!!

• BoydCrowderBoydCrowder Posts: 73 ✭✭✭ Junior

Clearly it's reckless and irresponsible for anyone to express an opinion that Brandon Adams finds disagreeable. In the future all media outlets should send all written articles and video segments to Brandon Adams for his approval before airing or posting them. His is the only opinion in the world that matters.

• HuckleberryHuckleberry Posts: 463 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Opinions are like.........noses. Everybody has one. Mine? I'm not putting it out there on this one. I'm not your Huckleberry this time. I would miss college football like the breath of life. I would also miss my loved ones if they contracted this virus and I lost some of them. There are going to be a lot of tough decisions made before this is over and done with.

• adcdadcd Posts: 16 ✭ Freshman

I love my Dawgs but I love my family and friends more. Kirk may just be correct. Brandon Adams, not so much.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2020

Let's just hope this doesn't happen. Worst case maybe we get lucky and just have a few games cancelled or push the start of the season out a few weeks. It's just way too early to speculate. No team has any kind of advantage over another team by missing Spring practice. I feel sure all the players are doing solo drills and working out as much as possible to keep in shape. Fall is my favorite season mostly due to college ball. If it doesn't happen I will be devastated as will millions of fans and thousands of players/staff. And how that would snowball going forward into next season remains to be seen.

From an overall CV perspective in the U.S., I am concerned we didn't take this seriously enough early (like China, South Korea, Japan and Hong Kong did), and we still are barely touching the surface on true lockdown-type social restrictions nationwide. Planes are still flying domestically (and are required to continue to fly all normally scheduled routes even if the planes are empty as part of the stimulus package just passed), and people are still traveling on the interstates State-to-State. On Thursday, over 200,000 people still passed through U.S. airports. That means over 1 million people are still flying domestically every week. Is that a smart thing to continue? Every State is doing their own thing as far as restrictions. I guess time will tell how this whole thing ends up and when normal life is able to truly resume.

• JimmyBobJimmyBob Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

Reckless speculation? You’d think he was the president telling everyone to go back to normal before all public health experts said we should.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm going with Huckleberry on this one. A lot at stake with COVID-19. Family first....then football. It will get sorted out one way or the other as time reveals the truth of things. There is always hope!

• oregondawgoregondawg Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

If I didn't have to kill so much time during the day, I would gladly remove BA from the playlist after articles like this. He writes, "The answer to that is unclear, but it’s a safe bet that the decision shouldn’t be made by a sports broadcaster." BA, Herbstreit was not saying he should have the right to make the decision, he was simply offering his opinion on the situation, which is the same thing you do everyday about what high school sophomore wide receiver is going to lead UGA to a championship. Easy on the anger. Let's get outside our little bubble here and see that the world is going to be fine without football for a year and that is coming from someone who is wild about the dawgs and hopes there's a season but come on, we're talking about mass casualties here. Deep breath and a little perspective will age well, BA.

• rhclaghornrhclaghorn Posts: 106 ✭✭✭ Junior

Sure hope that Herbie is wrong. It's true that a vaccine will not be available in time for the football season, but there is always the possibility of effective treatments being available by then. This remains a very fluid situation.