Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

NCAA advances ball on player compensation for name, image and likeness usage

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited April 2020 in Article commenting

imageNCAA advances ball on player compensation for name, image and likeness usage

Georgia football players would seem to be in position to benefit greatly from usage of their name, image and likeness by the start of the 2021 football season per NCAA legislation advanced this week

Read the full story here

Comments

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I hate to start this post. I am not a fan of NIL. Once you start down this slippery slope you will have all kinds of "rules" interpretations and misuse. Sankey: "“We must also develop a system to effectively monitor endorsement agreements to insure compliance with policies and rules that will be established.”

Sankey said it will also be important to have a “mechanism” in place that would “deter boosters from directly or indirectly paying student-athletes as a means to influence the recruiting process.”

You guys can have at it. I am just not a fan...personal. I have never been for mixing endorsement money and college football. To me it is an amateur sport. Track and Field has done something similar but goes beyond the college level...Diamond League.

• Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This will spill into recruiting immediately if approved in any form. Guarantee it. I can hear the corruption allegations now. I feel like I need to shower after reading most articles on NCAA player compensation. The feeling is akin to seeing a photo of Dan Mullen. Gross.

• David1David1 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If amateur student athletes start getting paid this way, then one huge rule should be added. If they earn money while in college, they should have to remain ALL 4 years. Stop the declaring early.

• JoeFannJoeFann Posts: 170 ✭✭✭ Junior

Unrelated to the posts below, I'm just wondering. When folks buy a hallowed "34" Bulldog jersey, will Mr. Walker get paid? I would imagine that if they can start putting the names on the jerseys, the named player will be compensated. Will it work like a copyright or photoright for a certain period of time? Will it be something that can be passed on so that the kids or family of a deceased former player (think Paul Oliver) will get a continuing benefit? If the schools can't directly pay the athlete, are they "licensing" the schools' NIL to another legal entity that can pay the student-athlete, such as a sporting goods manufacturer, which can already replicate the jerseys and other apparel? They say the players can't use the school or conference logos, but if they can make money from twitter or other online postings, does that mean they can't wear a UGA sweatshirt as opposed to a jersey, like the rest of us can? One thing for sure, the lawyers are already making a ton of money off the creation of the legislation, and will make a whole lot more. It will also create some opportunities for new businesses, in addition to the players' businesses. Brave new world. Go Dawgs!

• kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The whole problem with this situation is this, there's too many mouths to feed. You got the university to pay for branding, player to pay name/image, even the names for fields(Dooley field) is out to be paid. And aint no telling who else. Thats why the NCAA did what they did. Players can be paid from 3rd party, but cannot advertise their university. So if a player comes to UGA, then signs a contract with Nike, but can only be paid for advertisements when they're not playing or wearing a UGA uniform. The NCAA pigeonholed this whole ordeal to cover themselves and put to rest the concept of "amateurism". So it is not farming for the NFL, this is a way for players to make extra money but cuts the university away. And also why this basically shutdown any kind of way for us to get our beloved EA NCAA game back. So kudos to NCAA for covering themselves, but in general, the whole situation stinks.