Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Project 11

Ugadawg1993Ugadawg1993 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Y’all don’t forget to tune in on ESPN tonight at 7:30 to watch it. It’s an E:60 on Alex Smith on when he broke his leg a year and a half ago and the tough comeback he is still trying to overcome today. I think it’s going to be awesome!

Comments

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks for the heads up.

The classic 1984 Orange Bowl, Miami vs. Nebraska, is on NBCSN at 12:30 a.m. if you want to set your DVR.

That documentary on Alex Smith was fantastic. Even if he never plays football again, I'm just thankful he survived. Seems like a really good guy. And wow, is his wife beautiful.

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Smith is a tough guy and I always liked watching him play but good lord that leg was nasty. He worked hard to get back to where he’s at now but I can’t see him ever playing football again

• razorachillesrazorachilles Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Recorded this game and the ‘87 Miami-Penn State national title game that was on right before it. Great stuff.

Screenshotted this during a text string with some friends...can you imagine if Joe Burrow had the epic season he just had, won the Heisman and every other individual award a player can win and put up THIS stat line in the Final vs Clemson?

Wow, that's something. I looked it up and Testaverde only had 4 INT for the entire regular season. So that bowl game must have felt like a nightmare.

Incredible coaching job by Paterno, running the table with that collection of players.

• razorachillesrazorachilles Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Uncomfortable to praise the defense given their DC at that time (Sandusky) but that defense was incredible. There was a good interview with QB Bob Shaffer after the game with Mike Tirico. His stat line in the national championship game?

5 for 16 for 53 yards, 0 TDs and 1 INT.

He finished his career at Penn State with just a single loss. Also interesting that he had a son and daughter both play lacrosse at Duke.

Found this (long) article on the game and the author's argument that it marked the beginning of the BCS era and not for the better - some pretty good nuggets on the contrast between Miami & PSU if you're looking to pass the time during quarantine: