Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

WATCH: QB transfer JT Daniels 'accurate, cerebral,' per USC beat writer Ryan Young

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited May 2020 in Article commenting

imageWATCH: QB transfer JT Daniels 'accurate, cerebral,' per USC beat writer Ryan Young

New Georgia QB commit JT Daniels is a fearless competitor known for his accuracy and pre-snap reads, but USC beat writer Ryan Young points out there is a weakness

Read the full story here

Comments

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Interesting about him not having the strongest arm. My assumption with him being labeled as 5 stars from HS would be that he had a cannon and if he needed to work on anything it was more of accuracy and such being that HS doesn't show off your abilities for brain-power and accuracy as much.

It seems crazy to think that he could show up at campus today and be ready to play by season opener.

• Ugagolf80Ugagolf80 Posts: 72 ✭✭✭ Junior

Not a great arm, accurate, cerebral, good decision maker. Who does that sound like? Maybe a recently departed QB? Jake Fromm 2.0.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Runs faster than Jake(or he could). Throws on the run better than Jake. A better arm than Jake. Watch his highlights especially in HS. Can throw it 50 yards on a line without much air under it when needed but most come falling down from the sky on a pillow for his receivers. He has really good touch. Not just a back-shoulder passer. Watch Joe Burrows, I can't remember him throwing a blistering type of pass. But it always seemed to get there on time.

Not saying he's going to be awesome or even the starter, or that he would have a better career than Jake. Don't know anything about his leadership skills either. Hard to match Jake in that department.

• Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited May 2020

I love Jake but I am glad he went to the NFL. Fromm 2.0 is not the right direction for our program. My hope is a mobile, athletic QB starts every game for our beloved Dawgs. I want to see Newman, Mathis or Beck starting. If Daniels starts I pray it is only for a couple games until the aforementioned three get their feet wet. Who's with me?

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I believe 5-star Daniels is three-years eligible. That is a large advantage. Newman is one. Then UGA starts over again..if he is the starter this year. Looks like UGA has an over abundance of QB potentials. D'Wan Mathis has been cleared for full contact. He has solid potential and is the tallest among the group. Carson Beck is also highly touted as a new signee. Then there is veteran Stetson Bennett and some others. Have to wait and see who best shows UGA promise under Monken's structured aerial attack....he will be looking for an RPO style QB...good on his feet and on the run with strength of arm and accuracy. Mobile. Daniels seems to fit nicely to this new scheme....I think D'Wan and Carson would as well. Both are versatile with strong arms. Interesting UGA decision to make.

Post script: Daniels is coming off a torn ACL and meniscus in his right knee in January 2019. That is a factor!

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So...all the Dawgs need is an athletic, dynamic, playmaker with his legs to become...Auburn. Give me an accurate passer with at least two receivers that know their routes, can adjust when needed, and can catch the **** ball...something that was totally missing in 2019!

edited May 2020

Hooch, I agree-outside of Cager, Pickens and Blaylock, we were lacking at receiver. Jake is indeed an excellent college QB, his QB rating was more of a reflection on the receiver room. However, when was the last time a team won a National Championship without a mobile QB? Why not desire to have an accurate passer that is also mobile? They are not hard to find any longer. We have three on the team right now!

BTW, Pickens never dropped a catchable pass thrown to him in 2019; in doing so, he was the highest rated offensive freshman player in the nation last year. The future at receiver is very bright for our Dawgs regardless of who is under center from our current roster!

Go Dawgs!

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The last time a non-mobile QB should have won a natty there was a defensive breakdown on 4th and 22.

Cager was a difference maker. All we have to do is look at Jake's QB rating with and without Lawrence in the line up. Pickens and Blaylock had some highlight moments but far too often they played like freshman receivers in the SEC. That's not a knock on the players because they were freshman receivers.

If we have three athletic QB's that are mobile, accurate passers and capable of leading us to a NC, then that's great and they are indeed easy to find. HOWEVER, to my knowledge, two of those have never taken a college snap, and one has only played against weak as water ACC defenses. I'm cautiously optimistic, but I'm not ready to declare any of them to be better than Jake much less the savior that will lead the team to a NC.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Crunch time in big games is when a mobile QB(a really talented one or a true dual threat) can take over the game. It has cost UGA big time UGA had that game against BAMA (NC game) in hand until a better more talented thrower with fresh legs took over, the rest is history. When we had Tua hemmed up behind the line of scrimmage for a seemingly sure sack and somehow, maybe by an act of God or the talent he blessed Tua with he miraculously escaped and made a play. At that point I thought(sure many others did too) what just happened and who is this magician? At that point in my gut I knew we were in trouble.

Then the last game against Bama with a hobbled Tua,(one dimensional) we had that game also, until the RB playing QB entered the game and makes big plays with his legs and more shockingly with his accuracy passing. We couldn't defend both. Game over. As great as Jake was his lack of mobility is the only thing that perhaps kept him from a NC and another SEC championship.

Joe Burrow when seemingly hemmed up against Trayvon Walker and another of our defensive guys twist and turns and jukes his way for a back breaking fist down. Jake doesn't make that play. But it seems to happen to us a lot.

It's not that you can't win with a one dimensional QB it's just harder(let's be real) when the game is close and the defense only has to key on one area.