Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Former UGA Players: Where Are They Now?

AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

On another thread, @JoelSidneyKelly posted a photo and brief update on former Georgia RB Richard Samuel, who graduated in 2011, finished his career in 2012, and went on to earn a masters degree in 2015. Today he is a realtor with Keller Williams in the Greater Atlanta area and seems to be doing well.

We frequently discuss players who have moved on to the professional ranks, but I thought it might be fun to have a thread dedicated to recognizing former dawgs living less public lives. Folks can post inquiries, provide updates, share memories, or whatever.

I'll get things started with a separate post below.

Comments

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

One more thing- I put these five updates together based on information available online. If any forum members have better or more up-to-date info feel free to correct the record!

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That is really interesting and good work!

Good stuff! Thank you for contributing. I have dozens I could do but I'm holding off and hoping others will post theirs, especially if there's a personal connection.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Greg Blue is coaching at Reinhardt College in Waleska. Included among his duties is special teams. He signed my neighbor to a kicking scholarship.

@Bankwalker

Here's a good article on Blue. (He was one of my all-time faves, by the way.)

\

edited June 2020

Anybody know what Fred Gibson (WR 2001-04) is up to now? This is a good AJC article but it's five years old. Is he still in the Atlanta area? Employed by Coca Cola? Working with WR's? Showing off his basketball skills at a local gym?

On a related note, Tavarres King (WR 2008-12) recently included Fred Gibson on his "Georgia football pick-up basketball starting 5" (courtesy of https://ugawire.usatoday.com) along with A.J. Green, Marlon Brown, Brandon Boykin (and himself).

According to LinkedIn, King now owns a CBD (cannabis oil) business. If you're into that sort of thing and want to support a former dawg, here's the web site:

• Dakota_NesterDakota_Nester Posts: 398 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Mohamed Massaquoi founded his own company called VESSOL, specialized in changes/transitions in companies

Cool! Thanks for that.

Here's the link, https://www.thevessol.com, and an excerpt from the site:

In the spring of 2017, Mohamed’s life changed following a near death ATV accident that resulted in the amputation of his left hand. Prior to that accident, Mohamed preformed under high pressure change daily as a professional athlete in the NFL. Mohamed was a 2009 second-round pick for the Cleveland Browns in the NFL draft and played professionally for 5 seasons. 

Mohamed is a graduate of the Harvard Business School after completing the Program for Leadership Development, which functions as their alternative executive MBA. He earned his bachelor’s degree in Psychology from the University of Georgia. While at the University of Georgia, Mohamed was named 2008 team captain, selected as a first-team All-Southeastern Conference and Academic All-SEC member. He is a member of the 2018 UGA 40 under 40 class. Mohamed currently serves on the University of Georgia alumni board. Mohamed worked at Morgan Stanley prior to founding VESSOL.

An accomplished speaker and thought leader, Mohamed regularly presents on change. Speaking topics include “Are You Prepared For Change”, “What’s The Big Difference: Changing To Number 1”, and “What’s Next: Identifying Which Change To Make”. 

Thank you Grady! I'm glad you're enjoying it. I hope others will as well.

• beanutputterbeanutputter Posts: 45 ✭✭✭ Junior

Enjoying this thread also. Awesome to see Massaquoi doing so well. I am a airline mechanic and probably 10 years ago I met Thomas Flowery at the airport installing advertisements on seat tray tables. He seemed to be involved with the company that was a broker for advertisement. Find the company that wants to advertise and the location to do said advertising. He stared a conversation with me because of my UGA hat and it was a good experience.

Also, Devon Gales who didn't play at UGA but is definitely a DGD is a Coach now at my daughters high School in Jefferson GA. So glad to see him doing well.

Wow that's great to hear about Gales. I recall former dawg Whit Marshall (LB, 1991-95) was directly involved with building him a customized home in Jefferson a couple of years ago. Such a tragic accident, and so many positive things that have come out of it. The Lord works in mysterious ways.

Here's Steve Hummer's AJC article regarding the home construction, for those who missed the story when it first came out.

Since I mentioned Whit Marshall, I'll go ahead and fill in the rest of the picture there.

Whit was a team captain and an All-SEC line backer during his playing days at UGA (1992-96). After graduating, he was taken in the 5th round of the NFL Draft by the Philadelphia Eagles and spent four years in the league, finishing up with the Atlanta Falcons in 1999.

Since 2007, Whit has served as a principal with Georgia Capital, LLC, an investment firm founded by his father Michael Marshall, who is a graduate of the University of Georgia (1966) and has also served on the UGA Foundation Board of Trustees.

According to the firm's web site, Whit currently resides in Atlanta with his wife Kacey and their four children.

Marshall (pictured above) during his final NFL season with the Atlanta Falcons.