Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

UGA quarterback room likely won’t stay ‘crowded’ very long

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited May 2020 in Article commenting

imageUGA quarterback room likely won’t stay ‘crowded’ very long

USC transfer JT Daniels joining the Dawgs may set off another QB chain reaction

Read the full story here

Comments

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bill, I wonder if JT needs more time to heal this upcoming season (because it’s only been 9 months since his ACL injury)......would he qualify for a medical redshirt and have 6 years to complete 4 years of eligibility. If that’s the case, then he’d technically have 4 years at UGa and could sit-out the upcoming season when he will likely not receive a waiver to play. That would be convenient. Go Dawgs!!!

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2020

I agree with you Bill. Thanks for the usual spot-on article. As soon as I heard about Daniels transferring, I knew we were bound to lose at least one - maybe even 2 - QBs to the transfer portal. Unfortunately, that portal didn't work out for us when it happened last time with Fields (I think Fields was the better overall QB for our future). And there is no way to know how ANY of these QBs really are going to perform under pressure, under a new OC, and in a game situation. Practice and scrimmages can only do so much to tell you how good these guys will be. I think Kirby may be forced to play 2 QBs this season until a leader emerges. Newman may have the experience, but is he worth putting all your eggs in that basket for just one season when you may lose another great QB like we did with Fields?

I think you have to look at more than just this season. We need to build a new offensive scheme with a QB that will be around for more than one year.

• BillKingBillKing Posts: 61 ✭✭ Sophomore

BubbaBill Daniels took a medical redshirt last year at USC, I believe.

• RollDogRollDog Posts: 38 ✭✭ Sophomore

Thanks Bill,

Conspicuously mentioned first was Mr Mathis and the possibility he might be gone. You dismissed D’wan in one sentence and gushed on about Carson and Vandergriff. Why are so many putting so much confidence in Mr Beck at this point and assuming the kid from Athens will be the starter if not Beck down the road?

I agree the room is crowded and likely to lose someone. I only hope the competition is open honest and fair; which I truly believe it will be with Kirby, but for all the outstanding work CKS has done we know and acknowledge his decisions at QB have not been his best work.

RollDog Where, pray tell, did I "gush" about Beck and Vandagriff? I can't find that anywhere above. I mentioned that Daniels, Beck and Vandagriff all were highly ranked recruits. That's not gushing; that's a fact. Also, I didn't dismiss Mathis. I simply noted that "unless Mathis wows the coaches in camp and moves into starting contention, you’ve got to wonder if he’ll stick around past this season." The point of the article is that the same statement applies to all the others, too. That's just the way it is now in college football. Georgia will be lucky to keep ANY of the scholarship QBs who lose out in the competition to the starting spot over the next two seasons.

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks Bill for your response. I looked up the rules around “medical redshirts” vs your “typical redshirt” rules. I think there is a real possibility that JT could qualify for a medical redshirt last season when he was injured in the first game. He may also qualify for a second redshirt this season as he continues to recover.....especially if he isn’t granted a waiver. It’s very confusing to say the least. Bottom line is he may qualify to have a 6 year window instead of 5 to complete 4 years of play. If that’s the case then he could sit out the upcoming season and still have 3 more years eligibility. With that said, I doubt seriously he will stick around that long if he’s as good as advertised. Thanks again and go Dawgs!!!

Sorry to hear of the death of Pat Dye. Although many younger Dawgs fans only know him as the former head football coach and athletic director at Auburn, Dye was a star during his college days for Wally Butts at UGA. For his accomplishments as both a player and coach, he has been inducted into both the Georgia (1987) and Alabama State Halls of Fame, College Football Hall of Fame (2005), and was inducted into the University of Georgia Circle of Honor in 2013. I always figured that even in his days running Auburn's athletic program that he still had mixed feelings deep down. Like the time he challenged Georgia to beat Alabama by saying he didn't think the Dawgs were "man enough." (He later admitted he was trying to help Georgia beat his employer's arch rival.) And I also recall the ceremony at Atlanta's Piedmont Park to mark the centennial of the first Georgia-Auburn game, where Dye actually recited that old saying, "I was Bulldog born and Bulldog bred, and when I die, I'll be Bulldog dead." RIP, Pat.

• ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 519 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think King is wrong. If Newman is here because we do not have an experienced legit starter THIS year, then what happens if run-happy Newman goes DOWN? UGA and us fans are screwed. The in Bill King's face answer he is missing is: UGA is back to square one and without an acceptable starter THIS SEASON! Not a chance at winning it all in a year when the defense should be a BEAST! Unacceptable to NOT HAVE, LITERALLY, A BACK-UP PLAN. And that in my not so humble opinion, is EXACTLY why Daniels is here. Back-up plan. Get slowly back in the game and as the season goes along, being prepped to step in. Got to have a backup that can come in and give you a good chance to win the big games. If your starter goes down but you still want to have a chance to win the big game! The BIGGEST games. That simple. It is about THIS YEAR.