Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

NCAA and the NFL Draft

ftn49ftn49 Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Interesting news regarding one player...

There are so many directions this could turn...

Does the NCAA let kids go through the draft process and then if the kid is unhappy with the results go back to school? Does it allow only for the undrafted? What about the drafted kids? I would think a drafted player allowed to go back to college would piss off the nfl, especially someone drafted in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th rounds which are generally players earmarked for an immediate spot in the 2 deep. Does it evolve to a NHL type situation where NHL teams routinely draft 17 year old kids and then hold onto their rights while they play in minor leagues/college until they are proficient enough to become part of the highest league? I could see some serious benefits to all parties in a system like that like the athlete having a market he can advertise for while he is in college since that is now allowable under NCAA rules while being in college. The NCAA may be able to hold onto guys a little longer since kids would be getting more serious compensation and it wouldn't be so pressing for kids to go to the nfl. The nfl benefits by having more polished and ready prospects by the time they join up.

Comments

• deutcshland_dawgdeutcshland_dawg Posts: 1,595 mod

I think it all comes down to if he hired an agent. Once a player hires an agent they are considered a professional athlete and lose the amateur status. I'm guessing he couldn't get an agent to pick him up and since no teams contacted him he never technically became a pro. However I do agree with you and now that the door is open and people know how to play the loophole this may become a bigger problem with roster management in the future.

• oddsbodkinoddsbodkin Posts: 176 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited June 2020

Cant kids just not hire an agent until after the draft? Then after the draft, kids can decide if they are going to forgo their eligibility or not

I hate strong-arming underclassmen into making a huge life altering decision about their future based on the NFL draft. Give them their full eligiblity years as long as they aren't drafted.

• ftn49ftn49 Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

They don't have to hire an agent at all, several players act as their own agents. However many agents pony up the funds for them to attend the elite camps to train for the draft and for spending money and things like that until they have their first paycheck.

• ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Imagine Trenton Thompson getting another year 😭

• ForestryDawgForestryDawg Posts: 29,205 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is the babiest of baby steps by the NCAA to allow easier transfer rules or true player compensation.

Imagine how tough it was on them to allow a special teams to go un-drafted and come back. /s

• PhineasGagePhineasGage Posts: 589 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yet more NCAA incompetance on display. Floodgates have been opened. Now every undrafted or late round player with eligibility remaining will apply for a waiver to return to college. Transfering to a marquee program with a top NIL marketing program could potentially provide more income than an late round/UDFA contract.

Graduate -> draft -> waiver -> open bidding for NIL contracts and transfer