Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Jake Fromm issues public apology on 'elite white people' comments

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited June 2020 in Article commenting

imageJake Fromm issues public apology on 'elite white people' comments

Georgia quarterback Jake Fromm issued a public apology for his comments that surfaced on Twitter on Thursday when it came to the purchasing of guns and how to, "just make them very expensive so only elite white people can get them." You can read Fromm's full statement below, as well as the original text thread that

Read the full story here

Comments

• Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited June 2020

I have no idea what Fromm was thinking with that comment. I hate that he made it, even if it was in a private message. Which begs the next question: Did Monty Rice or whomever he was texting with purposefully throw him under the bus? If he did, I don't know what is worse-the comment or the exposing of a private message between friends and once teammates!

Just saw the clip released on Fox News with Tucker Carlson which sheds some light on truth/facts: Per the Washington Post-in 2019 a total of 10, that's the same number of fingers most people have, TEN unarmed people of color were killed police in America. And, more white people were killed by the police in 2019 than people of color. Understanding anyone killed by the police is tragic and should be prosecuted if not in self-defense, I wish truth would prevail! There is literally going to be a protest less than two miles from my home today with estimates of 3 to 5K participants. We just had a power outage, businesses are closed and people are scared. I pray that no one else is hurt as result of the terrible actions of a few on that day in Minneapolis, other tragic incidents of the past as well the promulgated lies society is being fed by the liberal media.

Much love to ALL races because all lives matter!

• KBPKBP Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Dawg365,

It was a childhood female friend who Jake was having a private conversation with who posted the texts that happened in early 2019. Who in the world has never made an off color remark among their friends and family? This doesn't change how I view Jake. I never expected him nor any other human being to be 100% pure in their thoughts, actions, and deeds 100% of time. Now, if team mates and others who know him well start telling a different story about him, then I'll have reason to change my mind. Until then I hope Jakes succeeds as an NFL and Go Dawgs!

How many of those white people in that Fox News Clip were killed in the same manner as George Floyd, Breona Taylor, and Armaud Arbery? Were those cops who killed the white people charged with murder? Shouldn't Fox bring that out? What is this conservative media outlet promulgating?

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Fromm said this? ..I am stunned. I truly believe he regrets those word choices....not just words...from the heart. These are very trying times but there is no excuse for that highly offensive expression. Hopefully it was viewed out of context. Plus, it was a private message and should not have been leaked. Sad day.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great friend this gal is. LOL! Who needs enemies? Spoken by a 20 - 21 year old kid.? I'm white and I don't even know what the world he means? Is he dissing poor(er) whites, too? I guess he hates blacks and whites that aren't "elite." LOL! Looks like something he might have said in the wee hours of the morning after a grueling day when you're sort of half asleep that was just a dumb thing to say. But go ahead and crucify him and compare him to a late 30's grown man. LOL!

• 1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wasn't having a conversation with Monty Rice, a supposed long time female friend.

• fredfred1fredfred1 Posts: 4 ✭ Freshman

Racism will show it's **** head when you least expect it, Brees, Fromm who's next? You two have not only lost respect from me, you have also lost a fan.

• fredfred1fredfred1 Posts: 4 ✭ Freshman
    edited June 2020

I see some are worried about how it got out , because it was a private conversation. I'm asking why would he say anything like that to begin with.

As long as "true" feelings are hidden in private conversations, there will never be change. Recognition of a problem, Education, and a willingness from everyone to work together as a team, to find solutions to this ongoing problem, are just a few ways to start working on finding answers to this issue. Private or public, his choice of words were wrong.

That all she got? After years of friendship? that's the sum total of Jake's racism? LOL! He wouldn't make a very good racist. I was expecting something more than "elite white people." Close enough in our world today, I guess" Jake's so-called friend - " I remember this one time Jake said,"elite white people." And that was it? "yep." And you felt the need to crucify him for that? "Yep!" Way to go girl!

• ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 789 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

the internet is forever! Everything you search for, and everything you send passes through at least one server. Don't send it if you aren't prepared to defend it years later.

Fromm has had a rough year, his fall from grace has been steady . His saying something **** doesn't mean he is a racist, but it certainly raises the question if he's said this **** thing what else has he said or done?

• kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited June 2020

Fromm should not have said anything like this in the 1st place. This was a completely dumb and idiotic comment.

But this is where some people will not like what I say, racism is not gonna change overnight. No matter how many protests, no matter how many rallies. This will not go away any time soon. Until there is actual equality. I don't care if you're black, white, Hispanic, or Asian, there is racism between each race. Whether that is black on white, white on black, white on Hispanic, black on Asian, so on and so forth. There will need to be major major changes. There's animosity between races, and a bunch of it is because of finances and privileges. It's all the uppity rich folks, which Jake shed light on, is the actual problem.

• RedPantsDawgRedPantsDawg Posts: 174 ✭✭✭ Junior

So how long until we hear the Bills have released him? I don't condone or agree with what he said but there has to be some measured response to it. There are NFL players that beat women but still draw a paycheck. Jake said something offensive in a private discussion. Which deserves the greater punishment? Should the UGA football program now tell him he isn't welcome back on campus? Judging by the response of his teammates, they have turned on him. Will he be shunned when the 2017 team has their reunion in 2027?

We have lost all proportionality as a society when it comes to people's words vs actions. It is really scary for our society going forward. I've seen people on the web calling for punishing Jake's family and their business. We are pushing towards collective punishment which is the same thing North Korea does. An uncle says something bad about the dear leader and is turned in by a neighbor and the whole family gets fed to the dogs or shot by firing squad. People really need to think about that and what the consequences will be. I hope @ashleymp20 and people like her really think about the fire they are stoking.

• johnchappelljohnchappell Posts: 66 ✭✭✭ Junior

I remember when the first black players suited up for the Dawgs in 71. That in itself is a sad commentary. The white folks are happy when you sack the QB or score the winning TD, just don't expect them to be happy if you move in next door to them.

I am a 60 yr old white man. The death of George Floyd was one of the most brutal things I've ever seen in the sense of those cops seemed totally removed from his apparent pain and suffering, just another ho-um arrest they made it seemed , all the while by-standers pleading for George. I'm not ashamed to say I cried as I saw his lifeless body casually lifted onto that gurney, knowing full well that they killed that man. At that moment I seriously felt like that everyone, black, white, Democrat/Republican everyone in the whole nation was united against police brutality.

Then came the riots, the burnings, police killings all barely mentioned by the mainstream media, the attacks on innocent shop owners,etc...etc. People who are the worst of society destroying anything and everything with glee. Mainstream media portraying everything as "mostly peaceful protests." Poof! Now all the attention is off George Floyd and all that's left is something no one I know is going to get behind. All that good will and unity is being sabotaged by provocateurs. Antifa -Black LIves Matter "defund the police"- no thank you.

I saw one video of an ANTIFA germ make(demands) of a young white girl(maybe 25) get down on her knees and apologize to ANTIFA for her "white privilege" and told to say George Floyd's name. And she did it to show she was "woke". A truly disgusting power grab if I ever saw one. Can't even imagine what would of happened if it had been a young woman of color made to apologize for being black.

I don't see all of this ending well. I'm all for loving my fellow man but I'm not kissing someone's you know what to prove a point. Many of my white friends have stopped watching the NFL after the Kapernick deal. I can imagine many more will simply choose something different to watch on Sundays and drop season tickets and such. The NFL will continue to loose revenue for choosing to go down the political correctness path. These young men don't see that they are making enemies of people who aren't racist and love watching young black men play the game, but we love our country and aren't about to put up with this nonsensical idea that if you don't bow down and confess your sins of white privilege , "you're a racist", vitriol.

For many young black men a ticket to the NFL is they're only favorable chance at becoming wealthy. I wish them well. But I hope they're aware of their speech and how their attitude translates to those who in affect support them by supporting the League, buy their Jerseys, and cheer for them as they play. Anyone who knows Drew Brees or knows Jake From knows they are not racist. Not in the truest sense of the word.

Last year 48 or 49 police officers were gunned down on their jobs. I can think of no harder job than being a police officer where every day is a day you might not come home and you are dealing with by-in-large the worst of society and you cannot loose your cool for a single minute or else you can loose your job. Now with mayorships in these big cities where mayors are more interested in getting re-elected than in protecting the innocent, stopping rioting and arson and backing the police, who in their right mind would want their son or daughter becoming a policeman? For what? 40- 60 grand a year in most places?

Here's praying that we can all pull together peacefully, before we are all pulled apart by political wokeness.

• David1David1 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I want to know how many of you that commented below or anywhere else has made a derogatory comment about anyone at anytime in your lives? ALL lives matter. But the problem is that when comments like this comes out either months or years later, and the person tries to apologize, that person is attacked by being accused that their apology isn’t sincere. Good grief. Ok, these comments should not be said, but when does FORGIVENESS get to come into the situation? I also heard a comment made by a reporter on espn about the Clemson coach that repeated a derogatory term 3 years ago. His comments were that he didn’t know the coach and doesn’t care for him. Really? He’s not supporting ALL lives matter. And anyone that thinks Fromm is racist should go take a long hard look in the mirror, even his current and former teammates that are making their negative comments.

• EricDawgs1EricDawgs1 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

His friend put him out there. The fact is he's a closet racist and got exposed. This man made his name on the backs of his black skilled players who he really thinks he's better than. He's sry alright he's sry he got exposed. I was a Jake fan. Used to argue with the homies saying he was the man of Fields. He's a pos and like alot of UGA fans I've seen he's racist

• gafanlivinginalgafanlivinginal Posts: 62 ✭✭✭ Junior

This certainly doesn't fit with his public image and the comment is depolorable, but we are all sinners who would be in trouble if our innermost thoughts were exposed. That being said, this is small potatoes compared to the premeditated murder in Brunswick and the scumbag DA who refused to prosecute. That's the big story in the state of GA right now.