Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Race in America: One Georgia football family shares its view on that topic

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited June 2020 in Article commenting

imageRace in America: One Georgia football family shares its view on that topic

What does the family of one Georgia football player have to add to the discussion about race in America? John Woods, the father of Georgia WR Dominick Blaylock, shares his personal story.

Read the full story here

Comments

• johnchappelljohnchappell Posts: 66 ✭✭✭ Junior

Even this so-called enlightened white man doesn't get it.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kudos to the Woods for shaking up the Walton community a bit. John Woods is right - opportunity is one of the keys to thriving and making it in today's society. BUT, in addition to opportunity you must have the resources available in order to take advantage of those opportunities. SO many in the African American community don't have those resources compared with others.

Colin Kaepernick was SO right in what he did, and I hope the kneeling just continues for both college and pro football games. This movement needs to continue until real change happens.

The U.S. is the only modern nation that had slavery in its midst from the very beginning. As Condoleezza Rice wrote this week, " Our country has a birth defect. Africans and Europeans came to this country together – but one group was in chains. In time, the very Constitution that counted slaves as three-fifths of a man became a powerful tool in affording the descendants of slaves their basic rights. That work has been long and difficult, but it has made a difference. We are better than we were. " But, we're a long way from where we need to be.

• jrmdvm1jrmdvm1 Posts: 130 ✭✭✭ Junior

Here's a novel idea: During the National Anthem, stand proudly, at attention, with your hand over your heart. Then when it is finished, take a knee as the announcer asks the crowd for a moment of silence. Shows respect for our Country, Flag, and Military, and then calls attention to your cause. I can't imagine any high school or college or professional venue not going along with this for their players. Can't imagine any fan base having a problem with this. This will not alienate any from their cause, and may garner more support for that cause.

• BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This problem is so bad that people argue about which method of protest is acceptable.

• flemingislanddawgflemingislanddawg Posts: 581 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Loved the "Republicans hate Democrats" pretty sure there are Democrats who hate Republicans and a lot of hate the President has generated, is just the fact he won the job.

• rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm glad he's proud of all his sons and stands up for his principles. I do think he needs to open his mind to political realities. I am a Republican who has been "unfriended" by many of my democrat "friends" because of their politics. I have not "unfriended" any of them. I really think he needs to look closely at who "hates" who.

• AirmanEAirmanE Posts: 34 ✭✭ Sophomore

Its 2020 and the Air Force just admitted to widespread racism and unfairly punishing airmen of color. My father served in the Air Force and I was proud to follow in his footsteps. We both dealt with racial issues but admittance is the first step to solving our problems. I do feel that all this outrage towards kneeling for the anthem is unjustified. I’ve seen so many military members of all races run to avoid being caught outside during the anthem on base. Not to mention less than one percent of our entire population serves in the military. If you don’t have the courage to serve you have no right to question a peaceful protest on the basis of patriotism (especially if your a draft dodger).

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just do what the police say and nothing else. It's amazing how many people want to argue with police and do the opposite of what they tell you to do. Go to YOUTUBE and you can watch traffic stops all day of confrontations between police and people who are pulled over . Simply amazing how many times police have to say "Show me your hands" before some will. It's amazing how many times they have to shout "Get on the ground " before folks will. Not a job for the faint of heart.

One video I watched the other day with 3 black teens sitting on a curb and one has a BB pistol out that looks exactly like certain model Barretta. The officer who rolls up on them exercises extreme patience with the teens obviously not wanting to blow one of them away, the guy with the BB pistol does puts his gun down but then the boy next to him reaches into his pocket for his cell phone. LOL! I mean you can't make this stuff up. Luckily everything ended well. Kudos to the cop involved.

For every one bad apple there are thousands of good policemen. Lebron James should be ashamed of his incendiary remarks. "We’re literally hunted EVERYDAY/EVERYTIME we step foot outside the comfort of our homes! - Seriously Lebron? No one with half a brain believes that.

So I get a vote down by saying " Do what the police tell you to do?" And your response to that is"? Or you liked Lebron 's response. Which is it?

• tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Are we WOKE yet?

Did the funeral for officer Dorn(a black man) who was murdered by black teens get any play time on MNSBC or CNN? He was a model citizen. Do all Black LIves Matter or just the ones killed by white cops? Stop the black on black killings, that's what's scary and out of hand.

• BullDawg88888BullDawg88888 Posts: 29 ✭✭ Sophomore

Great article! Thanks for doing this. It was very insightful to get Mr. Woods' perspective.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ever heard of Chuck Carswell? John Woods wasn’t claiming to have made any change at Walton. He said he moved his kids there because it already had diversity. That’s what so many people do not understand about the Marietta area. Cobb Co was not a very black county when I was growing up, but there were always black athletes being given opportunities at Walton, Lassiter, Sprayberry, Wheeler, and Marietta High Schools in the 1980’s.

John Woods is a good man, and was also one of the most respectful and polite kids I knew growing up. He has long been a person of strong faith so I am not surprised to see he has held on to that in his life. I think the way this article was written leaves a lot of room for misinterpreting his views, which may be just fine with him. There wasn’t really a point to the article other than “white man with black kids has obvious and predictable insight and perspective” and that he taught his kids to respect authority figures. It’s great that he did so, but being financially secure did more to keep them out of trouble than anything.