Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

State of Mississippi Flag

Comments

• Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks.

Didn't say I felt like everything in the south was evil. I said that I felt like my specific demographic seems to be painted into a corner right now, lumped together, spoken of as a common group that did not have major differences within the larger sum.

Just a few things to scratch the surface of my perspective...

"We can't trust ____ because it is made up of a bunch of white guys..."

And I apologize for other lack of specifics. But I am basically referring to any idea(s) about the definition of foundational social constructs (marriage, sexuality, religious liberty vs. religious abuse, hiring freedoms and private business) that I tend to be aligned with which are being labeled "hate-speech" or the like, when (I feel) zero percent of my personal ideology is based on hate, exclusivism, segregation, or a lack of tolerance...

Now, I recognize the systematic racism that has lead to these "groups" is terrible/flawed/atrocious. It doesn't always mean the individuals in the group are evil. I think sometimes that is missed (or, at least, not spoken of enough). And just because some terrible people use/abuse this ideology to discriminate/hate/oppress others, it doesn't mean that everyone involved has similar motives/hearts.

There is a lot of systems that need to be fixed. There are a lot of good people in those flawed systems, willing to listen that would also bring a lot of good ideas to the discussion.

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Corporate media sucks and the death of local news will be the death of America

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Gannett News Media is the equivalent of MSNBC for print media. What you’ve provided is not valid supporting evidence.

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As does Social Media that drives a lot of hysteria and perpetuates misinformation or incomplete information.

I know a lot of good people who are evangelical, white, Southern Christians. I don't agree with all of their views, but that doesn't make them inherently bad. The evangelical White Christian group gets a lot of flak because it has turned into a reliable voting bloc (around the 60's maybe? Definitely by Reagan) for conservatives who have tried to enact policy based on religion which has rankled people who aren't white evangelical Christians. Gay marriage is a good example. A church and its members have every right to not recognize gay marriage as a legitimate Christian marriage and to deny holding gay weddings in their church. However, there was considerable push back from politicians backed by evangelical Christians to legalize gay marriage. At that point it stopped being about personal worship and more about codifying their religion. I do agree the animosity for the group shouldn't extend to the individuals. People need to talk and listen more

Wow. USAToday isn't good enough? Would you like an InfoWars article?

• UGA_2019UGA_2019 Posts: 157 ✭✭✭ Junior

Shameless plug for the media bias chart. Not the end-all, be-all by any means, but probably more info than our good friend is willing to look into.

https://www.adfontesmedia.com/interactive-media-bias-chart/

Huffington Post and CNN "Skew Left". LMAO! This chart isn't even remotely accurate.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kasey, you might not listen to Shawn King, but many do. Many hang to every single inflammatory word he preaches. And the many other "SK's" that are out there making a living from selling hate, fear, and division.

The cancel Yale thing is a joke. It's meant to mock the outrage professionals looking to destroy everything. A "see how dumb this is?" kind of thing.

Good post Cane. A lot, and I mean a LOT of people feel like that. You just don't hear much from them. Not yet anyways...

I heard a great comparison the other day. Remember when Ellen Degenerous (spelling?) caught all kinds of grief from just sitting with former president Bush at a football game? It was so bad she felt the need to go on her TV show and address it. Well... guess who didn't catch any grief for sitting with a married lesbian at a football game? Stark difference if you ask me.

I don't like what's been going on. A lot of bad intent is being placed on a lot of good people. I do not like much of this partly because I don't agree with a lot of it. But another reason is I fear what the blow back will be. It feels like the bear is getting poked a lot.

• dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,169 mod
    edited June 2020

Mississippi will not change the flag unless there is a vote by the people to change it, the change was already voted down several years ago. Me I live here but don't have a Dawg in that race, left the slot blank on the change when it was on the ballot, now some cities and counties have stopped flying the state flag, Gulfport just a few days ago but Biloxi has stopped flying it for several years. You can't change history but you can change symbols that some deem unacceptable or a word I don't really like "racist" because to me there is only 1 race and that is HUMAN. Unless Gov. Tate Reeves does something drastic the flag will remain until it can be put back on the ballot for the voters to decide.

Yep, they both skew left about as far as Fox skews right. And all three fall into the category of “reliable for news, but high in analysis/opinion content”. Aka, “these sources all have spin”. If you can’t tell the difference between a news article and an opinion piece hosted by a news outlet, that’s on you. Either way, their methodology is laid out on the same website if you’d like to analyze it. And if your methodology is better, please do spell it out for everyone to enjoy.

• allywallyw Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Look.... CNN and MSNBC actually call the POTUS a white supremacist, a racist, a nazi, and compare him to Hitler. On live TV. I have never seen Fox do anything remotely like that. Everybody on the left jumps and screams about Fox, but I never see any examples of how awful they are? I don't see the example of how they lied and slander to that degree. Yet I've seen countless examples from the CNN's. To compare the two as being two sides of the same coin is disingenuous at this point.

That OAN news is a better comparison to CNN. It's sad they both exist.

• CaliforniaDawgCaliforniaDawg Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Odin, while i agree all of us have something to gain by examining our own biases, i dont think you telling everyone off is the best way to achieve this goal.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This. CNN is pure hate and contempt. Not even trying to appear to be unbiased. Caught literally making up stories over and over and over yet for some reason people still watch it. Never seen a President, or any American citizen treated so terribly by a network. The things that come out of CNN commentators on a daily basis is disgusting. Pure TDS on a massive scale.

They've martyred him essentially. While I'm not one to think he can do no wrong, I certainly don't believe them when they tell me he can do no right.

I’d welcome a source showing any of the claims you made to be true. If there are countless examples, then I’m sure it wouldn’t be hard to show me one. Maybe you and pg can start a new thread on the topic, considering this one has already gone far off track. I’ll definitely read it and make a few posts.

I took Poly Sci at UGA, which is why I can look at the graphic and tell you in no uncertain terms that some of their placements on the grid are way off. I gave you two obvious examples. As @RxDawg accurately pointed out, there is no comparison in news coverage between CNN and Fox News.

FWIW, I use to work for CNN and have worked in the news business for years, so I know something about it.

This discussion has been closed.