Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Golf

Comments

• NOVADAWGNOVADAWG Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Nice thread!!

Kinloch Richmond VA

Berkley Hall [both courses] parents are members there.

Colleton River Dye Course Bluffton SC

Honorable mention:

Congressional

Burning Tree

• fmr33fmr33 Posts: 210 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Boss_DawgBoss_Dawg Posts: 87 ✭✭✭ Junior

My dad gave up golf when we were kids because of the time commitment of our sports schedules and his work. I have tried to pay him back by taking him to some of his dream courses. He still beats me.

Top 3:

Pebble Beach

East Lake

Spyglass Hill

When he did have some time he would get up about 5am and get in line at Bethpage Black since it was a public course. First come, first serve back in the day. Not sure how they do it now.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2020

Your comment about "close to the action" reminded me of one of my favorite golf experiences.

I had the good fortune to be invited to the Walker Cup at Sea Island (Ocean Forest) in 2001. In this event fans were allowed to walk down the fairways, during play, right alongside the golfers. There were no roped off areas, the crowd size was limited, and everyone knew how to observe proper etiquette. It was a unique and incredible experience to walk the course with the players.

We lost to the Brits that year, but I got to see some future greats up close before they turned pro, including Matt Kuchar, Lucas Glover, Luke Donald, and Graeme McDowell.

• TurkDawgTurkDawg Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Funniest golf moments:

1. My buddy Steve had an old driver with a loose head that he kept in his bag. One day during a friendly match he decided to hit it on the 10th tee for fun and the ball went in the water. He yells “I hate this club” and flings it into the lake!
    2. My dad hit a tee shot at Hard Labor Creek, scaring a flock of birds nesting in a tree. His ball went clean through one and it dropped dead in the fairway with a big hole in the middle. Reminded me of the Beverly Hillbillies shooting skeet with rifles and slingshot.
    3. I accidentally knocked my ball off the tee at address in a match and my smarta$$ opponent hollers “ONE!” I re-tee and state that on the tee box a ball may be re-teed without penalty. His partner seriously starts saying, “no, anytime you cause the ball to move it’s a penalty.” My partner Steve says nothing. I stop, walk over to my bag and produce a USGA rule book and read them the correct ruling, practically verbatim to what I’d said. Steve looks at our opponents and says, “you guys should know better than to get into s&1# like that with Doug!”
  • MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2020

Back in the 70's, I worked at a company owned gas station on the Illinois toll road. So it was kind of odd when me and my coworkers decided to go play golf before/after our shift one day. We all showed up in our work clothes and work boots to play golf. Call it blue collar golf. Too funny. And I was terrible. No understanding of the game. A total arm-swinger. I think I shot about 145.

Fast forward nearly 50 years. I play most of my golf in my back yard -- hitting my SW towards the woods. Highly lofted shots about 50-60 yards with almost no sideways shots. Thanks in part, to my last two lessons Nov 2018 and March 2020, that emphasized getting to your front side and wrist flexion in trail hand. And a drill to avoid going behind the line.

When I do get out, I play the Woodlands or the Chateau course next to Chateau Elan in Braselton, Ga. They have a par 3 too.

On a side note, what's with the golf coverage today? I was rooting for Justin Thomas. And right before he starts his comeback, hole#8 (?), they cut away to their network pre-game show. To resume at 1:00 pm on golf channel and 3:00 on CBS. Why? To watch a taped replay of the finish? It don't make any sense.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2020

Yes sir I guess that is what it was called. I don’t honestly remember, but I would caddy. One of my fathers friends got me on

• Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • crazygto715crazygto715 Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My personal list:

1. Lahinch
    2. Bethpage Black
    3. Ballybunion (both)

Honorable mention : Doonbeg

Am scheduled to play Cabot this year but not sure if ill get to with the border closed. I imagine it will at least fight for a top 3 spot but those are some real heavyweights imo.

there are a bunch of courses listed on the thread ive never played but certainly hope to.

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

In my twenties my buddy and I would go to the clubhouse at the break of dawn and walk two rounds every single day. By the time I was engaged (age 29) I had cut down to a couple of rounds a week and after I was married I was down to two or three rounds per month. My oldest daughter was born a couple of months after my 35th birthday and I stopped playing golf for two years. At 37 some of my old golfing buddies talked me into a weekend tourney and I shot a 78 and a 76 on a short (6800) but tight course and I thought, "Hey, I've still got it." Two weeks later I shot a 122 at the RTJ Senator (7600).

I go to the range every now and then but I haven't played a round in eleven years. I have erased St. Andrews from my bucket list.

• rwdennisrwdennis Posts: 29 ✭✭ Sophomore

@razorachilles - yeah, Bandon is a pain to get to but definitely worth it. When I went, we played Columbia Edgewater and both courses at Pumpkin Ridge in Portland, drove up to Seattle to play Chambers Bay, and then went down to Bandon for a few days. At the time, there were only 3 courses at the resort - would really like to go back now that they have Old MacDonald and Sheep Ranch. Honestly, though, you can almost go to Ireland or Scotland for what it costs to go to Bandon so probably should also factor that into the decision.

• DipDawgDipDawg Posts: 121 ✭✭✭ Junior

I just ordered this golf towel today. One of the more tragic endings of a golf tournament I’ve ever seen! 😂

• ugadawgs07ugadawgs07 Posts: 306 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Ocean point Fripp island, SC hole 9 right on the ocean.

Ocean point is also the only course I have played where deer are all the time walking across the green while putting. Can walk right up to them and pet them if your brave enough.

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Torrey Pines - South course

Royal Melbourne

Golf Club of Tenness

• TurkDawgTurkDawg Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ugadawgs07 @BoroDawg Didn't see deer when I played Ocean Pt in 2013, but did see THIS beast by the 13th tee. Normally a stickler for the rules, I asked my wife if I could take relief - she said, "I DON'T CARE WHAT THE RULES ARE, you are not hitting a tee shot from there!"

Since UGA was in the midst of a 3-year run over FLA, I should have given it the GATOR HATER update before moving on by!

• BoroDawgBoroDawg Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That is a monster! We had about a 6 footer walk across the fairway over at Ocean Creek once, but thankfully we've never encountered that guy at Ocean Point.

My sister-in-law worked at ocean point for a long time, so I’ve had the privilege of playing there a lot. There was one bigger then that guy ( could be the same one 7 years later). Google alligator at Fripp Island and you will see the one I am referencing.

• razorachillesrazorachilles Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That toddler can't believe that deer walked over his line! 🤣