Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

SEC pushes back start of fall sports schedule, football remains in limbo

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited July 2020 in Article commenting
imageSEC pushes back start of fall sports schedule, football remains in limbo

The SEC is pushing back the start of the fall sports calendar in an effort to ensure the safest possible environment for its student-athletes

Read the full story here

Comments

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We will not be having a Fall college football season. No way. There are too many variables and issues beyond coaches or any college administrator's control. Heck, if we can't come to a consensus that everyone buys in on and figure out how to control the virus among the general public (even though most other countries are doing just that for the most part) then we have no business trying to put college kids through our 'experiment' for the sake of revenue.

Ludicrous.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just looked at the CDC info and from what I gather there have been like 113 deaths in the age range of 0-24 year old. 113 out of over 100,00 + who have died. It can happen, but these kids are not at a serious risk. They are much more likely to die in a car wreck than by COVID19 but no one is taking away their keys.

• SAVYSAVY Posts: 259 ✭✭✭ Junior

You are absolutely right. This season is doomed and we are dying a slow death from a thousand cuts. There’s just no way the season will actually happen. Please just put us all out of our misery so we can plan something else. And I wouldn’t trust any school to have honest reporting about their players. What if your starting QB tests positive the day before the big game. They will find a way to cover it up, while they put everyone else at risk.

• SAVYSAVY Posts: 259 ✭✭✭ Junior

But you didn’t mention them spreading to someone who could be at risk. What about that? Everyone wants to change the rules when their revenue is at risk.

• Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited July 2020

These young men are more likely to get the virus AND spread it if they are not concerned about maintaining their health so that they can play football. Think about it. YOU KNOW I SPEAK THE TRUTH!

I too have lost all faith in our having a season when the commissioner says "the current circumstances of Covid-19 must improve..." That's not happening! Just pull the plug already. The commissioner must just enjoy the publicity and being relevant or he would have already finalized this issue.

• RealityBasedDawgFanRealityBasedDawgFan Posts: 198 ✭✭✭ Junior

When half your fanbase doesn't even believe in the containment protocols and science (i.e. wearing a darn mask in public), you have to wonder how many of those athletes feel the same. A divided country is melting us from the inside, we should have seen it coming when they cancelled March Madness. Oh well, time to start making the rules about eligibility for next season.

• 97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

OK, here's the story we need to see. All the financials should be public records.

Does the UGA athletic department have the revenue to survive a year without football income? How about the other SEC schools? Also, might it make a difference financially if all the coaches who are making the biggest salaries take temporary pay cuts? Or is that cost not a big deal in the grand scheme of things (construction contracts, facility costs, etc. might be bigger budget items).

The programs obviously want the revenue, but if it is not an existential issue, then it's much more likely that the season will be cancelled.

This in no way addresses the morality issue of putting people at risk, but economics are driving the decision, anyway.

These young men (if they play) will be tested every few days. They will know if and when they have it as opposed to not playing football and still probably getting it and going to see their grand parents or their Auntie and having it. In other words if they play, they will know if and when they get it and they will be less likely to spread it unless they do so "knowingly." Keeping these young men and all students regardless of grade in school is what they need. Acting like it's the end of civilization is drama.

If any on here are freaked out about getting it, shelter in place, don't let anyone in, don't go out to buy groceries, get gas, or go to a restaurant, ever! Stay safe!

• rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This is from The Mercury News (Bay Area, California, June 22, 2020) - "The study found a person in a typical medium to large U.S. county who has a single random contact with another person has, on average, a 1 in 3,836 chance of being infected without social distancing, hand-washing or mask-wearing." Further comment from same article - "The study found a 50-to-64-year-old person who has a single random contact has, on average, a 1 in 852,000 chance of being hospitalized or a 1 in 19.1 million chance of dying based on rates as of the last week of May."

For a risk comparison that same article stated: "A 2017 report from the National Safety Council calculated the odds of a person dying in a motor vehicle crash at 1-in-114 and dying from a lightning strike at 1-in-161,856."

Based upon this information, why aren't our government officials banning automobiles and demanding we stay indoors when lightning is probable? We are all at risk from the moment of conception until we draw our last breath - and all of us WILL draw a last breath.

Lou Holtz doesn't believe they will play, but he believes they should. But the college regulations concerning COVID would make it impossible. If a player test positive whoever he has talked to(say 15 fellow players) they have to go into quarantine. (I didn't know that). He says in the NFL if a player test positive they give the people he has had close contact with the test and if they test negative they can play.

In the 2018 flu season 80,000 Americans died from the flu. Was anything closed down? I don't remember seeing nightly news every night giving the death updates. COVID is real, not saying it isn't. If you have any major health problems or are older you need to exercise precautions. But there is a whole lot of fear mongering taking place. Ask yourself why? Who gains by doing so?

Is there any harm to our kids if they don't go back to school? Doctors say yes. But besides that they will go somewhere if mom and dad or whoever have to go to work. They will go to daycare( an extra financial burden), or to the lady down the street who keeps kids in her home with other kids in close quarters(yikes), or they will in some cases stay home by themselves unmonitored(not healthy).

Teens and college kids are still going to congregate(play back yard ball, gather at friends homes and play video game all day, have parties, go to restaurants, etc. You know I'm right.

If stopping school attendance meant the same as stopping the spread, I'm all in. But it doesn't. It just changes the problems.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

reddawg1...

First, you're trying to compare apples and oranges. The flu has been around for decades, and we HAVE a vaccine for it. We understand the flu so well that the vaccine changes every year based on what strain is anticipated. I get the vaccine every year and haven't gotten the flu in many years.

Second, we've blown by 80,000 deaths in the U.S. in a matter of 3 months!

Having any school reopen fully and having students come back risks not only the students BUT the OLDER faculty. In regards to football, it's not just the student athletes but the OLDER coaching and ancillary staff that are at the highest risk. Sure, they get paid, but the risk doesn't really add up as being worth it honestly for either group. Not to mention all the starts, stops, quarantines, and disruption that is bound to happen during the season for most teams. I think we're just delaying the inevitable...

My point was no one bats an eye at the flu, if 80k die. It's old news. They can't hammer the opposition with it.

No doubt we will have COVID with us for the foreseeable future. Maybe we develop a treatment to lesson the severity. We can hope. I heard a top virologist say yesterday that the very earliest(despite what Trump says) we could possibly have an effective vaccine is next summer, if then. Let's say even with a vaccine next summer it mutates(it already has) as the flu does and still kills say 75-100k a year, as in a bad flu year. What then? Keep schools closed indefinitely? Kids will suffer one way or the other.

If your goal is to protect as many people as possible for as long as possible then you won't play football or attend school perhaps ever again. I've heard some of the worlds leading people who study these things say that you cannot stop it, it's just a matter of time before it sweeps through everywhere and everyone. I hope they are wrong. In the mean time you are asking these kids to put their lives on hold indefinitely so that someone they know and come in contact may or may not have a bad case of it. That's a lot of hypotheticals for young men that age. There may or may not be a treatment sometime next year, you may or may possibly still acquire it even if there is a vaccine and you still might pass it on. If that is the case, no school or football next year either. **** it up young men.

40 % of cases are asymptomatic. If that is the case, even if they had it they wouldn't know it and therefore might not take the needed precautions and still could pass it on to teacher, coaches and grand parents.

No easy answers. Asking a lot though for young adults to give up on their dreams so you or me or grandma might not get it.