Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Cautionary Tale

Chadicus89Chadicus89 Posts: 52 ✭✭✭ Junior

Apologies if there have been similar posts, but the Miami Marlins are the reason I don't believe we will have a college football season. They had four players test positive a couple days ago with another 8 (plus 2 coaches) today leading to their home opener being cancelled. If protocol is actually to be followed, every player who came in contact with those individuals (on both teams) should also go into isolation. I believe the MLB season is already at risk less than a week in due to players and coaches not being in a bubble (which has its own risks). The fact that Baseball decided to still travel between cities so teams can play in their own ball parks opens the players up to the possibility of exposure. It doesn't matter how "careful" you are, the virus doesn't care.

That's with only a 30 man roster of professional athletes...not 85 scholarship athletes (young, immature students) + walk-ons and staff. I don't foresee a safe way to have a season this fall at this rate.

Comments

• law_dawg35law_dawg35 Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Players and coaches will be exposed to the virus weather they are playing ball or not. We knew there would be posotive cases.

• Mia_Dade06Mia_Dade06 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Except these players and coaches can’t play/coach with a positive case, we also knew this would happen. None of it makes sense.

• dgd829dgd829 Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The English Premier League (pro soccer)

was able to have a 10 game season traveling all over the country. They contemplated neutral sites but ultimately decided against it.

it can work. I just think baseball needs to take a pause for 2 weeks and then start back up.

reexamine protocols

This the MLB we are talking about. The laughing stock of professional sports leagues. Kinda like the PAC-12 of the P5

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If we are going to continue to test people who are not symptomatic, then tell them they are positive even though they don't feel sick, then put them in quarantine for 14 days...as well as anyone they have been in contact with, I assure you there will be no sports at any level. Stand by for teams fudging their test results to hide positives so key players aren't quarantined.

• Stingray2112Stingray2112 Posts: 132 ✭✭✭ Junior

Obviously playing ball increases the chances exponentially. I mean, everybody can catch it. It's just do you put people in a situation where you know they are very likely to catch it?

• KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What is going to be different two weeks from now though?

NBA with their strict bubble might work but MLB didn't want to do that I guess. I hope they play but its a bit tenuous right now.

• dgd829dgd829 Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

a pause in the season so scheduling is not impacted.

it allows all players affected to quarantine and get past the virus.

It also allows MLB to evaluate their protocols and make the appropriate changes.

Look outside the US.

Life is getting back to normal in places where they **** it up and embraced the lock-down.

No more masks, ability to attend sporting events.

The world has essentially locked out the United States.

We have yet to get to 30% of the commitment level that the rest of the world has.

It all starts up top.

If your leader is only there to praise themselves and divide the team, then you aren't gonna be very successful.

JUST WEAR A MASK!!!

We still have a chance to get this turned around before football season is lost!

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There’s a very good chance every MLB player could get it without much effect. If they want to completely shutdown their empire over a disease that has killed 992 Americans between the age of 25-34, (about 200 a month since March) of which right around 65 were believed to be healthy and virtually none of those saw a doctor until advanced illness, well...I believe Ron White said it best.

Two weeks won’t do anything. That’s just a number being randomly thrown around without any basis. If it only required two weeks then Israel wouldn’t be experiencing a spike. They were down to 5 identified cases a day. Subclinical persistence is not understood.

The statement above about lockdowns is incorrect. Check out parts of Europe. Now they are starting to see another small rise. Will it lead to a bunch? Oh, and guess what? They are wearing masks...