Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

ACC announces official changes to 2020 football schedule, canceling 1 Georgia football games

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited July 2020 in Article commenting
imageACC announces official changes to 2020 football schedule, canceling 1 Georgia football games

On Wednesday it was announced that the ACC would be moving to a 10-game plus one conference schedule model, meaning the league will play 10 conference games and one non-conference game as a part of it's 2020 schedule. With only one non-conference game, that one of Georgia's two non-conference games against ACC

Read the full story here

Comments

• DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Drop tech and play Virginia

• VenomGAVenomGA Posts: 336 ✭✭✭ Junior

I hope this screws Notre Dame since they are not part of the ACC in football.

• VenomGAVenomGA Posts: 336 ✭✭✭ Junior

Except because UGA is NOT going to travel to VA to play per the new ACC stipulation. Whereas, GA is an instate school to Tech so traveling there is no issue.

• Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What if an ACC team goes undefeated, will they participate in the playoffs? Or are they simply playing for a conference championship?

• dogs_n_bravesdogs_n_braves Posts: 121 ✭✭✭ Junior

Perfect time for a GA state championship - get Kennesaw, Ga State, GA Tech, and GA So on the schedule!

• AlysiadawgAlysiadawg Posts: 63 ✭✭ Sophomore

I can understand to a certain point. But doesn’t the acc need to travel to ga to play tech? Also if I was the acc, I wouldn’t give Notre dame the benefit of the doubt. Play with for always or not. What if Notre dame wins the acc? Uh oh! Does Clemson start a complaint? They know the wins and losses start with ga because va would not win that game. Power index would prevent them with two teams in playoff.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2020

Super easy to make this decision....much much tougher for the Power 5 governing bodies to make a the HARD decision IF football will be played at all this Fall and HOW it will be conducted. The NCAA has given the Power 5 its 'blessing' but that is nothing more than wiping your hands of responsibility and saying, "It's all yours boys...good luck"...

For the 4th or 5th time, it looks like the decision can will be kicked down the road and until next week at the earliest...probably just hoping that cases might dip (even though deaths are on the rise), so they have an excuse to say " Play Ball"! And we haven't even started practice or scrimmages yet. Egads.

So many factors beyond anyone's control and so much health and safety being sidelined for the sake of revenue. Pathetic. All for a season and potential 'Championship' that really cannot even be counted as valid.

*******************NEWS FLASH***********************

As I was typing this....Sankey officially kicks the can down the road...." Sankey issued the following statement shortly after the ACC announced it’s 11-game schedule, which included 10 conference games plus one non-conference game:

“It is not appropriate to respond to anonymous sources and speculation. We continue to our discussions focused on the return of fall sports, including football. We will announced any decisions at the appropriate time.”

OMG. They've had months and months to plan for this COVID season and still don't have the balls to make a decision.

• Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2020

If we have to, why not EVERYONE move the start of the season to mid September, or October 1st? Surely by then we will have a better grasp of the situation. I'd like to have some college football, but I don't want guys getting sick. How screwed up would it be to go into the Bama game with several key players out due to the virus, that couldn't travel, and Bama be healthy and roaring to go?

This has been one screwed up year with all the craziness going on! Was hoping to get a little happiness back with some college football, but I do not want to see guys getting sick. i wouldn't even wish that on them hated Gainesville Goobers! Not even Dan Malarkey. :P

Whatever!

GO DAWGS!!

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2020

Putting aside the moral questions of having a college football season, the longer this goes on and the worse the situation gets, the harder it becomes to envision a program winning a championship that anyone outside of that program/fanbase will even acknowledge. It's gotten to the point where it's hard to see it as anything but a pipe dream. How many teams are going to have chunks of their coaching and player rosters missing for chunks of - if not the entire - season due to positive test results? And if/when it happens during the playoff? What would even be the point in proceeding? And that's not even considering those who will pre-emptively opt out. I'm sure it'll all proceed anyway. Just feels like it's all building toward a "so was it worth it?" moment.

• AlysiadawgAlysiadawg Posts: 63 ✭✭ Sophomore

I agree. Players safety is the key. As much as I love college football, we cannot and should not put kids lives in jeopardy for a game. I know this not just a game to some people, but that what it is. But, the other problem is money. Most universities rely on the money from cfb. Will scholars lose scholarships because of this? I am sure of it.