Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Donald Trump, Big Ten revolt and Herschel Walker: What social media is saying after wild day in coll

SystemSystem Posts: 10,483 admin
edited August 2020 in Article commenting
imageDonald Trump, Big Ten revolt and Herschel Walker: What social media is saying after wild day in college football

Given the events of the weekend, Monday figured to be a very interesting day in the land of college football. And it didn't disappoint. Between politicians lobbying with players for the right to play, head coaches weighing in and an update of sorts from SEC commissioner Greg Sankey, there was a ton of both news and

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Folks, if this disease is already causing Myocarditis in some players when we haven't even really started practice and scrimmages yet....

Seriously, what the heck are we doing thinking about playing football this Fall? People have blinders on - including many of the players who think mistakenly they are invincible...

CANCEL THE SEASON AND DO THE RIGHT THING!!!

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Because only corona virus can cause myocarditis right?

not high levels of activities in heat while weighing large amounts and eating large amounts of calories. Nooooooo, only corona causes It.

i agree with Herschel. Let’s go eat politics out of this and get a reason to cheer. We’ve had too much political garbage and political opinions dumped over us and divided us Over the past 6 months.

lets unite and cheer for something.

heck, even the kids want to play.

Go dawgs!

• Options
    chillinnchillinn Posts: 20 ✭ Freshman

I agree with what Saban said today, " We're (acting) like these guys can only get it by playing football." Players are safer on campus with Covid protocals than they would at home. No matter what you do, some of these players will get the virus. Most will be asymptomatic. A few will be sick 3-5 days. There's no way they won't develop herd immunity. Life, including football, must go on.

• Options
    zonadawg61zonadawg61 Posts: 415 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I agree that players at each institution are safer in the "bubble". Especially being tested 3x per week. My question is this...if college football players can get access to testing like that, why is it so hard for ordinary people to have the same? Is it status? Money? Because let's face it, if College Football tanks, big bucks are lost. Don't get me wrong, I'm hanging on every report hoping we have a season. But something seems out of whack. Crazy times for sure. BUT, let's all help our neighbors and be responsible citizens and maybe this will be over sooner rather than later. I live in AZ, where 3 weeks ago we were on an upward trajectory with 4-5 thousand cases per day. Today...815. So keep doing the right thing and anything is possible.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm going to keep on saying this. How can you cancel football and keep students on campus? It's "dangerous" to have a few hundreds students on a field for a few hours, but 100% safe to have tens of thousands being together all the time???

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Football is a "risky" game. Try as you may kids are going to fracture bones, and get concussions which could have lasting affects. Sadly, some kids,be it high school or college, are going to die from heat-****. Kids get in car accidents from driving. No one wants to stop driving cars although it would save more kid's lives in 1 year than Covid 19 will take out of the total US population. Hospitals literally kill people by the thousands collectively every year that wouldn't have died if they hadn't gone in for some procedure(staff infections and wrong medications administered). No one is looking to shut down hospitals. As imperfect as they are, we need them.

You are always going to hear the horror stories in the news like the random shark attack and now no one wants to venture into the ocean. It happens but it shouldn't be cause enough to not swim. It is hysteria. We have come to be a nation that wants every uncertainty removed from life and what you are left with is a life not worth living.

• Options

@tybeedawg

Your backwoods ignorance is showing...

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The Good Lord gave all of us brains, some choose not to use them, some aren't capable of using them; the rest of us are capable of making our decisions and taking responsibility for ourselves. This Covid virus is another bullet we have to dodge, or ultimately deal with, like cancer, heart disease, drunk drivers, and so many other things in life.

I know quite a few people who have had the virus, playing golf yesterday ran into a guy who had had it, his symptoms were having a headache for two days. Another fellow we hunt with was in the hospital for two weeks.

I'm personally sick and tired of the Government and other entities thinking they know what's best for us, for most of us we have allowed ourselves to become political pawns. How much longer can our Country exist on the path we're on, this Dawg finds it all depressing.

I choose to continue living a normal life and will accept the consequences of my decisions.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If you were actually applying the brain God gave you, you'd understand that it's never really been a matter of accepting isolated consequences to one's individual life. The reason all these measures are put in place is that we're dealing with a highly infectious agent that is spread asymptomatically. And when it's contracted, it's been known to result in death, hospitalization and, as more information emerges, other significant long-term health effects.

Yes, it's true that most people who are infected will get over it with relative ease. But that's what makes the virus so insidious - that people can spread it without realizing it. The larger the portion of society that adopts this "screw you I'll do what I want" mentality, the larger the number of people around us who will be subjected to the aforementioned consequences because those around them couldn't be bothered to mitigate the spread. At its core, this situation is about our ability and - sadly enough to say - willingness to look out for each other.

There's room for a reasonable debate on the pros and cons of having a football season, and I'm not necessarily advocating for its cancelation. But to act like this pandemic isn't a big deal is just plain wrong.

• Options

E_Roc, I take offense to your insulting statement of my position. I have a sound understanding of Covid -19, how it's spread, and what it's capable of. As I have said before, and as others have said, we shouldn't stop living, working, getting an education, protecting our freedom, enjoying all the wonderful things our "still free" society provides. All these things are under assault at this time in our nation. Have a good day.

• Options

Too many postings on this article that are simply ignorant. People, this is NOT simply about whether you or any player wants to play or not. This is about community spread. This is not just about an individual. You may feel you have the right to get this virus and deal with it like so many other things in life. Last I checked no one could 'give' me cancer or anything else folks have mentioned in this thread. Well, guess what - you DO NOT have the right to spread it to others. Good gosh, people. WAKE THE F* ** UP!!!

Everyone who has blinders on to COVID needs to stop being so selfish and realize that this is more than just about yourself - this is about protecting others and you have no right to TREAD ON ME with your BS selfishness.

• Options

I simply addressed the comments that you made. From your downplaying of the virus' effects (focusing on the minor cases as though that's what your assessment is based on), to your politization of the scientific/medical guidance and those who take it seriously ("political pawns"), to your insinuation that you're not going to abide any precautionary measures (insisting on living a "normal life") to your ultimate framing of all of it as a simple matter of personal choice affecting only each individual to the extent that they're willing to risk being affected, you gave me every reason to believe you're unwilling to acknowledge the seriousness of the situation. I merely responded accordingly.

If that's not the case, then you should have put more thought into your comments - especially if you're going to start them off by questioning the intelligence of others. If you're offended, that's on you.

• Options

I need to make a correction to my previous comment. MobileDawg did reference a hospitalization, so my comment about only focusing on the minor cases shouldn't have been included. I tried to remove it but the edit button isn't working.

Nevertheless, the stance that the situation is simply a matter of personal choice/freedom is faulty, and still applies as a larger issue here.

• Options

Thank you for your correction. That doesn't dismiss the fact that "you" have judged my application of "my" brain based on your perception and your interpretation of the facts that you agree with in this situation. I was professional enough not to impose "my" opinion on a specific person. No harm, no foul, just a discussion. It could go on a while longer as I still have other points to make but don't have the time. I have work to do.

• Options

Wait, so you introduce the whole notion of questioning the intelligence of those who would handle this situation differently than you'd like to, then take offense when I turn it around on you? Hm, ok.

Well, looks like we're both finding moments to steal away from our respective responsibilities, lamenting the lack of time in a day. Back to it for me, as well.

• Options
    DawgOnDawgOn Posts: 265 ✭✭✭ Junior

Today, I watched a reporter tell of old drug used to treat patients having parasites. The drug is an antiparisitic called ivermectin. According to the results of various trials, some are calling it a miracle cure, it has worked so well. It has few adverse effects.

It is both safe, and very inexpensive, unlike drugs designed to treat covid, for they wouldn't have generic equivalencies, as does ivermectin.

After seeing DAWG fans snipe at each other due to covid, perhaps this is the needed remedy that allows us to return to normalcy. I pray it is.

• Options

Thanks, DawgOn. At this point, even the possibility of positive news is a sight for sore eyes.