Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Greg Sankey issues statement, Urban Meyer says 'No chance' of spring football season

SystemSystem Posts: 10,410 admin
edited August 2020 in Article commenting
imageGreg Sankey issues statement, Urban Meyer says 'No chance' of spring football season

Spring football became the buzz phrase in the aftermath of the Big Ten and Pac-12 cancelling their fall football seasons on Tuesday

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My bet is this 'my way or the highway' attitude by Sankey and the other (2) conferences withers on the vine...talk to me in a few weeks.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Urban,

If we all play in the Spring then no team will have to play 2 seasons. Good grief!!! Go Dawgs!!!

• Options

Also, I want to attend games and it ain’t happening this Fall.

• Options

And one last point, no team in America will benefit more than UGfrom playing in the Spring because we have a totally new offense with new coaches, game plans, QBs, etc........and we didn’t have a Spring practice. Go Dawgs and with a little luck we will also see Fields and Lawrence refuse to play due to the NFL draft. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    DawgOnDawgOn Posts: 265 ✭✭✭ Junior

Who cares what SubUrban Meyer says? Not I. Hope we play, if not (sigh), there is next year. Meanwhile, graduate transfers, as well as some entering the transfer portal, might not get a chance to perhaps change their fortunes with a single good season, as did Joe Burrow. GO DAWGS!

• Options
    chillinnchillinn Posts: 20 ✭ Freshman

BubbaBill, what in the world are you talking about? If they all play in the spring, they all play twice in a year!

• Options
    BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

I been thinking a lot about this season...rational thinking...How many are they talking about letting into the stadium? 18 to 30K...How many on the bridge? 10-20K? Of the potential 50K at the stadium....How many catch this? How many carry this home and spread it to parent/grandparents? When we look at this, the question is: How many lives are we willing to sacrifice to have college football this year? To start playing football next month literally equates to murder.......I'll be willing to bet that the people who disagree with this are not planning to go to any games this year

• Options

@Chilinn,

I understand your response, but Urban’s concern is malarkey. Don’t forget, it would be an abbreviated season with a max of 10 games. Right now the players play a minimum of 12 games followed by playoffs and bowl games. Then just a few months later they start Spring practice. I’ve never understood why Division I football is the ONLY division in any sport that doesn’t have an extensive playoff. I’m sure bowl games have some influence, but they could be part of the playoff process. All sports at all levels have extensive playoffs. Even in high school the playoffs can extend the season 5 weeks if you make it to the finals. All other college football conferences have extensive playoffs, but not Division I. I love the argument by the “Power 5” college presidents that it would be too physically demanding on the players because Division I is big boy football. If that’s the case, then why does the NFL play 5-6 preseason games, followed by 16 regular season games, followed by 3-4 weeks of playoffs. So, the bottom line is the players CAN and would WANT to play in the Spring if Fall is cancelled. Also, don’t forget that many of the starters in the Spring will graduate and won’t see the field the following Fall. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    dawgfan623dawgfan623 Posts: 110 ✭✭✭ Junior

If your scared stay home, but don't tell me how I have to live my life.

• Options
    dawgfan623dawgfan623 Posts: 110 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options

The question remains: How many deaths do you think is acceptable to play college football?

BTW I do tell you how to live your life when it comes to the lives of others.....Do you think you should have the freedom to drink and drive?

• Options
    natejawsnatejaws Posts: 162 ✭✭✭ Junior

So if you want live your life naked in public, should you be able to do that? If you want to shoot heroin and smoke crack in public, should you be able to do that? Absolutely not. You are told how to live your life when you're interacting with other humans. What you do in your house is your business but out in public is unfortunately all of our business. I'm not personally afraid, but I respect someone else being able to leave their house if they have a preexisting condition. I can put on a mask and having large crowds is asinine at best. Watch it on TV and mitigate the spread until we know more about the virus.

• Options
    WildmanSlayerWildmanSlayer Posts: 88 ✭✭✭ Junior

From what I understand they are going to have School, but not football, what is the difference from spreading the virus at school, or at a football game? At a football game you are outside, and in school you are enclosed in a building, how can you say you are worried about student-athletes health, but are going to allow college students to be in confined buildings? Something just does not add up about this decision.

• Options

BoulderDawg, You can tell someone how to live their life, but that does not mean they will listen to you, and you do have a right to drink & drive, but there are consequences, you cannot take away a persons free will.

• Options

Using that logic, someone has the right to kill your entire family.....exploring that craziness more, they do have the free will to do this...and no....no one has the "right" to drink and drive

• Options

BoulderDawg, I didn't say it was the right decision to drink & drive, but that is what free will is about, making choices, I can choose to believe in God or not believe, with your logic you would be the one telling me how to believe, there are laws for drinking & driving, just like murder, but in the end its the individual that decides, right or wrong, people who tell people how to live are dictators.

• Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,041 mod
  • Options

You sound like one of these guys that would pull a gun on someone at a local store for demanding that they wear a mask...but that is not the question here....The question is "What would you consider the acceptable number of deaths that would have to happen before the college football season is called off?"

• Options

And you said you could tell people what to do with their lives, how are you going to enforce your will on others? And how would you know they caught the virus at the game, and how long are you willing to wait for a cure, they still don't have a cure for the flu, just a vaccine, and you can still get the flu, even after taking the flu vaccine. how many people are carriers of the flu virus? you could have the flu virus, and carry it in to a football game. We could go on, and on, but I'm not going to change your mind, and your not changing mine, but go luck with that telling people how to live their lives.

• Options
    EricDawgs1EricDawgs1 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Basically this virus has shown had selfish America is. How are we supposed to be the best country in the world but we're the only country still having big issues with this virus? Everybody else **** down and wore masks and now are on their way back to normal.