Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Shooters

JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Any shooters out there? I go through spurts where I purchase whatever and then clean up the safe on guns I don’t use. Even had a reloading spell for a brief moment

Always been a big Colt, S&W, (mainly old revolvers) and Glock fan. I’ve shot many Glocks because they just work and you don’t have to care about the **** black gun. Glock has frustrated me as a company for not listening to what some wanted....for instance the 19x. It seemed backwards to what some wanted

I recently got my hands on a 19x and fell instantly in love. What a shooter. Didnt make sense why someone would want a 19 slide on a 17 frame, but I’ll be dipped... it feels amazing! That is coming from a guy who never liked the 17.

what are ya currently shooting/carrying?

Comments

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I know a lot about shotguns, a little about rifles, and zero about handguns. But one of my favorite things about DN is the wide variety of threads folks start and how much I learn from other posters who participate in the discussion. So I hope you get lots of posts in response to this and I'll be reading every one of them.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I know very little about shotguns. I’ve been wanting to dabble in the shotgun world for various reasons. I’ve had my eye on a few hunting shotguns. Any suggestions?

• GatorHaterGatorHater Posts: 83 ✭✭✭ Junior

I switch carrying between a Glock 17 w/ flashlight and S&W M&P Pro 9mm 4.25 in barrel. The 5 in barrel feels better shooting but both are great.

Wife caries a S&W M&P Shield performance center 9mm.

Also have several other glocks that I bought from GSP when I worked there (37,39,42). They don't get out of the box often. Got a few rifles and shotguns for hunting.

Currently, my carry is a 43 and has been for sometime. I carry a 642 when I have a revolver itch. I wish the 43 was on the 42 platform. Been looking for a 365 at a decent price for a moment. The gun Glock should have made.

• Raiderbeater1Raiderbeater1 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Putting a M240B together as we speak. I’m an 07/02 SOT.

I never liked carrying the 42 or 43 models. The grip being so short never felt comfortable in my hand (the slide on mine were shaved down a bit too). I always joked that if I got to the point of pulling that out, I might as well be throwing bullets because beyond 5 yrds I didn't feel accurate.

I feel comfortable carrying a full size frame concealed. My S&W has a forward slant which is more comfortable IMO.

I wish I could. Wife may use it on me if I buy another gun anytime soon lol.

Give some holster recommendations for a full size if you don’t mind

edited August 2020

A lot of it depends on your carrying preferences. I like OWB kydex holsters for my full size holsters. I custom ordered my holsters from different online vendors. The G17 I ordered specifically to fit a streamlight flashlight due to that being what I was trained to carry on duty.

I decided to try a canted holster with the S&W because the straight holstered G17 dug into my ribs driving. The canted holster doesn't dig in as much and conceals a bit better IMO.

For the 42&43 I liked using an ankle holster. There are several options for that. For the 43 I only had a safariland ankle holster but didn't use it enough to truly recommend it. I'll have to try to find my old 42 ankle holster to remember the company. It was made by an Atlanta based company and I used it with both the 42 and 43 and loved it. I never carried these without a full size frame on my hip so I can't recommend ankle over an IWB holster.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Oh lord, now my lack of expertise is going to be exposed! I'll tell you as much as I know and then maybe some other folks can add to it.

First, to your specific question, it depends on what you want it for. Birds? Squirrels? Clay targets? Home protection? (I know you mentioned hunting. I'm just answering your question in a way that's useful to anyone else who may read this.)

20-gauge was the first type I owned, generally a good place to start, lots of models out there that are reliable and inexpensive. 12-gauge is the most common and most all-purpose. But there's also 10-gauge, 16-gauge, 28-gauge, and the .410 (which is a measure of the bore rather than the gauge). The gauge has to do with the diameter of the barrel. Smaller gauge = bigger barrel.

For each different gauge there are also different types of shells you can buy with different size shot (again, depending on what your intended use is- bird shot, buck shot, etc.).

Shotguns come in single barrel and double barrel. The double barrel can be side-by-side or over-under.

Most are break action but there are also pumps and semi-auto.

If you want to impress someone, Purdey and Holland & Holland are a couple of prestige brands that you can find out there. Beretta and Browning are more my speed. Remington and Winchester are also reliable brands, and there are several others that you might find to be highly rated and well-priced if you research online.

If I could have only one shotgun I think I'd own a 12-gauge Browning Citori over-under.

• Kdubb0211Kdubb0211 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I also carry a 365XL or a CZ p10c that I just bought. Love CZ guns! I was a glock guy for a long time but sig really blew them away with the 365 and then shield arms made them look worse with the 15 round mags for the 43x. To be honest though I went with the 365xl because I wanted to start shooting with optics and by the time you got the glock 43x slide milled refinished etc you’re in it like $800 after you buy spare mags etc. with the sig you get a gun with a 12 round capacity 15 with the extended mag and a gun that’s optics ready for $550ish.

I could give you endless holster recommendations but the one company that sticks out is Tier1 concealed/concealment I forget how they word it. They make the absolute best appendix carry holster on the market.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2020

“If I could have only one shotgun I think I’d own a 12-gauge Browning Citori over-under.”

Only one shotgun? Let’s hope it never comes to that.

I own a lot of fishing rods. My wife once asked me why I needed so many and all I could think to answer was, “Well I have more shotguns than fishing rods.” What a really St.upid answer.

She said, “WHAT???” I quickly started talking about the uses and absolute necessity for so many different fishing rods. After a minute she interrupted, “How many shotguns do you have?”

“Oh, I don’t know...”

“You don’t KNOW?”

”Well I doubt I really have more than I have fishing rods.”

”Well I should hope not...GOOD LORD!”

“Exactly. I’m gonna go cut the grass.”

I’ve been sitting here thinking about which shotgun would get to stay. I can tell you, it wouldn’t be one of those funny looking stacked barrel guns because I only own sxs’s and autoloaders. Honestly, I’d probably have to go buy another shotgun if I could only have one. Likely another SBE II with a magazine tube extension. Silly to have gotten rid of my old one. Embarrassing, really.

Not much of a handgun guy. @JRT812 I carry a 638 in my pocket with a desantis nemesis. The rounded frame on the 638 doesn’t hang up like the more squared 642. I added rose wood grips so that it slides out better. The factory rubber grips would cling to the fabric. I also have a Kahr PM45 I carry on my waist under a coat.

Never have enjoyed the glocks but I’ve kept my Springfield XD for about 10 years. I have some 30rd mags that are a hoot to empty. BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM!!!!! 😎😎😎

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've never really understood why the over/under shotgun is so well thought of. I mean... it's still a shotgun. I know they're highly desired for skeet and game shooting but.... they do the same thing a pump action does IMO. I've always sort of suspected it's one of those high money = high value scams they pull on folks. But i'd be interested in hearing why they're so good, and so $$$$.

• law_dawg35law_dawg35 Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2020

I carry a Sig P320 9mm. Love the striker system.

Don't get me wrong Glock is good, and has its purpose. But overall nothing beats a Sig Sauer.

This is also the gun of choice by the U.S. army and a lot of LEO's.

• RedFiveRedFive Posts: 99 ✭✭✭ Junior

Just get with a good kydex holster maker and have them build to your liking. Or go leather.

• PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I collect and trade colt revolvers, the snake series revolvers mostly. I have several: Python’s, diamondbacks, king Cobras and anacondas

I also buy the Remington nylon 66s anytime they pop up and I can get in reasonable, don’t know how many of them I even have to be honest

rifles I have are mostly bergara and browning. Love the 6.5 PRC rifle round.

shotguns are berettas or older Remington 1100s

pistols that i shoot and carry are mostly all FN. I love the FN 509

• Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2020

I have a simple inventory...

Browning 30-06 (BAR) I got for Christmas when I was 13.

Mossberg 12 gauge I bought when I graduated from college. It was my last gun purchase.

They pretty much cover all my gun needs.

Never owned or shot a handgun. I have no problems with them. I have never had a need for one.

Now, if you want to talk bows? Well, I have gone through enough of those to outfit several hunting camps.

More times than not, my guns sit shining on the wall as my bow goes with me to the woods...

Side note - my break-barrel 12 gauge I got for Christmas when I was SEVEN (parenting?) has been missing since I went off to college. I would give thousands just to have that sucker back...