Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Suggest a replacement for Baba O’Riley

Comments

• SwagumsMcRibSwagumsMcRib Posts: 22 ✭✭ Sophomore

I know how people feel about hip hop on this forum, especially the modern stuff, but I would rotate whatever's popular at the moment. If you listen to what they play at the opening and similar events, that's what they're playing. It's what the kids are listening to. I'm not saying play WAP, but something more like Money in the grave or Turks would be a better choice.

Also, how long have they been playing Baba O'Reilly? Because I can understand if you've heard it so many times pregame that it's become what you associate with Georgia football. I just can see a lot of kids thinking, "Why are we listening to some rock song that older than our parents?"

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The older crowd will get over it if we switch from Baba O'Reilly. It doesn't rise to the level of "tradition."

Googling "Money in the Grave" and "Turks" right now. Thanks for the reply.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2020

Ok, did my homework.

Money in the Grave (impressively) finds a way to incorporate f#ck, n1ggas, and h0es in the first three lines, whereas Turks manages nine lines before the first occurrence of offensive language, so I guess I can get behind the latter if that's what the students would like.

Appreciate the feedback.

EDIT: For the record, I didn't just look up the lyrics. I listened to the songs. And what I heard was, "f#ck, n1ggas, and h0es."

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That’s why you can’t let students be the primary in any such decision. This generation hasn’t matured their decision making yet, and doesn’t comprehend the issue of children in the stands, or the concept of a civilized mind. Yo and I were listening to HipHop and rap music when we were in our teens, but it wasn’t the garbage/art of today. Public Enemy, Run DMC, Will Smith, Beastie Boys, Ice Cube, cypress Hill, Tupac, NWA, Salt n Pepper are just a few examples. Luke Skywalker was around back then, but NOBODY would have suggested that be played in a setting with adults or children. The statement regarding how the forum feels about hip hop ignores the fact today’s hiphop is really just a constant assault on societal norms and acceptable language. It’s actually ridiculous to listen to the stuff as anything other than a novelty act.

• JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2020

Back in Black 😉

@GruvenDawg

I was very surprised to see a Chemical Bros suggestion, much less a song I've never heard from them. I actually dig that one a lot. I like it's tone, I like it's subject, I like that it's far enough off the cuff that no one else would use it. If they were to actually make a change, that's my favorite one so far.

• SAVDGDSAVDGD Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Idk, I've never been a huge fan of The Who. It's an ok song, though kinda "weak sauce" in my humble opinion. But it does fit the criteria of "non-explicit, sing-along, upbeat, mostly timeless/age-neutral"

I'd rather hear 100 other songs, but I can't think of one that fits those criteria any better.

• BrooklynDawgBrooklynDawg Posts: 822 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2020

Why don't we ask the current players what they want? They are the ones we are getting hyped for, to in turn, get hype from. If there are profanity and other questionable language then use the instrumental. If I look on the field and the vast majority of the players are not about to lose their minds then I dont want it. SC has a great DJ. LSU has a great DJ. Bama has a great DJ. And for those that say WAP is the only reason why this generation shouldn't chose the song needs to oil those knees and sit back down in the recliner. 1 song does not define the whole generation or genre of music. Fun fact kids, the early Blues days (1920's-30's), Country (50's-60's), Rock and Roll (60's-90's), and even Pop (50's-90's) has some of the most explicit language and innuendos in music history.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2020

Totally agree with the idea of just dropping the lyrics. The music is the magic.

The part about past music being more explicit is revisionist history. There were outliers. The music scene is saturated with artists who lack vocabulary today.

edited August 2020

If I was a player today:

Pop Smoke : Welcome To The Party or Dior (instrumental)

LIL **** Vert: Futsal Shuffle (clean or instrumental is fine)

Anything Future: (Instrumental or chorus only) I personally say Jumpman.

If I was a player in the early 2000s-2010s

Young Joc: Going Down

Crime Mob: Knuck If You Buck

Pastor Troy: This The City or No Mo Play In GA

AGAIN, this would be my choice. The players should choose for themselves which song to use. I would be fine if they didn't choose these songs.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Can someone do a new song called “The Buck Starts Here” ???

I know this is a day dreaming post. But I recently discovered this gem of a song. It's not well known, but I think it would fit a kickoff song perfectly

• LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Keep The Who..."Won't Get Fooled Again"

start off in the middle of the song, right before the drum solo...kind of like CSI: Miami right after Horatio says something like, "And we're going to catch him." YEAHHHHHH...

• pocoyopocoyo Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

MC5. "Kick out the jams". (Would need a slight edit 😁)

• PlayHurtPlayHurt Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Bigjohnson92Bigjohnson92 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Definitely a loud rap song none of the fans know. Needs plenty of obscenities and lots of sexual innuendo. And some elements of wokeness if possible.