Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia WR Dominick Blaylock suffers torn ACL to previously injured knee

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited August 2020 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia WR Dominick Blaylock suffers torn ACL to previously injured knee

ATHENS — Georgia sophomore receiver Dominick Blaylock has suffered an ACL tear that will require surgery, according to a DawgNation source. Blaylock had previously suffered a torn ACL to the same knee in the first quarter of the SEC Championship Game against LSU and underwent surgery in December. RELATED: New Georgia

Read the full story here

Comments

• 1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I hate this for Dominick, was looking forward to an outstanding season from Mr. Blaylock. Best wishes for a speedy, and full recovery young man..GoDAWGS!

• 97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited August 2020

That stinks! He was probably pushing hard in an effort to be ready; I wish he had given it more time, but I understand his desire to compete. I hate it for him, and I wish him the best.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We will certainly miss Blaylock this season. He was set to to put up some outstanding stats. UGA will have to look to Robertson, Jackson and Burton. I'd say a pretty good trio. Good to know speedster Arian Smith will likely return by game day. Hopefully Blaylock will be back to full health for his Junior year?

• tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Hope you get well soon. Keep your chin up, hopefully there will be better tomorrows,

• kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Hate this for dom. He's got a ton of potential. Now players like Bush, tongue, landers, and others who were here last year will wake up and put in work.

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I am so sorry to hear this for Dom and will be praying for him.

Does anyone know yet how this tear occurred? Is this common for someone recovering from ACL to tear again in the same leg while doing straight line running?

• kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Another thing people forget, not only does he have one of the best drs looking over him at UGA, he's also got a teammate who's tore both of his ACLs. I know it's different being the same leg, but look at how zamir looks. Don't give up Dom. Just lean on your brothers, they'll get you thru.

• ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 789 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This sucks! I hate this for Dom. He has worked so hard, and to blow the same knee out really sucks.

Keep you head up Dom!

• EricDawgs1EricDawgs1 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This could be a blessing for him. He'll get a new acl and have the whole off-season to recover and redshirt this yr.

• WalteregoWalterego Posts: 11 ✭ Freshman

JayDog, this is common when MDs, PTs, and ATCs dont's follow the most up to date science and exist within a system that stressed money and return to spork no matter the medium-term and long-term cost to young athletes? This should be basic, common knowledge but the system is designed to fail young athletes over and over and over. Can you imagine the ATC who "pumps the breaks" on a return to sport following ACL repair when an athlete has a 4 year window? He'd be rolled over or fired despite following the evidence. Note: there is plenty of evidence that waiting until the 11th month helps (see why White tore his contralateral ACL (most common injury in post-ACL return to sport), but most programs won't even do that basic responsible act for these young men.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5226931/

"However, the current approach of early, accelerated rehabilitation programs and the expected timeline to recover in 6 to 12 months is deleterious because the athlete is not completely recovered which predisposes them to an increased risk for a second ACL injury. The young, active athlete who attempts to resume sports participation at the same competitive level has a nearly 1 in 3 chance of going on to a second ACL injury within the first or second year post-ACLR. Therefore, the evidence advocates that these athletes delay a return to sports for two-years to mitigate the unacceptably high risk for a second ACL injury, especially in those under 20 years of age."

The above doesn't even address the higher risk of contralateral knee injury with too early return to sport from ACL repair. It just speaks to REinjury. And THAT risk is too high. I guarantee you this eyoung men are NEVER informed of these risks.

Just like the NCAA isn't looking out for athletes during a pandemic, they've never been looking out for them after injury. I'm a PT.