Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

WATCH: Georgia football players, coaches speak out on matters of social injustice

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited August 2020 in Article commenting
imageWATCH: Georgia football players, coaches speak out on matters of social injustice

A number of Georgia football players and coaches have made their voices heard on social media in the wake of the Jacob Blake being shot seven times in the back by Kenosha, Wi., police. The Georgia football Twitter account released a video on Thursday evening featuring a number of prominent voices, from wide receivers

Read the full story here

Comments

• jarred_buckjarred_buck Posts: 958 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Proud of our young men that represent the G!

• khummelkhummel Posts: 801 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wow, powerful stuff. Thanks for sharing/highlighting, Connor.

• 97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This:

"These players need us to stand up to bigotry, racial injustice, and systemic racism. If they are good enough to suit up and play football to entertain football fans and bring in a large amount of revenue for the university, then they should be good enough for us to stand behind them, stand up for them, and speak out for what’s not right! And it’s not right for black men to have to live in fear for their life, being racially profiled by police, and being treated as less than a human."

• RealityBasedDawgFanRealityBasedDawgFan Posts: 198 ✭✭✭ Junior

I wonder if Kyle Rittenhouse, the Kenosha coward who murdered innocent people would qualify as one the "elite white people" that Jake Fromm wished only would get access to guns in America.

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm proud of the UGA players and coaches for speaking up for a right cause.

I'm also proud that they did it in an un-divisive way.

I'm with these players, and I'm also with Herschel Walker who said “Just because someone loves and respects the flag, our National Anthem, and our country doesn’t mean they don’t care about social justice. I care about all of those things."

Stand up for what we all know is right, and do with in a way that brings people together.

Many are influencing this right cause in negative and dangerous ways as to inflame and divide Americans by racial lines. Those people don't care about black lives. Those people care only about their influence and how it can help them achieve political power.

• 97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited August 2020

One other thought: If you are white and you disagree with the sentiments in the video or in the comments, please seek out people of other ethnicities and talk with them. Find out what many of them experience and try to gain some insight into why many of them feel as they do. We desperately need to develop that mutual understanding in our society.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Young men, please respect the authorities. Do what they say, when they say do it. Do not under any circumstances wrestle with them, put your hand in your pants while turning away from them, try to steal their tazers or smart off to them. Don't do drugs. Don't have rap sheets. Treat them like you would your parents and you will be just fine.

This is not a racist statement. This is the exact same thing that any good parent would teach or want their child to do. White , black, yellow or brown. Period.!

I feel for the black community because every day they are fed the lie that Lebron James is feeding them that there are seriously angry white cops that would like nothing better than to murder an innocent young black man. Until we can speak to the lies then we can't even hear truth.

• HunkerDawgHunkerDawg Posts: 76 ✭✭✭ Junior

YES, communication is the key, and it is a 2-way street. We will NEVER get change if anybody that doesn't immediately agree with everything you say is condemned, and if we can't together acknowledge the dangerous situations that police are put in when suspects resist arrest, while we are looking for solutions. I believe you when you say that your experience with police is different than mine, and that is NOT acceptable because police trust is necessary in a functioning society.

@sbolden7, you go too far and paint with too broad a brush about our society to expect everyone to grab their torches and rush into the fray. I'm not sure what "policies that suppress and oppress" you specifically have in mind. If you're talking about potential police reform in a way that still fights crime, I'm there. But either way, make your case first.

@97GradyDawg, that is a good idea. And it works the other way too. If you wonder why some aren't joining you in broad condemnation of our society and calling for the destruction of our institutions, don't assume that they dismiss everything you say and accuse them of being part of the problem. Talk to them.