Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart: 2020 SEC football championship asterisk means 'Toughest team there ever was'

SystemSystem Posts: 7,419 admin
edited August 2020 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart: 2020 SEC football championship asterisk means 'Toughest team there ever was'

Georgia football coach Kirby Smart essentially scoffed at the notion that any championship this season should be viewed in a lesser fashion because some programs shut down.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The wear and tear of playing a 10 game SEC schedule will without a doubt be the toughest conference schedule of the modern era.

Whoever comes out on top will deserve it!

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The only asterisk needed is for the teams that don’t play and still got votes in the polls.

• Options
    BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

I would say so if we were not dealing with the virus....There maybe games where half the starting line up might be out because of quarantine.....Imagine Arkansas playing Alabama where Arkansas has all of their starters but 75% of the Alabama team is out.......Arkansas may not win but it would be interesting

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2020

Only time will tell how valid/realistic the on-field comparisons really are from week to week. With minimal player and staff attrition throughout the conference as a whole, yes there will be a strong case for this year's SEC champ to be named the strongest ever. If every week we're being introduced to half a roster's worth of players who probably wouldn't normally see the field, then who's to say how the rankings would have played out under semi-normal circumstances? It's true that all teams are dealing with the same situation; I'm wondering more about variability between teams than the general lack of normalcy altogether. If one of the stronger teams gets hit harder than the rest of the conference, or a good-not-great team is fortunate enough to be relatively unaffected while most other contenders are struggling with the virus in a significant way, it may be to argue that such scenarios wouldn't have skewed the results with respect to naming a champion. Again, time will tell. This all applies the the conference schedule. However the SEC plays out, I have a hard time imagining a national championship not being eternally contested by a large portion of the population. I'm not commenting one way or the other as to whether it SHOULD be contested, just saying I think it'll happen.

I don't want this to come across as nay saying. I honestly have no idea whether proceeding with the season will be a good idea or a bad idea. So much depends on the extent to which everyone involved can maintain vigilance and avoid complacency and poor or misguided decisions, and as I see it that's up in the air right now. But I do know that since it's happening, we might as well enjoy it. I trust Smart not to put his players and coaches in a bad situation, and like the mentality with which he is approaching it from a competitive standpoint.

• Options
    Dawg365Dawg365 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I certainly hope the UGA players and staff are taking their self-imposed pandemic protocol seriously. I have a feeling the team that is able to keep its starters healthy is the team that will win the most games.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The SEC is by far the dominant conference. The outcome of the season should enthrone that team as national champ...but then there is always ACC winner Clemson who will insist on playing the SEC winner...if the season even progresses that far? Maybe Covid ends up champ.....huh?

Let's hope not.