Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Auburn has 16 football players out with COVID-related issues

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited August 2020 in Article commenting
imageAuburn has 16 football players out with COVID-related issues

Auburn is having a tough time with COVID-19. Tigers coach Gus Malzahn revealed to the media that 16 of his players will miss practice this week due to COVID-related issues. Auburn’s football team had nine new positive cases of COVID – and had to cancel two practices last week, along with Saturday’s scrimmage. “I

Read the full story here

Comments

• Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I hate to hear this, and I certainly wish them all well. Has any player from any team gotten very ill from this virus?

• VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That’s a great question I have yet to hear an answer about. Especially in light of the cdc’s new information released about the deaths ( 95% were related to underlying conditions) it makes one wonder.

• rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This could very well work to auburn's advantage later in the season. Although some "experts" disagree, I believe that once a person is infected and recovers, they are immune. If this is true, auburn could be strong when being strong is most important. I'm certainly not an auburn fan so this is merely a personal observation.

• BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

I notice that no other SEC team has come out to announce statistics such as these. I would say that the first inclination of many teams would be to try to cover up the numbers. That might be difficult especially trying to explain why 20 players are not at practice.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2020

Folks, imagine if this happens in the middle of the season...for even one or two key players....you might be out (2) games...could kill any chances for a title run. And if a team who has key players affected and missing when they play a game - and loses - will that be another issue to potentially 'tarnish' this season and render a National Championship much less a 'National Champion' a joke?

I have been unable to find any 'tracking' information concerning nationwide college football players being hospitalized or dying due to COVID. I did read earlier in the summer a Penn State player had been hospitalized. According to the NYTimes as of 8/26, there were 504 UGA students & faculty who tested positive for COVID. The Red and Black COVID tracker for students & faculty today said 698 cases and one death.

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Normally, I'd say that that this is advantagous to Georgia, but this virus is different. It's bad for everybody. The 1,000+ cases at Bama with them instructing teachers to hide the details on and now this means that likely every school has a growing issue. I'm not sure if we'll make it to football season...

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So you've done your own research. Please share more of your findings, as we need all the help we can get right now. Don't worry, I wouldn't dream of labeling you an expert.